Marquam Hill Mansion

WyckedWood

Anyone who has built this kit...I'm getting my initial sub assemblies together. I was working on the right side wall sub assembly. There are 3 sections to this sub, part 30,28 and 29. 29 is an interior kitchen divider wall. 28 and 30 are milled siding on their exterior, 30 being a large piece and 28 a smaller section also called " right side wall bottom".  My problem is that the milled siding on this piece runs opposite piece 30, the upper wall. Is this a defect or am I missing something/trying to glue the wrong pieces. There is no other piece similar that I can find after initially assuming I must have the wrong piece. 

Has this ever happened to someone building a D.C. with milled siding? Trying to establish whether this is a common defect. Thanks for any help. 

Both the Dura-Crafts I've built, the SF555 and the Cambridge, had the milled siding, but they were tongue & groove sections approximately 2" wide that had to be tightly glued together to form the sections of exterior wall.  Are you building the all-wood version or the mdf version of the MHM?

It's half and half, the tower is plywood. The sections in question are milled mdf. I glued everything together because I don't see where I have a choice, but I have a nagging suspicion this is going to come back to bite me in the you know where. The exterior is getting a paperclay treatment afterwards so it's not of huge importance but I would feel a lot better if someone piped up with " oh ya that happens sometimes" so I don't have to keep questioning my sanity and/or looking for a part that isn't here. 

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Anyone who has built this kit...I'm getting my initial sub assemblies together. I was working on the right side wall sub assembly. There are 3 sections to this sub, part 30,28 and 29. 29 is an interior kitchen divider wall. 28 and 30 are milled siding on their exterior, 30 being a large piece and 28 a smaller section also called " right side wall bottom".  My problem is that the milled siding on this piece runs opposite piece 30, the upper wall. Is this a defect or am I missing something/trying to glue the wrong pieces. There is no other piece similar that I can find after initially assuming I must have the wrong piece. 

Has this ever happened to someone building a D.C. with milled siding? Trying to establish whether this is a common defect. Thanks for any help. 

On my San Fran 557, I received a piece of milled siding that had the miters cut the wrong way, which would have put the siding upside down on that piece if I used it as cut. It was an obvious error because it was for part of the ground floor bay window and had a rebate cut into the "bottom to fit the foundation. You can see what I'm talking about on my blog here.

I think this might have happened with dura-craft from time to time, if you have the same issue too.

That's how this piece is, other than the siding being upside down, it has the groove things in the right place and fits the way it should. Ok that makes me feel better, thanks. Ironically the instructions specifically say " Important notice: please take a minute to study the direction of the siding on the outside of the walls. Upside-down siding will not impress your friends. "  Sounds like someone didn't take their own advice lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

That's how this piece is, other than the siding being upside down, it has the groove things in the right place and fits the way it should. Ok that makes me feel better, thanks. Ironically the instructions specifically say " Important notice: please take a minute to study the direction of the siding on the outside of the walls. Upside-down siding will not impress your friends. "  Sounds like someone didn't take their own advice lol 

Quality control - not their strong point. :D

Thank you Sarah, so nice to be building again and to be here :) 

I need to update this thread to say......ummmm....crisis averted....USER ERROR....if I had followed Hollys often given advice to dry fit the house I would have seen that I had the piece on wrong and it's not dura crafts fault...this time :) the glue had hardened already so I had a heck of a time separating it from the pieces I had glued it to. I'm not used to this mdf, very paranoid I'm going to break something. 

I'm excited too Debora, I really enjoyed doing my little Tudor DC last year, so I'd like to try something similar on a large house. I don't want to do grungy medieval but something kinda English cottage, whimsy Tudor. I think the lines of the house can pull that off if I do all different trim, etc. I sure can see a Christmas tree in that big front bay window, so I'd like to do something where I can change things with the seasons (window boxes etc). Thinking it wouldn't make sense if I have permanent window boxes with flowers and then put a Christmas tree in front of the window :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

I'm excited too Debora, I really enjoyed doing my little Tudor DC last year, so I'd like to try something similar on a large house. I don't want to do grungy medieval but something kinda English cottage, whimsy Tudor. I think the lines of the house can pull that off if I do all different trim, etc. I sure can see a Christmas tree in that big front bay window, so I'd like to do something where I can change things with the seasons (window boxes etc). Thinking it wouldn't make sense if I have permanent window boxes with flowers and then put a Christmas tree in front of the window :) 

Nice! Go, go, go! :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Thank you Sarah, so nice to be building again and to be here :) 

I need to update this thread to say......ummmm....crisis averted....USER ERROR....if I had followed Hollys often given advice to dry fit the house I would have seen that I had the piece on wrong and it's not dura crafts fault...this time :) the glue had hardened already so I had a heck of a time separating it from the pieces I had glued it to. I'm not used to this mdf, very paranoid I'm going to break something. 

Ahh.. that's good! Mine was definitely an error though.. lol.... I use vinegar to loosen glue on the MDF, It works well if you are patient enough to let it work.....:rolleyes:

Thanks Karin and Samantha for the inspiration to loosen the glue to remove the stairs in my mdf house. But why couldn't you have been inspirational say, last night, before I spent 2-3 hours this morning standing on my head to paint the installed stairs?! Anyhow, I got one out, the second might have to stay, but one is better than both!

BTW, welcome back Karin! Looking forward to watching your build! :)

Lol about the stairs...better late than never, that was a great tip. Thank you, it's good to be around :) As far as standing on your head...been there too!! Many...many times :) 

5 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Thanks Karin and Samantha for the inspiration to loosen the glue to remove the stairs in my mdf house. But why couldn't you have been inspirational say, last night, before I spent 2-3 hours this morning standing on my head to paint the installed stairs?! Anyhow, I got one out, the second might have to stay, but one is better than both!

Oops.. sorry! Better late than never. :D