Greetings from Vermont

AuntBea

Hello - I'm glad to have found you! I am not new to dollhouses, having had two as a young girl but I am new to building and decorating one to scale and with all the fabulous things I keep discovering. I have my first dollhouse on my work table, and my second and third well-established in my mind. I fall asleep decorating!! I read and 'shop' daily for information and things for my house; but I reach out to you all today because I have just ordered two Chrysnbon kits - the teacart and the pedestal table and two chairs. I initially thought I would avoid anything non-wood, but I kept reading such great things about Chrysnbon, and I really just wanted to try my and at building something while the big parts of putting the house together are still underway (shingling roof, wiring and waiting for wallpaper and fabric to arrive from England). Now I am in search of tips - some of which I have already found here - and I am realizing that I should be posting this detailed request elsewhere!! My apologies - I'll go find that spot now! Thanks in advance for your help and encouragement!!

Hi and welcome!

I just put together the pedestal table and two chairs.  I painted them after they were assembled (you can see a picture of them in my gallery).  This was my first Chrysnbon assembly and it was super easy.  Since I planned on painting the pieces white I wasn't so worried about them not being wood.  The only advice I have is get plastic model glue.  It "melts" the plastic for a better bond.  I used Testors but I'm sure any brand would do.

Hi, AndreaJane, and thank you! I do plan to paint the table and chairs white - regular acrylic paint? Did you add any kind of clear finish? I did not ever understand that the secret of model glue is the melting of the plastic, but it makes sense. I believe I can find Testors or something similar in my small town. I'm very much looking forward to the kits arriving in the mail!

I used Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer for all surfaces in a spray can.  Because I am lazy.  Ha!  Actually I found that I get better, more even coverage using spray paint.  It is a matte finish though.  If you want more satin or glossy finish you could go with a clear coat or a shot of glossier white.  

• Like 1

Hi, Mike - For Christmas, I received the RGT Victorian Cottage, Jr., which I have rechristened The Hydrangea House, as that is my favorite flower and color and color scheme of the house. I have grand plans - we shall see how they work out!!! I've chosen not to follow a Victorian-era style, though, just cottage. 

Welcome to the little family, Beth.  What other two kits are you building?  I painted the Chrysnbon cookware, first using Rustoleum flat gray aerosol for a primer and then regular acrylics (I use them straight from the tube and mix my own colors that way) and sealed them with cler nail enamel, although to grunge up the cookstove I just gave it a wash of raw sienna:

P3150069.JPG KathieB's views:  the bathroom

I am very partial to Chrysnon kits; for the woodgrain items I have been known to use regular woodstain, like on the butter churn and the medicine cupboard & commode tool seat & lid.  Be sure to use the Testor's model cement in the red tube.