Weathered Cardboard Siding

37 posts in this topic

I had a lot of people on Instagram ask me how I made the weathered siding for my house so I am posting a tutorial! :) Feel free to ask me questions on here or on my IG account (dollhousejournal)! This technique super simple and fun to do!

Supplies:
Cardboard (I used cereal boxes)
Scissors
Ruler
Pencil
White School Glue
Acrylic Paint (I used brown and cream)

Step 1.  Measure and cut cereal box into strips.

IMG_20170327_33921.jpg.14cc28b961880f637

Step 2.  Paint strips with base color and let dry completely.

IMG_20170327_4951.jpg.9a2e56ae14e52e5d88

Step 3.  Apply a thin layer of white school glue.

IMG_20170327_53734.jpg.3aa9d7f6db35765ad

Step 4.  When the glue is tacky to the touch, brush on the top coat of paint.  I applied it unevenly, leaving bare spots here and there for a more distressed look.

IMG_20170327_18678.jpg.9babbc022510223cd

IMG_20170327_37293.jpg.fc6d5e8c6382dd658

Notes:

-  I used a glossy paint as the base coat and a matte paint for the top coat.  I have noticed the matte paint seems to crackle really well!

-  The strips do warp a bit when they are painted.  I used tacky glue to apply them to the house and they straightened out just fine.  You could probably flatten them between heavy books as well.

10 people like this

What a great effect! Thanks for sharing the details.

1 person likes this

That looks so great! Glue is cheaper than crack medium too... fantastic idea!

1 person likes this

That turned out fabulously!  I need to go stalk your instagram

39 minutes ago, Samusa said:

That looks so great! Glue is cheaper than crack medium too... fantastic idea!

Thank you, Samantha! :)

3 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

That turned out fabulously!  I need to go stalk your instagram

Thanks so much!  See you on IG! ;)

What a great tutorial!  Thank you.

1 person likes this

Looks great! Good to see how you did it, thanks!

1 person likes this

Very cool look. I will apply this to a fence for my project. I appreciate the tutorial and your timing is right on! 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

What a great tutorial!  Thank you.

Thank you Holly!! <3

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

Looks great! Good to see how you did it, thanks!

Thank you!!!

31 minutes ago, Luanne said:

Very cool look. I will apply this to a fence for my project. I appreciate the tutorial and your timing is right on! 

This would be perfect for a fence!!  In fact I once lived in a house that had a fence the looked quite similar! :)

Amber:clap:Wowsers!!

...looks like a real antique

Thanx for the tutorial.

1 person likes this

Thank you sharing the tutorial. I'll have to file that in vault. :bigwink:

1 person likes this

Fabulous job!! I'll add this to our tutorial section :) Thanks for sharing this!

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Amber:clap:Wowsers!!

...looks like a real antique

Thanx for the tutorial.

Thank you so much, Mike! :)

1 hour ago, Minis On The Edge said:

Fabulous job!! I'll add this to our tutorial section :) Thanks for sharing this!

Oh, thank you Tracy! :)

1 person likes this

Thanks again for this --I'm going to try it out on a smaller scale project!

1 person likes this

I am trying this method right now on my Beetlejuice house, but I am just painting the siding white, not crackling it.

I'll have to try that on a future project.

I'm excited to see the results! This looks like an inexpensive alternative to wood, and the best part? No sanding!

Wow thank you for sharing.  What a great idea. Looks great 

How thick are you cutting the pieces? Ive been starting with 1cm but am worried they may be a bit small.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Greenleaf Products, plus some questions
      By Kells
      It finally occurred to me that I'm on a Greenleaf forum and I have never shared that Greenleaf has one of my favorite and most used products, but I'll get to that last. First a couple of questions.
      Is anyone familiar with Greenleaf's vinyl tile flooring? Is it glossy, and if so, can it be dulled? I want a paved stone look throughout the entire first floor of my Creole plantation house. This product:
      https://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/miniature-scale-vinyl-floor-tiles-grey/
      While I can do the paperclay method, I'm worried that is going to add a great deal of weight to an already very heavy house. It's Lawbre's Rosedawn and it weighs a lot even in its unfinished state.
      Added weight brings up my other question. Can anyone recommend a good brick sheet? Something textured, embossed, with the appearance of real brick? I've in the past purchased a few printed sheets of brick from England just to see what they were like and, well, I'd use them on a child's dollhouse maybe but not something on which I'm going for realism. They look good but even when not up close they are very obviously just printed paper.
      I've etched brick into joint compound (a lot of work but looks great!). I've done brick and stone out of egg cartons (also looks great!). The joint compound will make this house far too heavy, and there is no way in heck I am cutting thousands of individual bricks out of egg cartons! I am seriously hoping there's some product out there that would work.
      Okay, so there are my questions, now allow me to sing Greenleaf's praises for one of their products that is one of my favorites and most used. Their siding:
      https://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/miniature-clapboard-siding/
      OMG have I bought bags and bags of this stuff over the years. It's admittedly a bit rough and I probably wouldn't use it to side a gleaming mansion, but it has so many other uses! Here are some that I've used it for.
      It's perfect for siding a farmhouse or other "rustic" building. A simple wash gives it a fantastic aged appearance without a ton of work futzing around with multi-layers of painting and sanding and aging techniques. Some awful blurry old pics below of my farmhouse when it was in progress. I don't think they show just how fantastic that siding looked IRL.
      Another pic below is a pic of a bedroom in (I think) Salem, MA. See that ceiling and that planked wall behind the bed? I used Greenleaf siding to recreate that and I was totally thrilled with the result. I also used Greenleaf's shingles on that same Colonial. The front was clapboard but I shingled the sides. I needed smaller shingles because historically those were pretty narrow. I simply snapped 'em in half, no scoring required.
      The first floor of my Creole is going to be pretty "raw", with exposed brick exterior walls, but the interior walls of the first floor will be exposed planks behind stud framing. I'll be using even more Greenleaf siding for that. It's 3/4" wide so I'm going to score it at 1/2". The half-inch planks will be for the wall framing, the remaining 1/4" will be the equivalent of 3" lathing for the attic ceilings. And, of course, loads of it to plank almost all of the ceilings!
      So there are a few of my handy-dandy uses. And at $5.00 for 360 square inches, I challenge anyone to find a better deal! If you could even find something that works half as well. Do you have other-than-intended uses for the siding or other products?
      Edit: And oh yeah, it worked fabulously well for horizontal planked wainscoting in that Colonial house. I was going for a very early Colonial look so I didn't want any fine mouldings. That siding did the trick!

• Can I see your houses with siding made from cardboard or upholstery strips
      By Gabblar
      Hello!
      I am finally hoping to start on my own dollhouse after renovating a dollhouse for my toddler.
      I am thinking about the weight of the house, as well as cost and have searched and searched and have not found as many photos of siding made with cardboard or upholstery strips.
      I would love to see some examples! Thank you
      I have also attached a picture of my dh, it is front opening and I will be making some modifications to the exterior to add modern touches and am also thinking of cutting windows on both sides.

• Corrugated Cardboard Furniture?
      By Milah
      I'm kind of playing and experimenting with building furniture, and to save money I'm using cardboard (from shipping boxes etc.) rather than wood. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the visible corrugated edges? I thought maybe the best thing would be to run wall fill/spackle across the edges and then paint over it, but if there are other ways that are more effective I'd like to hear. Trying to fill it with paint seems to take too long/too much paint.
      Conversely, is building furniture out of regular cardboard boxes common? So many videos and things I see just use wood. I'm hoping to get access to decent mat board soon, but figure I might as well finish this little room with what I got. Plus I for something things I like the thicker cardboard.
    • Clapboard Siding Misery!
      By enchanted 1970's house
      Hello everyone! I'm new at this stuff, but I've been reading this forum for months and I've learned so much from you all.  Finally realized I should register. I'm hoping you can advise me on one issue...
      I'm attempting to renovate a large 1970's dollhouse that originally had no siding.  Very carefully I glued on clapboard siding (the kind that comes in overlapping wooden sheets) using Beacon Quik-Grip.  After letting each side dry overnight, weighted down and taped, I began to paint it with Kilz primer and regular latex house paint.  And then... horrors!  The siding began to warp a bit and came up in a few spots!  The water-based paint must have overwhelmed the sticking power of the glue.
      But even so, the warping was minor enough that I thought I could just get away with squeezing more glue under the lifted edges and weighting them down.  It was still not quite as even as it had been before painting, but it seemed... okay.  
      But THEN... we went away from the house for a couple of hot summer months, and when we came back I saw that the humidity had done a number on the siding.  MORE warping!  I ended up scraping off one entire side of it.
      Do you have any advice to keep this from happening again?  Is there another kind of paint I could use that might impart less moisture to the wood?
      Thank you!  

L

• wainscotting
      By Mini maniac
      Decided to make wall panels or wainscoting out of cracker boxes.  I saw the idea on pinterest and decided to give it a whirl.  I am making these for the living room.