Who occupies your houses?

Debsrand56

Having read the stories from Miranda and Andrea about the occupants of their houses, I was wondering how many of us have a clear idea of who “lives” in our houses.  For myself, I know that my spouse and I “occupy” the Bungalow.  That is our house.  Our wedding picture is on the vanity; each of us has our favorite book on the nightstand on our side of the bed.  For some odd reason that I can’t explain, our cat Penny occupies the Fairfield.  Somehow, she has morphed into a Victorian lady of independent means and spirit, with an interest in science and steam punk.  On the desk in the upstairs sitting room, the letters in the desk cubbyholes are addressed to her, and she has a half-finished letter to her friend, Kitty, telling her about her latest exciting experiments. Penny’s picture, photoshopped, is my avatar.  I’m not clear yet on who occupies the Merrimack, other than I’m pretty sure it’s a husband and wife.  The bedroom and bathroom are quite feminine, but the study is demanding to be more masculine, as a haven for the husband.

Do others of you imagine specific occupants of your houses when you are building and decorating?

• Like 4

My houses tell me their stories, often before I start building them, often with instructions about how they have to look.  The farmhouse I built from the Washington 2.0 is the first one that didn't insist I make its inhabitants; the pub was adamant about its people, Porter & Emma Stout:

Porter and Emma (nee Little) Stout

and the U. S. Ananda family owned the general store my first Orchid became:

at home.jpg

• Like 4

Every one of my builds has inhabitants, but not all of them are people. The Haunted Hangout is populated by skeletons. The Houseboat is home to a family of frogs. Marie Laveau and her daughter live in her Cottage. Several elves live in the White Orchid Christmas House, with frequent visits from Santa. The Home Sweet Home Quilt Shop has a couple of clerks and one customer. The Beacon Hill is home to Dr. and Mrs. [Somebody], free people of color (FPC) in New Orleans. (They haven't told me their last name yet.) The Pierce/Bohemian Inn & Restaurant is owned and operated by Alois and Katarina Krejsa, my grandparents who operated a tavern and restaurant in Niles, Illinois, after emigrating from what was then Czechoslovakia in the 1890s. The Inn is set in the 1870s in their home town.

Some are resin, some were Christmas ornaments, some were custom made by our own Wolfie and Havanaholly, some were plastic Halloween toys that underwent orthopedic surgery and some are Calico Critters. All are very chatty. Each of them contributed to the final iteration of their particular build. 

• Like 6

Yes, my Laurel is occupied by a family. A family that picks up after themselves, empty's the trash without being asked, and the kids will not have hit puberty yet! :cry:Seriously!

I almost forget, and it has plenty of closet space!

Edited by Mid-life madness
addition
  • Like 4

It used to be that every time my dad and I built a house it was specifically for a specific pixie or family of pixies (which were all Asian BJD dolls). They all had different needs and so each house was totally different.

But probably the most drastically different for the critters living there was the house for the Catsy sisters. They were tiny, anthropomorphic cat dolls. Nothing shiny (because cats chase reflections, and that would get old living there) and floor to ceiling carpeting (because you never know when you're going to need to sharpen your claws, I guess.) :)

I'm starting two refurbishes now, and one I have no idea who lives there. I don't really do dolls anymore, so this is going to be new. The other house, though, I think my sweetie and I live there. He seems to feel that way too. So it's our dream house, just in miniature. :)

Good question! It's been interesting to see how other people play. :)

- Wendy

(new to the forum, but not new to miniatures)

• Like 2

I love this post and look forward to reading all the responses.  My occupant is still revealing herself.  I know this:

She lives alone
Has never married but has had a few significant lovers
Was an "it girl" during the 20s (Which means the house may not be present time unless she is over a hundred....)
Is very happy with the quiet turn her life has taken

There may be a circus involved....lots of travel for sure and no regrets.  

• Like 3

I am boring. Mine are all houses I'd like to live in. They are all basically inhabited by single women (oddly I am happily married!!). I guess I am not so much into making kids rooms. I am planning a house and shop owned by a gentleman. My Mountfield is occupied by a family set vaguely in about the 1940s. My chateau will be occupied by a family of three sisters with very different interests. Not at all interesting!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

I am boring. Mine are all houses I'd like to live in. They are all basically inhabited by single women (oddly I am happily married!!). I guess I am not so much into making kids rooms. I am planning a house and shop owned by a gentleman. My Mountfield is occupied by a family set vaguely in about the 1940s. My chateau will be occupied by a family of three sisters with very different interests. Not at all interesting!

Not even!  All your houses sound like they have very interesting inhabitants.

I was feeling vaguely guilty about the "never married, living alone" scenario I've cultivated but I chalk it up to finally having a house that I can decorate exactly as I please.  Without the influence and opinion of someone that wants nothing more than to live in a Restoration Hardware catalog.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

I guess I am not so much into making kids rooms.

I'm the same way.  There are no children in any of my houses, although I had fun filling the Fairfield attic with toys.  Why would you think a family of three sisters with very different interests is not at all interesting?  They could be fascinating! (And they live in a chateau.)  I am loving the answers I've been getting.  It's so much fun to hear the stories that people have for their houses and the imaginary folks who live there.

35 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

I love this post and look forward to reading all the responses.  My occupant is still revealing herself.  I know this:

She lives alone
Has never married but has had a few significant lovers
Was an "it girl" during the 20s (Which means the house may not be present time unless she is over a hundred....)
Is very happy with the quiet turn her life has taken

There may be a circus involved....lots of travel for sure and no regrets.  

Looking forward to hearing more!  A woman with a  past that may involve a circus.   The stories she could tell . . . .  :)  Maybe you'll have some more fun little mementos of her past, like the puppet theatre.

2 hours ago, Griffonfeathers said:

The other house, though, I think my sweetie and I live there. He seems to feel that way too. So it's our dream house, just in miniature.

I hear you there.  I sometimes get in miniature what I'd like to have but can't afford in real life.  I like that your sweetie feels the same way about living there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Yes, my Laurel is occupied by a family. A family that picks up after themselves, empty's the trash without being asked, and the kids will not have hit puberty yet!

Too funny!  Another fantasy doll house.  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

The Pierce/Bohemian Inn & Restaurant is owned and operated by Alois and Katarina Krejsa, my grandparents who operated a tavern and restaurant in Niles, Illinois, after emigrating from what was then Czechoslovakia in the 1890s. The Inn is set in the 1870s in their home town.

Your homes all have great stories, but I especially like that your grandparents get to own and operate one of them.  What a lovely way of remembering them.

22 minutes ago, AndreaJane said:

I was feeling vaguely guilty about the "never married, living alone" scenario I've cultivated but I chalk it up to finally having a house that I can decorate exactly as I please.  Without the influence and opinion of someone that wants nothing more than to live in a Restoration Hardware catalog.

Guilty!  I am also happily married, but my "forever" dollhouse (not finished yet) will be inhabited by a very wealthy widow, who is a miniaturist, and because she is alone - the Lady of the Manor - her house is filled with miniatures!  When my DH and I were first married, and heading off to college together, we each had ONE suitcase.  He can't understand why we need more than that now! 

Each of my houses develop a story before they are built - and need certain people to go along with the story. My favorite was my Museum of Miniatures and the perfect man-doll who became the owner and curator of the museum. At the time, he was a widower, but now a couple ladies have entered his life. He hasn't made up his mind yet if he was to settle down again. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Your homes all have great stories, but I especially like that your grandparents get to own and operate one of them.  What a lovely way of remembering them.

Thanks, Deborah. Both of them passed well before I was born. A Czech genealogist is currently researching this branch of the family. She is going to take pictures of the village where they lived before emigrating. I can't wait to see the photos. I'm hoping they will provide inspiration for details in the Inn.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AndreaJane said:

That is actually one of the benefits I've found of having my smaller house. No room for kids lol

While I love my own daughter, I don't think Gabrielle and Mateo ever had children. I think they tried but then couldn't and found that they were actually ok with that. They focused on traveling (something Gabrielle and I are both passionate about) and learning new things. Mateo definitely passed from an illness. Something not so sudden that it was shocking but not prolonged either. She had time to say her goodbyes. He was her soul mate (her lobster for you Friends fans) so she has 0 interest in finding love again. She's content with the memory of Mateo. Mateo DEFINITELY looked like Javier Bardem while Gabrielle looks like Blythe Danner

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

My favorite was my Museum of Miniatures and the perfect man-doll who became the owner and curator of the museum. At the time, he was a widower, but now a couple ladies have entered his life. He hasn't made up his mind yet if he was to settle down again. 

Oh, what fun! Of course, I had to go check our your albums to see the delightful Museum of Miniatures, and the write-up in NAME!  I'm glad Owen has some new ladies in his life .:)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SewMini said:

. Mateo DEFINITELY looked like Javier Bardem while Gabrielle looks like Blythe Danner

:)!  I just love the whole back-story of your house.  Gabrielle and and Mateo sound like a charming couple.  I'm glad Mateo didn't linger, but that Gabrielle had a chance to say goodbye.  Hoping to see some souvenirs of their travels in the house.

For some reason before, my houses never had occupants.  The recently finished Victoriana is a good example.  Nothing spoke to me when I was building it. 

BUT, the Cape May is different.  It is telling me stories as I build it.  The occupant is a bachelor of some means.  The house was built by his family in the New Olreans Garden District, shortly after the Mississippi River inundated their plantation, just south of the city.  I have acquired some Louisiana plantation pictures and painting that will hang on the walls to remind him of past years.  The house will be filled with a few lifetimes of furniture from his parents, grandparents and so on.  It will definitely have a masculine feel about it, with some feminine touches.  He is a bit sentimental, and he keeps those special items around that remind him of his mother and grandmother. (I have a feeling he is much like me!).

As I keep working on it, more of his story is revealed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

The occupant is a bachelor of some means.  The house was built by his family in the New Olreans Garden District, shortly after the Mississippi River inundated their plantation, just south of the city.  I have acquired some Louisiana plantation pictures and painting that will hang on the walls to remind him of past years.  The house will be filled with a few lifetimes of furniture from his parents, grandparents and so on. 

What a wonderful story!  Looking forward to seeing it.  Having the back-story on houses just adds to their interest.  It makes them more "real" somehow, as though the people who live there are friends, and I want to know how they are doing.

29 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I occupy all my houses.  I move from one to the other every night.  I have a shrinking machine.

I wish I could do that.  It would be fun to spend some time in my mini creations.  However, the plumbing facilities are sadly lacking, so maybe not. . . .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Debsrand56 said:

I wish I could do that.  It would be fun to spend some time in my mini creations.  However, the plumbing facilities are sadly lacking, so maybe not. . . .

Maybe when you shrink yourself down you don't need to go, since you wouldn't be eating, either...

• Like 1

So many of my builds were dismantled for storage it's hard to remember what I was thinking at the time. Many are unfinished, such as a motorcycle shop, and an ultra modern mountain get-away home while many others are still in their boxes. I have notebooks full of plans and dreams for artist studios, storybook tales, city living, rundown farmhouses, businesses, and the ultimate dream of building a castle.

My Family Mansion is just that - room for my extended family and business and so on. It is a Garfield, an Orchid, and 2 Primroses all hitched together. I had some dolls representing each family member but was still saving pennies for the rest.

The Baba Yaga build is based on the old Russian tales of Baba Yaga and her chicken footed house. I have Erna Meyer 1/24 scale dolls for that one. It has a potion room in a tower and a dungeon as well as landscaping to illustrate other parts of the stories.

The Planetarium simply had the astronomer/physicist and the patrons that were attending the show.

The Sweetheart was more of a children oriented build so the kiddos changed it out several times - many themes - before we went with the Tudor theme. No people or story at the moment.

I also have a stone chapel with an old English vicar out in the countryside at the edge of the woods. The vicar lives in a tiny apartment in the attic.

For one of the Greenleaf contests I was making a barn with a single mom starting over with her three kids. She was running small businesses (sewing, gardening, bakery, etc) out of the barn and living upstairs. The story started like this: "Once upon a time Marla C. Henn and her three children, Melody, Melanie, and Merlin purchased a run down barn on 10 acres of land. Marla, affectionately called “Red” by her friends, planned a big renovation." Zip to the end and a tornado struck and wiped it out.

Twinkle built a fabulous barn for another of the GL contests that portrays her dream life - becoming a vet. She did a great job. She also created a Halloween house that she brings out for decorations each October. It has small children in costumes at a party. She has several unfinished projects as well.

Wisteria and FIreboy have built toy style houses for princesses and auto mechanics.

We did also have a camouflaged military compound and a stone double house belonging to an high society lady. They both had extensive story lines but only the military compound still lives. It was hidden in the woods with secret underground facilities. Quite fun.

Someday I hope to be back in the building and designing mode again. Just need a couple miracles and I'll be all set.

• Like 4