Right angle clamp/glue jig recommendations?

Elsbeth

I use a non-stick (glue comes right off) cookie sheet, neodymium magnets (coated) & a small square or 2.

Walls:

gallery_4762_5211_142470.png

Edited by mesp2k
corrected neodymium spelling :D

40 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I've only ever had limited success with pony clamps (right angle clamps).  I use this magnetic gluing jig I got from Micro Mark for small jobs like stairs & furniture:  http://www.micromark.com/Magnetic-Gluing-Jig-10-1-4-Inch-Square

I have that same glue jig from micromark - and I love it for making furniture and 1:48 scale items. But I find it doesn't give me the clamping I want for a good strong right angle. But it is great for smaller scale buildings and furniture. 

15 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

I use a non-stick (glue comes right off) cookie sheet, nobelium magnets (coated) & a small square or 2.

Walls:

gallery_4762_5211_142470.png

That looks like some kind of droid! lol!  It looks like it would work, tho.

• Like 1

That picture is not the cookie sheet jig - if anybody was wondering :D

For a stronger hold on your Micromark jig try using some neodymium magnets

- can buy on ebay (25pk 8 bucks)

Just a small 1/4" cube has a pull force of almost 7lbs!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I can barely remove the magnets that came with my MM jig as it is!

Wasn't sure that jig came with strong magnets.  I glued some of my magnets

to 'L' shaped brackets for ez placement.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I'd definitely say it has strong magnets.  I have two sets, and use them all the time for various projects.  I think they did a great job when I was working on the Fairfield, which has fairly thin wood.  They do not work on the Merrimack, which has much thicker wood.  The manufacturer provided a limit of thickness on which they would work. I was going to look it up, but I don't even see them in Micro Mark any more.  They have several other options that look interesting, though.

37 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I was going to look it up, but I don't even see them in Micro Mark any more.  They have several other options that look interesting, though.

See 2nd post above, Holly has link. :)I think that's the one you're talk'n 'bout Deborah ??

I like that MM jig, and I likethe magnets - it is fantastic for furniture. But I haven't felt the right angle feature is enough for me.

Hmmmm...I like this discussion - great info and ideas! Thanks!

43 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

See 2nd post above, Holly has link. :)I think that's the one you're talk'n 'bout Deborah ??

Actually, it's not, but I really like that one and am seriously thinking about getting it.  No, these are clamps that I can use to hold walls together.  They look like this:

exl10089.jpg.b66cec6cea62219f80468aba527

They must not be made any more, because although I could find the picture, it didn't link to anything any more.  These seem similar:

http://www.micromark.com/Bachmann-Right-Angle-Hold-Glue-Set-2-Holders

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Building Bunkbeds:  2

Me, too, Holly! I have a small screwdriver that I keep with the magnets. I put it into the middle hole in the magnets to pop them off. I also bought an extra couple sets of magnets on eBay and now usually have enough - I'm a multi-tasker!

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Actually, it's not, but I really like that one and am seriously thinking about getting it.  No, these are clamps that I can use to hold walls together.  They look like this:

Neat!

At Home Depot look in the lumber/decking section - they have cheap ($0.58ea) galvanized brackets.

1-3/8"D x 2"T x 1-1/2"W

a965b1bf-633c-4b9b-8e04-8077d69fc2f2_100

Stick or glue a flat magnet on the bottom...EZ to remove from jig. (Holly & Jodi)

36cc22fa-ccc3-49a3-92c5-f4589e45b19a_100  58c989fda2101_stredg.png.d504603ff04ca05

BTY: this 18" x 1-1/4" x ~1/16"thk.,  galvanized strip - makes a nice straight edge - same dept.

Edited by mesp2k
add dimensions
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

They must not be made any more, because although I could find the picture, it didn't link to anything any more.  These seem similar:

Now that right-angle clamp might work.  This is the kind I have,, and we don't get along:

Image result for right-angle pony clamp

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I saw the rite way clamps in the catalog --was considering them --you like them? 

Oh Holly --I saw those red clamps and thought about them but read they don't really hold small things together. I'm glad you posted about them! They have a good price on Amazon, but not if they don't work.

11 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I saw the rite way clamps in the catalog --was considering them --you like them? 

I do.  They worked well for walls (as long as they're not too thick), and I've also used them for things as small as picture frames.

Jenn, the pony clamps are lousy for clamping the dollhouse walls together.  I actually do better setting the floor tabs into the wall slots and then taping the walls together along the corner edge until the glue dries.  I also use bar clamps sometimes:  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=image+bar+clamps&qpvt=image+bar+clamps&qpvt=image+bar+clamps&qpvt=image+bar+clamps&FORM=IGRE