French Country Manor Update

miniaddicted

2 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Grape Toile by itself and with scroll

large.58e96899249f5_grapeandscroll.jpg.d

I would do all the walls with the scroll and add interest with wall art of various sorts. To my eye, the grape toile is way too big. It's overwhelming. But then I have a very muted gold-on-gold wallpaper in my real kitchen, so I may be a bit biased.

I agree with KathieB.  

I find it difficult buying wallpaper online.  I have a 4-1/2" high stack of Itsy Bitsy wallpaper most of which I will never use for various reasons.  I have no problem buying Brodnax Prints paper online as I always have their printed catalogs so I can see the paper in print in my hands (I just don't order directly from them). 

i am wondering why those of you ordering Itsy Bitsy papers are not orderig directly from their website?

i

I agree the scroll print is the best. However, you may be able to use the grape toile on a small wall... on a large one it is a bit overwhelming.

10 hours ago, queenannediva said:

I agree with KathieB.  

I find it difficult buying wallpaper online.  I have a 4-1/2" high stack of Itsy Bitsy wallpaper most of which I will never use for various reasons.  I have no problem buying Brodnax Prints paper online as I always have their printed catalogs so I can see the paper in print in my hands (I just don't order directly from them). 

i am wondering why those of you ordering Itsy Bitsy papers are not orderig directly from their website?

I do have 4 of Itsy Bitsy catalogs, and I do order directly from her website.  First, she has removed many of the wallpapers from her site, not sure if it's due to an agreement with other mini online sites who carry her paper. Second, the photos in her catalog and on any website I've seen them are not to scale but rather to show detail of the pattern. Third, I have only one brick and mortar and she only has a small representative selection. So, yes, this makes choosing her papers online a challenge.  

Up until now, I have somehow been successful and happy with my selections and scale, but it's truly become frustrating and expensive. 

If anyone has any tips or sites that give you a true scale oh her papers, please share!

I'm going to return the farm toile. In all fairness to Itsy Bitsy Mini - I snapped a few shots of the paper and the catalog. But the small snippet in the catalog is just too hard to judge. The online photos are misleading as well.

Itsy scale.jpg

farmtoile.jpg

32 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Can you cut out the grape pattern, and frame them? Then hang those in a grouping. Then you can have your red and gold. :)

Clever idea!

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I think you made a great choice, too. But as I said earlier, I'm a bit biased. 

Yep, toned down walls will allow more flexibility in adding decorative art.

I have now also papered the MBR and the 2nd floor hall. 

large.2ndflpaperedrooms.jpg.b12079e9e3f5

Wallpaper dilemmas have plagued me with this house recently. Went to the local shop yesterday and picked up a few to experiment with. I settled on a stripe for the other large room on the 2nd floor. It may be a boy's room but didn't want too youthful of a paper. I love how it turned out and will give me some flexibility as to how I furnish it. 

I primed the insides of the 2nd story 'attic' spaces above the end wings of the house. One of those rooms will be a bathroom, and I think I've decided on a paper for that. But getting them primed was the first step. 

I figured it was time I stained the first floor wood floors  - got out my cherry stain and gave them a coat. While they were drying, I decided to experiment with a couple of stains for the study wood floor - the mixed wood strips and squares. The same cherry stain wasn't working, neither was a more oak like stain, and I found a compromise between cherry and oak that complements both woods on the floor. 

large.woodfloors.jpg.3c3e10c2cbe001d9fe3

large.studyStainedfloor.jpg.b0f6a92bed89

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The study wood floor took a turn for the worse. I did another round of stain on my main cherry floors, and proceeded to do the same with it...forgetting I used a different color stain. So now its too dark. I tried a few things - sanding way down, and then staining with different color. I think its a lost cause. I've got some Brodnax parquet on order - that will work out much better. 

In the meantime, I did get polyurethane on the first 2 floors of wood, and have moved on to crown, baseboard etc in the living room. Its coming along well - I've got some frieze from Falcon that I used before for a Whitledge roombox and am doing that same thing. A strip of wood behind the regular crown to project it out a bit, then the frieze below it. I'm happy with how its turning out, although its going to mean some time and patience around the fireplace. I will need to touch up with spackle and paint in corners to fill my gaps. 

I'm also doing the wainscoting paper from World Miniatures, and baseboard. I only have the fireplace wall to finish now. 

large.livingroom_wainscot.jpg.8ec9b117b3

• Like 2