Lighting - Power Strip Question

angt29

Hi there.  I don't post here much, but have browsed the forums.  I am in the process of rehabilitating a dollhouse that was put together when I was a child, but was never finished.  I electrifying it, and ordered all the necessary pieces to create a round wire system.  I ordered a Houseworks transformer and power strip from miniatures.com.  I also ordered several lights.  The power strip I got from the site is #2203.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here.

Anyhow, I ordered some different lights, both by Heidi Ott and Houseworks.  The light strip outlet holes are slightly too wide for both plugs.  At first I thought it might have been because the Heidi Ott wasn't the same brand (though I thought they would be universally spaced), so I tried the Houseworks light, and those plugs were slightly too narrow as well.  It seems that it's the light strip that is the problem.  It's the weekend, so I'll have to wait until Monday to call about it.

In the meantime, has anyone ever run into this issue or heard of this problem?  Am I doing something wrong?  The strip and the lights are both one inch scale.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Angie

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you plugging them in the right direction? There should be one plug per row, not several plugs side by side. Here's a photo: https://jennsminis.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ffwiringexposed.jpg

Also make sure you're using the 1:12 plugs with the 1:12 power strip. If your power strip is 2203 (not H2203, which is the half scale version), then the plugs need to look like this: http://www.miniatures.com/Male-Plugs-P17656.aspx (angled edges)

Not like this: http://www.miniatures.com/124-Scale-Male-Plugs-P19363.aspx (straight edges and a lip around the top)

If you're using the right plugs with the right power strip and plugging them in the right direction, you might be able to move the prongs on the plugs slightly to fit the holes (try putting the tip of needlenose pliers between the prongs and open the pliers to force the prongs outward). But you're right that the 1:12 plugs should be universal, so if none of them fit it seems like a problem with the power strip.

When I looked online I did question whether I had accidentally ordered the half scale strip, but it is indeed simply number 2203, not H2203.  I also double checked my lights, and they are indeed 1/12th scale, and look the same as the link you provided, Emily.  I was putting them in the correct orientation, but they are still too narrow.  I had my husband look, and he believes it's a manufacturing error with the strip.  He said the plugs would break if I stressed them enough to fit in the holes.  The holes are too wide by about the with of one of the prongs.  As you know, none of this stuff is cheap, so I don't want to damage anything!  It seems so odd, as it's obviously a very known brand.  I was curious if you guys had ever heard of this before.

Tracy, I did make the mistake of driving all the way out to Hobby Lobby on a Sunday a few weeks ago!  Guess I should have checked the hours before I left the house.

I guess since I ordered this from miniatures.com, I will have to go through them to address the issue.  I appreciate all the brainstorming in terms of what the problem could be, but it seems that all the parts are correct.  Thank you!  If anyone else has encountered this problem, please let me know. 

Oh, and just to clarify the universality of lighting:  all 1/12th scale lighting should universally fit the 1/12 scale power strip, right?  So, regardless of what brand the power strip is, all brands of lights should have plugs that fit?  You don't need to match brands up? 

That's right, 1:12 plugs are all the same, no matter what brand. You can also replace the 1:12 plugs easily if you need to.

It does seem strange that the holes would be so far off! Let us know what you hear back from customer service.

Glad you got it all sorted out! And April, I have also gone to Hobby Lobby (more than once) forgetting the fact that they are closed on Sundays! Seems I always sun out of clay on Sunday evenings  :) I can't wait to see pictures of your projects!

So, I talked to customer service at miniatures.com this morning.  The customer service representative was completely aware of the 'issue' and said that they have to separate the prongs on all of their lights to fit in their power strips.  She made it sound like this is the way they are, that they have a ton in stock and need to sell them before they get more in.  She sent me to the sales director, and she confirmed that this is 'just the way they are' and that they will pretty much all be like this.  She made it seem like it really isn't a problem, but I don't see why having to separate plug prongs with pliers is normal.  Seems like a problem that should be corrected on the manufacturing level. 

I'm sure there are lots of people here who use these power strips.  Does everyone have to separate prongs like this, or can your plugs just fit in to the strip straight off?  I guess I feel like I shouldn't have to alter the plugs for all my lights to fit in a power strip that doesn't seem to be aligned correctly.  Before I decide to go forward with a return and try my luck with buying it from somewhere else, potentially from another batch, I want to see what the general experience is with these strips. 

Thanks!!

I just bought the Cir-Kit starter kit and it said online that the "If using this kit with Houseworks lights that come with plugs, you will have to change the plugs, as Houseworks plugs are not compatible with Cir-Kit outlets. You either need to replace the Cir-Kit outlets with Houseworks outlets, or replace the Houseworks plugs with Cir-Kit plugs. "

Is this the problem you are having?

HBS   link.

Edited by Mid-life madness
insert link

No, I considered the brand issue as I first tried a non-Houseworks light and the power strip is made by Houseworks.  However, I tried a Houseworks light in it and also was too narrow.  It just seems so strange to me that it's *normal* for plugs to not fit outlets properly, especially when they are the same brand!  Thank you. :)

Anyone else?  I know there must be lots of round wire users here. :)

I use the tapewire outlets and have run into the same problem. You just have to twist the prongs outward a little for a snug fit. This way they don't wiggle or come loose easily. Maybe it's intentional for that reason.

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I just bought the Cir-Kit starter kit and it said online that the "If using this kit with Houseworks lights that come with plugs, you will have to change the plugs, as Houseworks plugs are not compatible with Cir-Kit outlets. You either need to replace the Cir-Kit outlets with Houseworks outlets, or replace the Houseworks plugs with Cir-Kit plugs. "

Is this the problem you are having?

HBS   link.

That's odd. I've used them interchangeably. (With outlets, not power strips, but still.) Maybe I'm used to wiggling the prongs and don't remember that I always have to do it!

Edited by fov

15 hours ago, otterine said:

When I run into the issue of the "new and improved" being really unusable, I start looking at eBay for the new old stock and buy the ones that work like they should. :) 

Right?  It seems like we are going backward with the reliability of technology!  I'll peruse Ebay to see what's out there.  Thanks!

Sable and Emily,

Thanks for weighing in.  I guess I will take one of the lights and see how much I have to manipulate them to get them in.  I also might bring one to Hobby Lobby and just compare through the package whether or not it would work better.  Otherwise I guess I will have to make do and get used to it. 

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help!

I've not encountered this problem yet.. I'm not sure what brand my power strips are though... I'll have to go and look and get back to you... Now that I think about it, I think that I did have to do that with one light but I thought it was a problem with the light, not the power strip, at the time.

Yeah, let me know what you find.  It's interesting that there is so much variance with the electrical products.  Glad to hear that some power strips are properly sized, though!

I know this is going to double post again, and I'm so embarrassed.  I keep getting an error message after I hit submit, and then it shows up twice in the thread.  I'm going to contact the administrator. 

Hmmmm so I went and looked at a power strip I have in my stash and the store I bought it from has rebranded the packaging to their own so I can't tell who made it. I looked at the actual power strip and it has absolutely no identifying markings on it at all.. The only thing on it was on the inner packaging which i assume the part shipped to the store in had a little label that said AC321... I thought this might be a part number and tried to do a quick google search but didn't come up with anything... I guess mine are just some generically made strips that vendors can rebrand... sorry I can't be of more help. 

Oh, and I bought them from an Australian vendor so shipping to the US would probably make them too expensive for you. (FYI if you do buy electrical components from another country.. don't buy the transformer, we have different plugs and voltage for Real Life power so only everything up to the transformer works in dollhouse miniatures (anything 12v), excluding the transformer.

Thanks for checking.  When I spoke to miniatures.com, she stated that all that stuff is just rebranded for different vendors, so that makes sense. 

When I see sellers outside of the U.S. on Ebay I just automatically pass them over, because I know I don't want to pay shipping!!