Proper way to transport houses due to moving

Luanne

Hi guys,

We are relocating about 10 miles from our current house.  

What is the proper way to transport my 2 dollhouses: Storybook and Westville? Should I brace the lights somehow? Needing any suggestion you can think of. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

L. 

I had to shuttle some houses around for our show. I found that bracing the hanging fixtures with painters tape prevented them from swaying and the tape didn't harm the ceiling paper at all. I also felt it was important to set each of them into large boxes just so that nothing could bash into them should I had to stop abruptly. Then the boxes were wedged into the back of my car so they wouldn't shift. No problems at all.

I've moved houses twice with my dollhouses and both times just I put them in the backseat of my car. I didn't tape lights or do anything special. For that short of a distance I think you'll be okay. Just be careful putting them in and taking them out, not to bash the trim.

Edited to add: I did empty them out first! I carefully packed all of the furniture into clear storage bins -- small bins for my half scale furniture, and in boxes inside larger bins for my 1" furniture, with delicate pieces wrapped in tissue or bubble wrap. Supplies also went into large bins. It was important to me to use clear ones so I could easily see in. I didn't have a workshop set up for about 6 months in the new house so I needed to pack everything logically and easily be able to find what I was looking for in the meantime.

I brought a house from Florida to missouri in my back seat.  I didn't have anything to protect it.  No damage.  Builder is fantastic. ....thanks Gina.    I also delivered 4 houses to Arkansas in the car with no damage.  2 were Arthurs,  and 2 Tiffany.   For a short 10 mile it shouldn't be much issue.  Just keep other items away from them.

Having said that.........I'm in for a world of hurt when (if) we move to mississippi from missouri.   There are only 25 houses in my living room.  Another 8 in the craft room, 1 in the dining room and I'm still building. .......oh, and  1/4 scale town.   I did get my micro Liberty Falls village packed while my daughter was here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sable said:

I had to shuttle some houses around for our show. I found that bracing the hanging fixtures with painters tape prevented them from swaying and the tape didn't harm the ceiling paper at all. I also felt it was important to set each of them into large boxes just so that nothing could bash into them should I had to stop abruptly. Then the boxes were wedged into the back of my car so they wouldn't shift. No problems at all.

I know, overly cautious but they were not my houses and I didn't want to take any chances. Some of these houses had easy to chip stucco and elaborate landscapes  which concerned me.

• Like 1

Thank you guys.  This is very helpful for me.  I would rather over -protect when it comes to my minis.  

The new real house will need lots of attention, I probably won't have time for this hobby for a while. I appreciate the tip about being organized so I can at least do small projects.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This past weekend, we had family and friends helped us out with the move.  When they came into the rooms where  the houses were, their demeanor changed: they  walked slowly and kept a distance and didnot offer to lift the houses unlike the other items.

I asked my brother in law and my husband to bring the houses to my car and I drove them myself to the new house.  I was nervous. 

I am happy to report back both houses arrived safely and I plugged in the lights last night.  They worked!! 

Thank you again for your help.

• Like 3