Hi from Oregon USA

Hi All

Joined a couple of weeks ago after finding a Westville in my local 2nd hand shop.  It appears to be complete and I'll be ordering a copy of the instructions.  Since joining, I think I've spent just about every spare minute oggling the dollhouses and miniatures I've found.  Building a dollhouse has been on my bucket list for years and I am soooooo excited!  

I spent many hours planning and looking at the floor plan for the Westville and confidently proclaimed to my DH that I was going to bash the kit by adding six inches to the base floorplan and attach a Primrose to one side.  I also wanted to replace the bay windows, make a 2nd story balcony, build a false floor in the top of the Primrose show that 2nd story would have a bookshelf alcove - ya know, easy stuff for a first time builder!!  

DH suggested that I maybe start smaller, build a different kit.  "Nah," I said confidently, "It's only wood and glue".  I started collecting little pieces of things to be used in my future building projects.  I poured over Pinterest, this forum, I googled dollhouses, read blogs and stalked listings for dollhouse accessories on eBay.  I went to the store and purchased a plastic container and a small "whats-it" case to hold my "finds" for my soon to be dollhouse.  I have a piece of packaging (soap suds), a rose off of costume jewelry, a few beads.  Obviously, I've a new obsession.

Wait a minute!!!  Back up and read the 1st sentence of the above paragraph again.  See it?  In my excitement, what DH said about starting with a smaller project did not register until several days later.  How could I have missed him suggesting I indulge my new hobby by BUYING ANOTHER dollhouse?  

.....I've already sketched out my plans for an Orchid.  I think I'll order the Primrose while I'm at it.  That looks like an easy add on and it makes the Orchid look like houses in the neighborhood I grew up in. I'm so excited, I'm practically vibrating!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pocket-sizeMcMansion said:

Wait a minute!!!  Back up and read the 1st sentence of the above paragraph again.  See it?  In my excitement, what DH said about starting with a smaller project did not register until several days later.  How could I have missed him suggesting I indulge my new hobby by BUYING ANOTHER dollhouse?  

Haha... I like the way you think Mel! :D

Welcome to the forums. :wave:

Welcome to the little family, Mel.  You already have the correct mind set for this hobby; It really is only wood & glue.  For me the best cutting tool is a box-cutter-type utility knife with retractable blade that extra new, SHARP blades store in the handle (I also have a stubby Philip's head screwdriver).

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Mel!! I LOVE the Westville dollhouse!! :) it's one of my favorite builds! You know, dollhouses tend to multiply in the dark so don't be surprised if you wake up one day and you find you have kits under the bed, in the closets even in the garage! Seriously though, it's very addicting! I look forward to knowing you and your houses better!