Punching Out - Any Tricks or Tips?

Grundor

Hello,

Building a Harrison for my daughter.  My first build and her first dollhouse.  

I have the foundation built which was a nice way to get my feet wet on something that was pretty straightforward.

I have been using a utility knife/razor knife to punch the parts out, but am finding this pretty tedious.  The blade often gets trapped in the slot, and is hard to pull out.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cleanly punching out those pesky parts that aren't really stamped through?  What tools have folks found most effective?

Thanks!

-Mark

57 minutes ago, Grundor said:

I have been using a utility knife/razor knife to punch the parts out, but am finding this pretty tedious.  The blade often gets trapped in the slot, and is hard to pull out.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cleanly punching out those pesky parts that aren't really stamped through?  What tools have folks found most effective?

A utility knife with new blades, a light touch, and a bucket of patience.

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forum.

As to your question: many of us use a sharp utility knife. Instead of pressing it into the slot, use a series of lighter drags on both sides to deepen the stamped line. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the tips! 

I was pretty nervous about starting on this, but I can tell from the little I've done that just about anything is "fixable" with patience.

Thanks again!

-Mark

The utility knife/ box cutter with retractable blade is also my cutter of choice.  We granny ladies have discovered that several lighter passes of the knife blade along those score lines and change the blade the minute you feel it begin to "drag" works best for those die cuts that didn't make it all the way through.  Invest in some masking or blue painter tape and dry fit your house as you go, to make adjustments to the tabs & slots for a more perfect fir, to see how the house will look when it's together, to see which areas will be impossible to get your (or you daughter's) hand/s in to decorate after it's built and to see if you have figured out the instructions.  I also find that dry fitting sometimes makes the house tell me changes it wants (bashing).

When you find a few minutes, do post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  I want to know a bit about the lucky little girl who's getting a Harrison!