French Country Manor Update

miniaddicted

Today I finished crown and baseboard in the foyer. So now I have 2 rooms totally done! I did put on a coat of stain on the stairs, no pics yet. 

large.59063c2206ad9_livingroomdone.jpg.0

large.foyer.jpg.24e8d99380410a7166a32bf4

Edited by miniaddicted
added pics

The crown looks great! How do you handle the stair hole edge.. I'm wondering myself for my house and am interested in what people do with it when your crown moulding runs into it?

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

How do you handle the stair hole edge.. I'm wondering myself for my house and am interested in what people do with it when your crown moulding runs into it?

Good question Sam! I was considering this and decided to stop the crown at the opening of the hole. I will have to fill the indent above the wallpaper, which is the thickness of the 2nd floor, but it will probably just be white. 

Gosh, I've been working for hours on my house today. I am not sure what I did in the first 4 hours...I did get started on my chimney breast for the dining room, but I haven't finished it yet. I'm futzing with the staircase, stain and paint. I'm not too confident it will turn out well. I don't seem to have the patience to do this when the entire staircase is already built and together. 

I have painted 4 windows, what shows on the inside. I had been so worried about how I was going to paint them. They don't come apart like some windows...but the glass is real glass, so once I was done, I simply got out my razor blade and scraped off the paint! Holy smokes, I wish all windows had glass!

I did spend the evening laying wood strips for the 3 floors in the 3rd level of the house. Glad they got done - large and time consuming. Will need stain but that's not hard. 

large.590fe479914f3_backofhouse.jpg.24a8

• Like 3

Thanks Sam!

I spent time today painting the risers and underside of the stairs, and I think I'm calling it done. I don't think I can consider doing the balusters, its just so painstaking. I have considered doing fretwork trim on the side of the stair risers. 

LT013.jpg

large.Stained_Stairs.jpg.1409ec5a93d70cf

I'm doing fretwork on the side of my San Franciscan stairs.. I love that look.. it can get pretty busy though.... If you are going for the opulent look (which I think you are. :D ) it's a nice detail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moved on to the 3rd floor - stained and poly'ed all 3 floors. 

Next I decided to take on the 3rd floor girl's bedroom, now that I have that fancy fufu bed. Wallpaper and chair rail are up, light is in. Still have crown, baseboard and window frame to do. Not sure how I'm going to do that window frame. I'm going to contact Teri at Lawbre to see if she has a frame for that. I'm pretty pleased with how this room turned out.

I also was able to lay the parquet flooring for the study, and its now stained and poly'ed. I'm much happier with this parquet!

large.girlsBedroom.jpg.b630e94e007f7268f

large.study_floorDone.jpg.75459e0c3a280a

• Like 3

Beautiful, both the room and the parquet. Might you consider making the window frame out of cardstock? Can't tell what it's made of once it's painted.

Your parquet floor turned out beautiful!  Kathie took the words right out of my mouth regarding the window frame.  I have made many frames for windows like that from card, and as she says, once they're painted no one would know.

I am struggling with the wallpaper choice in my MBA, and have to re-paper anyway due to not having enough. I saw the toile in Merrimack Park house and loved it. I still love it but am on the fence. I love toile, and so I'm looking at other possibilities.  

I have stock on 2 others, what do you think? 

20170529_13195620170529_132011

Would you consider adding wainscoting below? A full wall, especially adjoining full walls, seems awfully busy to me. I usually visualize toile as an accent.

• Like 1