Weathered Cardboard Siding

Amber Celeste

On 5/30/2019, 1:17:34, SaraChimera said:

How thick are you cutting the pieces? Ive been starting with 1cm but am worried they may be a bit small.

In 1:12 scale, clapboard usually has a 1/2" or 3/8" lap. If you're overlapping the siding you should make the strips slightly larger to account for the top part that's covered up by the strip above it.

• 2 months later...

This is an old topic I know, but I just can't seem to achieve this effect. I paint the cardboard (cereal box) with brown acrylic, I wait till its dry, about 10 mins. Then I apply the thin layer of white elmers glue, I only wait a minute or 2 for this step cause it seems to be starting to dry at this point. I then use this light grey acrylic paint over it. It does look slighly  weathered but not really that great or cracked. Maybe my timing is wrong or something on waiting between steps, I'm just not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Chisel said:

This is an old topic I know, but I just can't seem to achieve this effect. I paint the cardboard (cereal box) with brown acrylic, I wait till its dry, about 10 mins. Then I apply the thin layer of white elmers glue, I only wait a minute or 2 for this step cause it seems to be starting to dry at this point. I then use this light grey acrylic paint over it. It does look slighly  weathered but not really that great or cracked. Maybe my timing is wrong or something on waiting between steps, I'm just not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try buying a Crackle medium. Plaid makes one and it is available at craft stores. I have used an old batch(It was 2 step) and it didn't work, so maybe you need something fresher. Just buy the  1 step crackle medium and it will save you the hassle.

Yep wet worked, I painted the base coat let it dry, then put the layer of glue immediately followed by the layer of top coat. Cracked when it dried. I'm still gonna pick up some crackle medium tomorrow though and see which works best. Trying to make a mini Halloween village.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2019, 4:17:10, Chisel said:

Yep wet worked, I painted the base coat let it dry, then put the layer of glue immediately followed by the layer of top coat. Cracked when it dried. I'm still gonna pick up some crackle medium tomorrow though and see which works best. Trying to make a mini Halloween village.

How did you get on with this?  I'm wanting to achieve the same effect now but on a tiny scale.  Did you try crackle effect medium?  Which worked best for you?