Question of Scale

Roxxie2

23 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

What scale are the Calico Critters  animals and furniture accessories?  I've been offered a bunch and was wondering if they were 1:24 scale.  Thanks

I used them in my 1:24 houseboat conversion. They are a bit large but work if they're not near furniture. :D 

• Like 1

Yes - they are a bit chunky. Fine for a chunky fuzzy plastic squirrel's house, but less fine for real miniaturists' uses. 

Or as Kathie mentions - you have to choose carefully among them and display them carefully and they can blend in. I have a little Calico critters birthday table that works great in my lundby house. Oddly enough - the ironing board was very tiny and probably would be fine in 1:24, but it is so plastic-y.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

So are Marx plastic furniture also half scale?    I haven't used any of these scale pieces before but its almost impossible to find half scale kitchen pieces. 

Which is why I wound up making all my furniture for my Fairfields.

2 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

So are Marx plastic furniture also half scale?    I haven't used any of these scale pieces before but its almost impossible to find half scale kitchen pieces. 

I have found the vintage plastic Marx and Ideal to be a mixed bag of scales. I have the cutest little brown plastic china hutch but it is larger than 1:24 but a lot smaller than 1:12. But then I have the plastic kitchen sink which is just right in my fairfield. The bathrooms seem a little large for 1:24. I actually have one of those bathrooms in a see-it-thru-the-door only bathroom and it looks fine in 1:12. Too big for 1:24.

Again - it all depends on the piece, imo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

So are Marx plastic furniture also half scale? 

Sometimes.  Marx made 1:24 houses and houses that were closer to 1:18.  I found that I had to be very careful and double-check the measurements when I was shopping on eBay, although after a while you start to recognize which are which.  I wouldn't use Marx furniture for something like a sofa, but they work great for appliances and bathroom fixtures.  I have a Marx tub and toilet in the bathroom of my Merrimack, and a washing machine in the utility room.  They take paint well, too.  My tub started out ivory and my toilet was dark red; now they're both pink!

• Like 2

Definitely check out sdk miniatures for half scale furniture. Her kits are very well done and reasonably priced as well. I have her modern kitchen for one of my as yet unbuilt houses.....Also look for Acme fridge magnets on ebay. I have several different stove styles as well as a few fridges.  Emily (fov) uses them in her houses

On 11/04/2017, 4:07:11, Roxxie2 said:

I laser cut my own range of half scale furniture, including kitchen items, and am working on more designs currently. Here is a link to my Etsy store:

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RedCottageMiniatures

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Oh I did see your store Shannon!   I didn't know it was yours but when I get some time and get the glue off my fingers I will go have a look!   Thanks! :)

No worries Roxy! Always trying to add new stuff, if you wanted to see anything in particular. Unfortunately my laser cutter is playing up so not getting a lot cut. Let me know if you have any questions!

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Shannon's stuff is gorgeous!

Thanks Holly! I really want some great half asale minis out there, to get more people into the scale.

7 hours ago, Samusa said:

If I ever build a half scale.. I will be shopping at Shannon's store. :D

Thanks Sam! More than happy for you to come visit me virtually (or in real life - I have the Sydney and Melbourne mini shows coming up over the next few months). 

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

No worries Roxy! Always trying to add new stuff, if you wanted to see anything in particular. Unfortunately my laser cutter is playing up so not getting a lot cut. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks Holly! I really want some great half asale minis out there, to get more people into the scale.

Thanks Sam! More than happy for you to come visit me virtually (or in real life - I have the Sydney and Melbourne mini shows coming up over the next few months). 

I'm trying to get to the Sydney show for sure... Do you still sell your French house? I could be interested... :D

I've been eyeing Shannon's store for a while.  Unfortunately, most of the items don't quite fit my current project (although I wish I'd seen the sink unit before ordering my kitchen supplies), but that luggage. . . .  I love the detail on the latches!  And I know the couple living in the Merrimack are world travelers. . . .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Great Store Shannon and good to see some attention paid to 1/24th........may it prosper and grow!

Thanks Mike. It is certainly a limited market, but I think it's because there is so little available. I am slowly trying to remedy that by adding accessories as well as furniture. I kind of think the minis market (with the exception of the OOAK crafters/artisans) has been quite stagnant for a few years.

13 hours ago, Samusa said:

I'm trying to get to the Sydney show for sure... Do you still sell your French house? I could be interested... :D

That's great Sam - lots of beautiful things to see and buy! Yes I still sell my French house. I have some in MDF cut and ready to go, which will be fine for domestic postage or Sydney show but they are too heavy to ship internationally (I need to cut more for international sales, which is why they are not listed in my Etsy store).