Magnolia is having identity crisis

amyole

I have just started the Magnolia and it is a very interesting house. I checked out the team build, which was fun to see and have searched for images on-line - which mostly go back to this forum. After a dry fit, I primed and started putting the shell together. The problem is, the house is not telling me what she wants to be. I am thinking cottage style, but I don't know if it's beach cottage, country cottage... Who knew this house would be so particular?:dunno:

19 minutes ago, amyole said:

... Who knew this house would be so particular?:dunno:

Me.  When I first saw one put together without any decoration in a hobby store I thought, Florida Cracker house (having come upon the ruins of one on a hike in the Apalachicola National Forest), and as I was taking the parts out of the box and putting them into dry fit I realized that was, indeed, what my Magnolia wanted to become.  One of the miniature magazines many years ago showed one someone had built to be the house in "The Ghost and Mrs Muir".  Many times when a kit or its picture doesn't speak to me, putting it into dry fit will.  It might want you to bash it somehow.  Cracker houses often didn't have interior bathrooms, but mine wanted one.

Has it told you it wants a skylight or dormer atop that bathroom roof? A beach cottage would benefit from that addition.

I also saw a magnolia done up as a vintage farmhouse --with black shingled roof and all white exterior. it looked surprisingly good and the details still stood out.

Good luck! My Glencroft waited until after I built it to tell me it was from the 30's, and needed some redoing. So I redid it (floors and new window trim, added a wall) and yes indeed the house knew best.

Houses are indeed often VERY set on the look they want to achieve, I have had years of not working on one house as I had this Idea the Chantilly should be a Victorian house and She would have nothing to do with that as She wanted soft and airy Scandinavian modern style instead...

looking forward to seeing your Magnolia start to blossom

9303-Magnolia-Dollhouse-PF-Zoom.jpg&stag

Here's a cute Queen Anne style: 

0cf5c4fc0b29c9c7b46f05d77d59f4da.jpg 

Would also look really nice in a Gothic Revival style:

XL_25535_2006-08-21_009.jpg

Or a Tudor Revival look:

702-Washington-St-Montpelier-ID-83254.jp

These are only a few examples I could think of that won't require a lot of bashing, of course your imagination really is the limit! :bigwink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

One of the miniature magazines many years ago showed one someone had built to be the house in "The Ghost and Mrs Muir".  

Oh man, I love that movie! That must have been a cool house. Hopefully it came sans the frustrated sea capatin.

Perhaps it could be an Anne of Green Gables house?

IMG_0952.JPG

Thank you, Ashley and Miranda, for the pictures. I don't usually get much of a vision during the dry fit, maybe I am too focused on the pieces instead of the house as a whole. I do know that the stairs are a point of contention: they are really cute and architecturally interesting but hurt the sight lines. I have considered different stairs or eliminating them.

The house is really charming me, though. The living room is spacious and has lots of potential. The kitchen gives me the feel of a grandmother's kitchen, warm and inviting. I like the bedroom with the balcony. I am having problems with a large bathroom with a balcony so I think the bathroom will be in the imaginary half of the house (since it will be donated, the new owner will get to decide what to do with that room).

I'm impatient but the house is not!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, amyole said:

I do know that the stairs are a point of contention: they are really cute and architecturally interesting but hurt the sight lines. I have considered different stairs or eliminating them.

I get what you mean, hmmm you could extend the porch a bit, would still look great with the balcony upstairs, something like this:

ee2f827c5dcb5369cde844b20e5aa56b.jpg

I vote country cottage... I think the magnolia looks more like a country cottage than a beach one IMHO. Plus, then you can do a lovely grandma's country kitchen. :D

3 hours ago, Mineejv said:

Under your "Team Mastre Builder"

in the wee box you mention I have an X, not a ?; there used to be flags there once upon a time, that fluttered, and it proved to be a real problem for those of our members prone to seizures and was annoying for some o the rest of us, so they were removed.

Thanks for the info. Your box on my computer has a ? , not an X . May be they should put a little house....... there.

Should I have started a new thread  when l asked that question ?  I'm still trying to figure out this forum...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, amyole said:

Question: Has anyone tried painting the brick (is it contact paper? not sure what it really is) that comes with the Magnolia or should I just "whip up" a paper clay version?

Mine is a FL Cracker house, so no brick (it's not contact paper); it seemed more like texture plastic, so ought to paint OK.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, amyole said:

Just found this on Pinterest and it looks so much like a real life Magnolia. Hope the link works.

http://pin.it/MmUKHIx

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

It really looks like a Dura-craft Heritage to me. :drool2:

With the bay and the porch it puts me in mind of either the Westville or the Coventry Cottage on steroids.