Can clear plastic be dyed?

mesp2k

I want to tint clear plastic.  I was thinking of just using Rit dye??

I got the clear plastic from Hobby Lobby - they call it plexglass?? Its about 1/32" thick.

I'm doing a modern house that's all white & I wanted the windows to show up some what.

Thanks for any help :bear:

My local hobby store HobbyTownUSA sells colored acrylic sheets.  I've not shopped for it to know the thicknesses or variety, but I have seen it there.  I don't know if Hobby Lobby also carries it.

Looks like Utrecht has them, too

http://www.utrechtart.com/Midwest-Super-Sheets--Colored-PVC-Sheets---010-x-7-6-x-11-in--Red-MP-10923-004-i1016522.utrecht

• Like 1

I would try the RIT dye  method and see what happens. But, if it worked well, I'd expect to see more hobbyists doing it and more photos of good results on google image search and I don't see any images (except for successful RIT dying of Lexan - whatever that is), so maybe there is a reason? But I'd still try it.

Jen, when the glass company guy put Lexan into my door a few years back, he said that it was better then Plexi-glass. He said that someone could shoot at my door with a .22 and it wouldn't break. I don't know if its true or not, but that's what he said. It discolored quite a bit over time though.

4 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Might glass stain (sometimes called stained glass paint) work?

Is it a spray on?

4 hours ago, otterine said:

My local hobby store HobbyTownUSA sells colored acrylic sheets.  I've not shopped for it to know the thicknesses or variety, but I have seen it there.  I don't know if Hobby Lobby also carries it.

Looks like Utrecht has them, too

http://www.utrechtart.com/Midwest-Super-Sheets--Colored-PVC-Sheets---010-x-7-6-x-11-in--Red-MP-10923-004-i1016522.utrecht

I have the clear plastic already, so...?

4 hours ago, Sable said:

Lowes sells Sea Glass spray paint. Which gives a colored etched look.

http://www.krylon.com/products/sea-glass-finish/

Looking for a transparent finish?  Although a frosted finish might be good for part of a bathroom window??

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I know that when I mark my plexiglass with a silver Sharpie, it never comes off. Maybe a Highlighter will do the same thing.

Hummm, I'm thinking a highlighter would be streaky?

Would it bead up on plastic?

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I don't know about plexi, but the stained "glass" paints work well with plastic.  I have also used transparent water color with a tad of gum arabic added.

hummm?  I think my wife has the gum arabic & for sure the watercolor paints. 

Shhhhhhh...

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

There's transparent spray paint by Testor . I bet there are other brands out there too. I'm not sure how you could dye plastic, unless you tint it when it is in a liquid state before the catalyst is added to harden it.

Went on the Testors site - got totally lost & confused?? I have to research that more...

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Mike, let us know how the Rit dye works.  Also, what about food coloring & white vinegar?

Rit has a new dye called dyemore - can dye certain plastics.

Also food coloring mixed with 'Future' floor wax might work?

There's something called Idye poly -made for nylon etc.,  sold at Joannes.

Will look deeper into all your suggestions - big thanks! :clap:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mesp2k said:

Is it a spray on?

The ones I'm thinking of are not.  Actually, I bought a set of very inexpensive "pots" (about the size of a quarter in diameter) of stained glass paint inexpensively at our local Joann's.  It went on so transparently it ended up not working for me (I wanted a deeper color), but that might actually work for you.  Here they are: http://www.joann.com/deco-art-paint-pots-6pk-glass/2400372.html#q=glass%2Bpaint&prefn1=prod_type&sz=36&start=73&prefv1=Product

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

The ones I'm thinking of are not.  Actually, I bought a set of very inexpensive "pots" (about the size of a quarter in diameter) of stained glass paint inexpensively at our local Joann's.  It went on so transparently it ended up not working for me (I wanted a deeper color), but that might actually work for you.  Here they are: http://www.joann.com/deco-art-paint-pots-6pk-glass/2400372.html#q=glass%2Bpaint&prefn1=prod_type&sz=36&start=73&prefv1=Product

Does it smooth out - no brush marks?

Thanx Deborah :)

Here's the house - just wanted a slight tint to the windows.

The top triangle section on the side is a painted wood panel - not glazing.

58d0390908ba3_917_2houseplanmodern2017.p

Here's the Houseplans design: 917-2

w1024.jpg?v=7

16 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Does it smooth out - no brush marks?

No need to brush. With the plastic flat and level, drop the paint on the surface and let it flow to the edges. 

45 minutes ago, KathieB said:

No need to brush. With the plastic flat and level, drop the paint on the surface and let it flow to the edges. 

Thanx Kathie