My sister's new door

Sable

24 minutes ago, KathieB said:

What a unique door and doorway. Ummm ... how does it open? It looks like a drawbridge about to be lowered. :D 

I was also wondering about that; maybe you can only go out through it, and when you want to go back you have to knock on it really loud for someone to let you in?  Really pretty, though' reminds me of the door Keri Berkner was making for the Nottingham the day I went to Earth & Tree.

Pretty fancy pediment for the basement door.:eek: I'm so jealous (in a good way :D ) I've been trying to get my husband to move to the French countryside for years... He's American though and has a strange belief that the French hate Americans... :dunno:  Plus I'm not sure he could live with maybe not being able to watch all the Cubs games in baseball season... #DiehardCubsFan...  

I think Australia is more than enough culture shock for him. :D

How long has your sister lived in France Sable?... So exciting.. living out dreams... good on her!

It looks amazing Sable, the door surround and the door. It must be a big job renovating a chateau.

14 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Pretty fancy pediment for the basement door.:eek: I'm so jealous (in a good way :D ) I've been trying to get my husband to move to the French countryside for years... He's American though and has a strange belief that the French hate Americans... :dunno:  Plus I'm not sure he could live with maybe not being able to watch all the Cubs games in baseball season... #DiehardCubsFan...  

It's our dream too Samantha. We even have a 'chateau fund', but we currently have about enough for the door - the rest will have to wait!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

It looks amazing Sable, the door surround and the door. It must be a big job renovating a chateau.

It's our dream too Samantha. We even have a 'chateau fund', but we currently have about enough for the door - the rest will have to wait!!

Haha.. I know what you mean.... do you follow this blog? I just live vicariously through this family. :D

I don't mind having a read of this one either. :)

22 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Haha.. I know what you mean.... do you follow this blog? I just live vicariously through this family. :D

Thanks for the link. My sister does not blog her experiences. However, I follow this one on Facebook, here is the web link to it:

http://www.chateaugudanes.com

12 minutes ago, Sable said:

Thanks for the link. My sister does not blog her experiences. However, I follow this one on Facebook, here is the web link to it:

http://www.chateaugudanes.com

Yes, I follow that one too.. it's the second link in my post above. :D  It would be great if your sister blogged. I know I'd love to see it... but she's probably too busy restoring to be spending time blogging.. As long as she's taking lots of progress pictures she could always get to that later... or even write a book! :)

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Yes, I follow that one too.. it's the second link in my post above. :D  It would be great if your sister blogged. I know I'd love to see it... but she's probably too busy restoring to be spending time blogging.. As long as she's taking lots of progress pictures she could always get to that later... or even write a book! :)

Hers is finished. They completed it two years ago. There really wasn't too much to be done to it. In the 1970's a commercial builder rebuilt it from ruins. Basically, what she did was modernize the baths and kitchen from the 70's to 2015.  Luckily, hers was rebuilt before France started declaring these old chateaus as historical buildings so hers is not restricted by all of the bureaucracy  plaguing current restorations.

I've been there twice. Sam, hint, hint, they rent it out.  Her main house is in England. They use it as a vacation rental and my nephew runs an adventure business from there a few weeks each year.  Brush up on your French. However, the dialect is not pure French. They are lovely people and the anti-American thing is a myth. Just say "bonjour" to everyone and point.

9 hours ago, Samusa said:

Gorgeous! I follow the Gudanes one (but their lack of grammatical correctness annoys me! Haha!). It is certainly more work than I'd care to take on. A house would be enough for me! And it's cheaper than buying a holiday home in Australia.

3 hours ago, Sable said:

I've been there twice. Sam, hint, hint, they rent it out.  Her main house is in England. They use it as a vacation rental and my nephew runs an adventure business from there a few weeks each year.  Brush up on your French. However, the dialect is not pure French. They are lovely people and the anti-American thing is a myth. Just say "bonjour" to everyone and point.

Oh I know, I practice my high school french (badly) on them and they love it!... I found they would rather me speak terrible french than assume they speak english... which of course most of them do... lol... After I murder a sentence they smile broadly and start speaking english to me... and I'm very grateful.. :D

Does your Sister have a website for the rental business? 

1 minute ago, Samusa said:

Oh I know, I practice my high school french (badly) on them and they love it!... I found they would rather me speak terrible french than assume they speak english...

That was my experience in French Canada, except that in Quebec Province many of the francophones didn't speak English any better than I spoke French, so a lot of conversations were carried on with gestures and pencil & paper.

On March 29, 2017 at 1:56:10 AM, Samusa said:

Oh I know, I practice my high school french (badly) on them and they love it!... I found they would rather me speak terrible french than assume they speak english... which of course most of them do... lol... After I murder a sentence they smile broadly and start speaking english to me... and I'm very grateful.. :D

Does your Sister have a website for the rental business? 

They have Facebook and are linked to a few sites. Search Chateau de Gere.

15 minutes ago, Samusa said:

OMG... and there is skiing nearby... I've died and gone to heaven :drool2:... now to convince my DH to ski France next year. :D

Just a short hike to the main road and the ski buses stop and pick you up and take you to the ski locations. In the winter is skiing; summer hiking, mountain climbing, parasailing, kayaking...it is also close to the El Camino de Santiago trail. Fly to Paris then a short flight to Pau, France. About 45 minutes south of Pau is the chateau. LeRuns is the village nearby with a grocery, pharmacy and a few restaurants. 

Love that door! Gives me the feeling that it is just openingup into abort of fairy garden, you know LOTs of flowers and a little bit of whimsy....

Thank you for sharing it! 

Hugs