Shingles and interior walls questions

MaryBethD

I'm working on my first ever dollhouse and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you all can help me with.

The first question is about dying the shingles. I've only seen two color options for shingles - grey and red. I'd prefer something like dark brown. Can you combine the grey and red to get something like a dark brown or am I just not looking at the right locations for purchasing shingle dye?

My second question is about interior walls. I've noticed most people seem to use wallpaper rather than painting their interiors. Does painting generally not work well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these two topics!

Mary Beth

I happen to have stained shingles last night with the brown-red dye. I only left them in the stain for 2-3 minutes. But after I started spreading them out a little later to dry (the directions said to keep them in a "heap" for a while-that's not how I've done it in the past, nor will I do it again) , many of the shingles had dark brown splotches where they were exposed to the dye longer. The longer you leave it in the dye, the darker it will become. So you could achieve your dark brown that way.

I've also just used regular stain on shingles. Doing it that way you have more selection of colors.

7 minutes ago, MaryBethD said:

I'm working on my first ever dollhouse and I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you all can help me with.

The first question is about dying the shingles. I've only seen two color options for shingles - grey and red. I'd prefer something like dark brown. Can you combine the grey and red to get something like a dark brown or am I just not looking at the right locations for purchasing shingle dye?

My second question is about interior walls. I've noticed most people seem to use wallpaper rather than painting their interiors. Does painting generally not work well?

Mary Beth

Hi, Mary Beth, and welcome to the forum. I'll respond to your questions from my point of view. Others will provide theirs. One of the blessings of this forum is that we get exposed to many solutions based on members experience.  You can choose the on that seems most reasonable to you.

As for dye -- you could use regular wood stain to get the shade of brown you want or Rit Dye. One method is to use two aluminum foil pans, one with holes punched in the bottom, like a colander. Put it into the solid pan, add a layer of shingles, pour in the stain. Raise the inner pan to drain and dump the shingles onto a pad of newspaper to drain and dry. 

As for paint vs. wallpaper -- just like in our real home, tastes vary. One objection to paint is that the grain of the wood shows, not a very realistic look. That can be avoided by putting a skim coat of Spackle or wallboard mud/joint compound over the wood. This surface is closer to the smooth plaster or wallboard of a real house.

Painting interiors can be difficult if the wood is not in good shape.  I've used plain colored cardstock and drawing papers to mimic a painted single color interior without worrying about the condition of the wood.

27 minutes ago, MaryBethD said:

Mary Beth

You can use dye or stain on your shingles; I have even watered down acrylic paint to a wash and used that:

finished exterior right side, with trellis

I have painted my interior walls:

right side out interior 1.JPG

(oftener than I've papered them):

Putting it together

I always prime them first, using flat white interior latex paint from the hardware store.  Often I use paint and wallpaper borders together:

Making the front door:  3

Listen to what your house wants and go with it.

2 hours ago, MaryBethD said:

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth!

Welcome! I'm new here too!

It seems to me that you've gotten a ton of shingles advice (I tend to leave mine the raw cedar color, or to age them gray, so I'm no help.) but I have a wallpaper observation.

I think a lot of dollhouse interiors are wallpapered to cover the electrical wiring. If you're not wiring your house, and your wood is decent quality, you can paint and it'll be just fine. I always prime my wood with gesso and then sand, but you can also sand your first coat of paint and it'll give you a nicer finish (in my experience, anyway).

Which house are you working on? Good luck! And I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and helpfulness here! I've only been here a few days myself, and I've already learned a lot!

All the best,

Wendy

I skim coat the plywood walls across the grain.  You can us an old credit card or putty knife.

This basically fills in the pores.  When dry, lightly sand, then wipe clean. 

I use a high density foam roller to apply the paint. 

a282e8bb-3bf2-434f-bcef-892600097f69_100roller1.png.df12b6b5f796db35f432ba1adf3a    36fd957c-3101-463f-8e5d-83be7857fd69_1009db3ef5a-6ea6-40a8-a61e-1d59b8557d54_100

It comes out beautifully!!

I cheated on my Orchid. I glued a sheet of white cardstock to the back side of the hardboard wall that I have in my kitchen (it's really textured. Also, never use hardboard). Anyway, got that glued down then put a stucco finish right over it. You could simply paint over it if you want. Just make sure you really press it into the wall firmly using a spackle knife or a piece of wood so that you get a smooth finish. After that, you can apply whatever painted finish you like. 

Thanks, all! Great ideas! Wendy, I'm working on an old RGT Mountain View Cottage. Apparently this kit was discontinued about 10 years ago but I found one on eBay for a super price. Since it's my first one, I was delighted to get one very reasonably priced. I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. However, I'm loving it! I really like the building part. I'm afraid I will struggle with the decorating, though. I guess I'll find out!

mb

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaryBethD said:

Thanks, all! Great ideas! Wendy, I'm working on an old RGT Mountain View Cottage. Apparently this kit was discontinued about 10 years ago but I found one on eBay for a super price. Since it's my first one, I was delighted to get one very reasonably priced. I wasn't sure if I'd stick with it. However, I'm loving it! I really like the building part. I'm afraid I will struggle with the decorating, though. I guess I'll find out!

mb

How fun! That is a cute little house! Congratulations! I'm so glad you're having fun with it! Building is fun, but decorating and interior finishing is fun too!!! :)

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes! I'm going to "follow" you (that sounds so stalkery) so I can see! I hope that's okay.

Good luck! And have fun!

Wendy

3 minutes ago, Griffonfeathers said:

How fun! That is a cute little house! Congratulations! I'm so glad you're having fun with it! Building is fun, but decorating and interior finishing is fun too!!! :)

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes! I'm going to "follow" you (that sounds so stalkery) so I can see! I hope that's okay.

Good luck! And have fun!

Wendy

Stalk away, Wendy!!

20 hours ago, mesp2k said:

I skim coat the plywood walls across the grain.  You can us an old credit card or putty knife.

This basically fills in the pores.  When dry, lightly sand, then wipe clean. 

I use a high density foam roller to apply the paint. 

a282e8bb-3bf2-434f-bcef-892600097f69_100roller1.png.df12b6b5f796db35f432ba1adf3a    36fd957c-3101-463f-8e5d-83be7857fd69_1009db3ef5a-6ea6-40a8-a61e-1d59b8557d54_100

It comes out beautifully!!

Mike, So when you do this, you use the paint you're going to feature and not primer? I think I'm going to try this on the exterior of my house, since I won't be doing siding.

4 hours ago, nolephan said:

Mike, So when you do this, you use the paint you're going to feature and not primer?

I forgot to give credit to KathieB > "skim coat of Spackle or wallboard mud/joint compound."

That skim coat does not seal the wood, but it creates a more even coat when painted over < the paint will seal the wood.

I do not use a primer.

One finished coat should look even, smooth & solid. 

If you feel it needs another coat that's up to you. :)

Good luck Laurie!

2 hours ago, mesp2k said:

I forgot to give credit to KathieB > "skim coat of Spackle or wallboard mud/joint compound."

That skim coat does not seal the wood, but it creates a more even coat when painted over < the paint will seal the wood.

I do not use a primer.

One finished coat should look even, smooth & solid. 

If you feel it needs another coat that's up to you. :)

Good luck Laurie!

great, thanks!