New Builder from Maine

Grundor

Hello all,

Quick introduction from a new builder from the cold and snowy (still!) state of Maine.

I am 47 and have just started building the Harrison (first time building anything like this) for my (turning) 8 year old daughter.  Hoping to be well on way to a finished product by mid-summer, but have warned her that this is a lot of work!  She is very patient, and excited at the same time to see the work starting.  Her older brother built her a little cardboard house she hangs out in sometimes to keep me company in the basement while I am working.

I am sure I will have lots of newbie questions, so it is great to have this resource available and so lively with folks that have been there and done that.

As a software engineer, I am plenty patient and have a logical mind for constructing things - but these skills are mostly practiced in the virtual/theoretical world!  So this is a challenge, but one that seems quite surmountable with patience.  I have built smaller wooden and plastic models - nothing ever of this size and scope!

A couple of questions:

1. What is best way to fill larger gaps between pieces that don't fit as well as they should?  In my specific case, the height of one of the foundation strips around the bottom of the first floor was shorter than the rest.  I glued it such that it would line up even with the bottom of the other strips (so the house would sit stable), but that leaves a gap between the first floor and the top of the strip.  I have the stainable elmer's wood filler which would like fill it, but wondering if folks prefer to fill larger gaps with a wood scrap?

2. The quality of one of the wood sheets in the kit is quite poor.  It would likely be serviceable, but it is just really bad quality - looks like a lot of filler or something was used on it to try and salvage a bad piece of plywood.  Is this something that Greeleaf customer support can easily replace?

-Mark

• Like 2

Welcome! :wave:   There are plenty of folks here willing to give their help, hints and suggestions.  :) 

As for your question about the gap....I would use a piece of scrap and fashion a little piece to fit into the gap, then when it dries, give it a coat of spackle and sand.  

Another option would be to use the short piece as a template and cut out a replacement piece that is the correct length/width needed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grundor said:

Hello all,

Quick introduction from a new builder from the cold and snowy (still!) state of Maine.

I am 47 and have just started building the Harrison (first time building anything like this) for my (turning) 8 year old daughter....A couple of questions:

1. What is best way to fill larger gaps between pieces that don't fit as well as they should?  In my specific case, the height of one of the foundation strips around the bottom of the first floor was shorter than the rest.  I glued it such that it would line up even with the bottom of the other strips (so the house would sit stable), but that leaves a gap between the first floor and the top of the strip.  I have the stainable elmer's wood filler which would like fill it, but wondering if folks prefer to fill larger gaps with a wood scrap?

2. The quality of one of the wood sheets in the kit is quite poor.  It would likely be serviceable, but it is just really bad quality - looks like a lot of filler or something was used on it to try and salvage a bad piece of plywood.  Is this something that Greeleaf customer support can easily replace?

-Mark

The best way to fill tiny gaps is with spackling compound, larger ones with scrap wood.  "Stainable" wood putty isn't (BTDT).  Of course you are dry fitting, at least as you go along, and when you get ready to glue you will use a good carpenter's wood glue, NOT hot glue.  You are three years younger than I was when I built my first dollhouse kit, which went to my eldest granddaughter.

4 hours ago, Sable said:

Yes, contact Greenleaf Customer Service info  on Home page and they will send you a new sheet.  

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/about-us/greenleaf_dollhouse.html

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the south. Your daughter will have a wonderful house when this is finished. It's also great that she is watching you build it - she will have fabulous memories and the house will have extra special meaning for her.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Welcome Mark. :wave:

How cute your daughter keeps you company in the basement while you are working... You guys are going to have a lot of fun when it comes time to pick wallpapers, flooring and interior furnishings. :D