French Country Manor Update

miniaddicted

Not knowing what cabinets etc and where they will be placed makes this very challenging.  I envision ivory cabinets and had visions of most going on the interior wall, perhaps an island L coming into the center, back at the arch end, allowing for a small table right in front of arch french doors.

Given that, if i were to paper one or 2 walls in toile, which wall (s)?

20170128_170233.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely the wall with the arch, because that's the one people really see.  If you put it on another wall, I would make it the left wall.  The long, unbroken stretch on the right will likely get used for cupboards and appliances, hiding the pretty toile.  You might as well make that one the plain, lighter wall.  My two cents.

That toile is really neat, as long as it doesn't come compressed. I also would paper the left wall and the end one with the arch. Would give the room a better balance to me than papering the right wall and the end one.

I also like the arch wall & the left one, for the reasons already stated.  You can also stage the paper on all three walls with your appliances & cabinets, before gluing anything permanently, and see what you like.

18 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Just ordered 4 different papers for the kitchen - one of them should work!

wal0590a_nb%20French%20Kitchen%20-%20Gre wal0591a_nb%20French%20Kitchen%20-%20Red wal0587a_nb%20Chicken%20Toile%20-%20Red% 

wal0597c_nb%20Hannah's%20Jacobean%20Red%

I like the grapes and the classic toile scene. I like them all - I love that warm gold-beige color for kitchens.

Thanks guys, am thinking i agree with arch and left, and do a dry fit on right first. Place some cabinets on right to get a sense of the room.  This is why i have  to have it in hand! 

Yes, those colors call to me as warm also, homey as holly said.

Heidi, can I ask where you are ordering your Brodnax paper from?  i have been ordering from them directly.  I live in Houston and they are located in Dallas and it takes at least 2 weeks before I receive an order.  I placed my last order on March 24th and it still hasn't shipped.  I sent an email twice now wanting to add on a item to my order and I still haven't received a reply.  Somewhat frustrated with their customer service.

The Brodnax I got from my local shop, she had it in stock. I can't recall when I last ordered it, but probably not direct, but from one of my online go-to stores. Wish I could be more help.

Thanks for the info, Heidi.  Can you believe we only have 1 dollhouse store here in Houston (that I can find on Googlef) and it's like 30 miles from me.  In Houston traffic that's like an hour of time.

By the way, I am from Springfield, IL.  spent lots of time in your great city!

Sadly I can believe it. We really only have 1 here in the whole Chicago area, fortunately it's close, but her inventory is scaled down over the last few years, so it's hit or miss. Most of my purchases are online. 

It's actually kind of funny, I've gotten to know her over the years  (imagine that!!) and she and I use the same hair stylist, along with another local miniaturist. All 3 of us happened in there independently over time and now we all say hi through our stylist!

2 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Heidi, can I ask where you are ordering your Brodnax paper from?

Oakridge Hobbies has quite a good selection of wallpaper, including a lot of Brodnax. http://www.oakridgehobbies.com/dollhouse-supplies/1-inch-scale-dollhouse-building-supplies/1-inch-scale-dollhouse-miniature-wallpaper.html  They do take a few days to ship out, but I think I generally get my orders in less than two weeks.

On 4/4/2017, 9:19:04, miniaddicted said:

Just ordered 4 different papers for the kitchen - one of them should work!

wal0597c_nb%20Hannah's%20Jacobean%20Red%

I prefer this one because of the small scale design. It looks more like a kitchen to me. The others are elegant. I'd expect to find them in public rooms in the house. This design seems to be more utilitarian.  Also, the larger scales are going to be lost behind cabinets and appliances. The overall interest will be lost. I think they would just seem to be busy.

Just received the papers, it's a mixed bag. The small pattern Katie referenced above is much smaller (good and bad) and the farm toile is also much smaller scale (not sure about it), just from opening them. The grapes toile is the scale I expected based on Janet's photo (thank you!). The yellow scroll I knew the scale.

More in-place photos to come

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 5:54:00, miniaddicted said:

Sadly I can believe it. We really only have 1 here in the whole Chicago area, fortunately it's close, but her inventory is scaled down over the last few years, so it's hit or miss. Most of my purchases are online. 

It's actually kind of funny, I've gotten to know her over the years  (imagine that!!) and she and I use the same hair stylist, along with another local miniaturist. All 3 of us happened in there independently over time and now we all say hi through our stylist!

Not just in cities. When I worked for Kinko's, a woman came in to place an order for a catalog for their collie show. We got to talking and I said something about how I collected porcelain collies and someone named Rosebud (her eBay name) was always outbidding me. The woman said, "Oh, I know Rosebud!" I said, "Well, tell her Rodentraiser says hi!" Now that's a small world. LOL

By the way, here is a site that can probably get most Itsy Bitsy papers. I just ordered my wallpaper from this lady and she's very nice.

http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/ItsyBitsyWallpaper1.htm

52 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

By the way, here is a site that can probably get most Itsy Bitsy papers. I just ordered my wallpaper from this lady and she's very nice.

http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/ItsyBitsyWallpaper1.htm

Was just about to suggest Grace! She is great, so helpful. You may not get the wallpaper quickly as she usually needs to order it, but she is super helpful.

The real problem here IMO is that the scale of her papers is in question.  I have loved most all the ones I've purchased from her and used on the Thornhill. What I have been challenged with is matching the textured paper that I love. In a room where it meets in the corner, no problem,  but in this house the wall is wider and not in a position to camouflage the seams.

Now, I am trying to get a sense of scale on her other papers, and no sites provide that.  Thus I'm stuck buying sheets to find out after the fact the true scale.

Timing of receiving them directly isn't the issue for me, nor is the quality of the paper. Guess I've been lucky before now in the scale department. 

15 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Now, I am trying to get a sense of scale on her other papers, and no sites provide that.  Thus I'm stuck buying sheets to find out after the fact the true scale.

Actually, Oak Ridge Hobbies has a one-inch marker on all its papers.  I find it helps to copy the image, size it so that the one inch marker equals one inch, and print out.  That helps me understand what it will look like in full.  There is another site that does this as well, but I can't remember the name.  Just remembered--Manchester Woodworks:  http://www.manchesterwoodworks.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=wallpaper  Grace is a wonderful lady to work with, too, and she has the biggest selection of wallpaper I have ever seen.

13 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Deborah, just searched both those sites and neither one sells Itsy Bitsy Mini wallpaper. I know Brodnax displays the 1 inch marker on their products but not Itsy.

Sorry.  I misunderstood.