Vintage Houses

Ninja

Just wondering if anyone on here is into vintage houses? When I first started in minis I steered clear of them because I couldn't see the interest in having a house I could do so little with (as keeping the original decor etc seems to be the key with them), however over recent years I have had a change of heart & now have a few...

This is a G&J Lines house from the 1920s, interior decor all original, exterior could be restored to original if I decide to in the future

Inside 1.jpg

Inside 2.jpg

Outside.jpg

Edited by Ninja
inaccurate house numbers!
  • Like 4

I just got another Lines house - a number 74 from the 1920s - it's currently all wrapped up having been treated for woodworm, so it won't be back out until autumn, but this is how it looks outside. Other than the stirs, there are no original features left inside so currently debating whether to do this one in repro Lines papers or have more fun & do it my way!

Number 74.jpg

• Like 3

I have a handmade 1930s Handicrafts house. This is also being treated for woodworm, but when it comes out, it only needs the proper windows made & some furniture, so will be trying my hand at mini fretwork for this one! It's pretty small being somewhere between 16th & 24th scale.

Handicrafts House.jpg

Handicrafts interior.jpg

• Like 2

I love vintage houses - I am envious that you have collected so many! I managed to obtain a box of 1920s furnishings...but am always looking for the right house for them. I love collecting vintage or pre-owned houses as I just love seeing how someone put together their collection decades ago. It is a little window into the past. I'm not a purist, so when I get a pre-owned completed house (I prefer them to be pre-furnished) I add a few things to the house and rearrange things a bit (but not much) and just enjoy it. 

I love the old wallpapers in your houses - did they come with those or did you restore them? I just love that stuff. Thanks for sharing these photos! 

I wish there smaller scale replica kits of a lot of these vintage houses. I am sure there are copyright issues, but I'd love some 1:48 triang houses. I guess I could try from scratch, but I am too lazy. Love all the details they put in with the roof lines and catslide porches. There are some 1930s cape cods I also love - and the floor plans are often just perfect. Well anyway - thanks for sharing these!

Hi, Ninja,  Those houses are awesome!  How did you manage to acquire so many?  I would be thrilled to just find one Lines house.  Guess I need to check Ebay more often. 

On 14/04/2017, 19:54:42, mks said:

Hi, Ninja,  Those houses are awesome!  How did you manage to acquire so many?  I would be thrilled to just find one Lines house.  Guess I need to check Ebay more often. 

Thanks everyone ;-) 

mks - I guess I was just in the right place at the right time! Only one was off Ebay, and that was almost unrecognisable. Three were from antique/vintage shops in a town nearby where my dad is in a care home. Having a browse clears my head when it's been a difficult visit! I did have to wait 6 months to finally get the Lines 74 as they were asking way to much for it, so I just kept offering my price periodically & they finally gave in! The small Handicrafts house was at a local auction. I left a bid at my top price & was lucky enough to get it.

On 13/04/2017, 16:51:18, Elsbeth said:

I love vintage houses - I am envious that you have collected so many! I managed to obtain a box of 1920s furnishings...but am always looking for the right house for them. I love collecting vintage or pre-owned houses as I just love seeing how someone put together their collection decades ago. It is a little window into the past. I'm not a purist, so when I get a pre-owned completed house (I prefer them to be pre-furnished) I add a few things to the house and rearrange things a bit (but not much) and just enjoy it. 

I love the old wallpapers in your houses - did they come with those or did you restore them? I just love that stuff. Thanks for sharing these photos! 

Elsbeth I would love to see the 1920s furnishings! I have a collection of antique furniture & bits too - I have had to restore quite a few as they seem to be getting exceptionally dear now. Re the wallpapers, the ones in the first & last two houses are original. The Lines 71 off Ebay didn't have any original papers but it did have a large heron on the back wall of the kitchen which I left, & I printed wallpapers with a bird theme to use in the rest of the house. The Lines 74 doesn't have any original papers in & the jury is still out on which way to go with it...!

• 4 weeks later...

I did come across a Triang once from the '60's, but it had been kept in a very damp garage - the plastic roof was split (this seems to be a common problem with Triangs from that period. The wood on the top was very damp and warped, and the electrics were all rusted. The metal front could have been striped of its paint and the rust underneath removed as I'd had a look to see how it could be done, but there wasn't a lot I could do about the roof. That experience put me off working with vintage houses to be honest because it's not just the decor you've got to consider - it's the quality of the materials used to build them, how well they've been cared for and how they've stood up to wear and tear over the years. (Most of them from were meant to be toys, too, and not meant to last.) I believe that the scale most of them will be 16th/18th scale.

There is a company called ELF miniatures in the UK that makes new furniture for Triang and Lundby houses but it is in a modern style, so I don't know if they'll complement the style of the houses.

Edited by Icewolf
  • Like 1