Embossed Stone Sheets

Morjem911

Happy Easter!

So, I finished my first dollhouse refurb a little over a year ago and everyone here was such a big help!

I planned on moving straight into another one I picked up for $10, then life got in the way. But I've finally got back in the groove and I'm working on it again.

I bought some of the MDF lap siding and yesterday I cut out the windows and doors, but I really wasn't feeling it. Then while I was sitting here last night, I kept looking at the house and it hit me that stone would be really cute with the shape of the house.

I watched the tutorials on the egg crate version, but I am the world's worst painter so I already know that would be a disaster lol! So I kept looking and I found these "stones" that you can actually cut, but they were $20 for 72 sq inches, and I've got 405 sq inches just on one side alone. So that was a no go. Then I found these embossed stone sheets on eBay. I read the feedback and the people that bought them all seem to have left positive, so I ordered them. 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/391749868274

I really just wanted to get the opinions of those far more knowledgeable than I on using the sheets. Since I have no experience with anything like this, my fear is they'll look cheap and super fake. Also, how are they applied? Are seams a problem? And finally, I ran my electric cords out the walls, figuring they'd be covered by the siding, so will these show with the sheets?

Thanks so much!

Happy Easter!  I used these on my manor house.  They are great.  They are textured, not just printed, giving it a much more realistic look.  Almost every person who sees the house for the first time comments about the beautiful stonework.  They usually end up having to touch it and are surprised it's not real stone.  The trick is to make sure you put the right side up.  It's a little tricky, but hold it at arm's length and you'll be able to tell.  Another bonus is that it adds a lot less weight than adding real or plaster stonework.  I use Aileen's Tacky glue.  The paper is stiff, and with the texture, it should be easy to hide your cords.  I also recommend lining up the seams and not overlapping.  I attached a photo so that you can see how they look.  I hope it helps.

1_manor_house_P1150063.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, and don't worry.  I think redos are just part of building dollhouses, especially, as you try more things.  I know I frequently redo things because they don't turn out the way I want them to or because my tastes change.  It's probably why I stick to only renovating my dollhouses and not my real house. :)

On 4/17/2017, 8:13:51, rodentraiser said:

Karen, did you get your sheets from the same person as Jona?

I don't recall specifically which online dollhouse store I got them from but miniatures.com and Superior Dollhouses sell them, as well as, some of the other stores.  They are often in the stone or siding sections.  There are a few different kinds of stone, as well as, brick.

I would definitely recommend them if you want to put stone on a large house.  My house is a Garfield, and it already takes two people to lift.  I can't imagine what it would weigh with real or plaster stone siding.