Hello from Davis, CA

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to this hobby in that I don't have a lot of experience in the community or with any of the commercially available kits, furniture, or tools out there. Way back when, I grew up building plastic model kits, mostly Tamiya military miniatures. These days I use some of my spare hours in my shop tinkering with cast off bits of hardwood that I collect from a local cabinetmaker.

It must be three years ago now that I finished my first dollhouse effort. Here's a shot of the final product with a cat enjoying the view:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14641557@N07/14452976480/in/datetaken/

Our twins love it and keep pestering me to finish my current project. My progress has been slow on this one - I think the first photos in this Flickr stream are nearly three years old. Yeesh, I should just get on with it! https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZxWXaJ

Hope to learn a lot from the more experienced builders here, and get some tips for how to light these things. That's been my biggest challenge, and I haven't put the time into figuring it out yet.

Good to meet you all! Happy building!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Aaron.

Nice work. How old are the twins? Don't wait to finish until they are too old, even though you really are never too old to enjoy the hobby.

They're 8 now, turning 9 later this year. I haven't taken any pictures of the project for a while now, but I'm farther along than the latest images. Still have a lot to do! :)

You're lucky to have access to several of the best mini shops around, should you ever decide to decorate to hearts content..The Elegant Dollhouse was an old haunt of mine when I lived in Roseville and there are several nice shops in the Bay Area.