Bathroom Tile Floor

mks

I am trying to decide what to use for flooring for the bathroom in my Tennyson and I came across this yellow patterned delft tile that I bought several years ago.  I am thinking this is more suited for wall tile and not floor tile.  If so, what could I use on the floor that would complement this tile?  Interior design and color combinations are not my strong suit, unfortunately!  

IMG_0326.JPG

Try googling colors that compliment mustard yellow. It will give you ideas about what will look good with it. Also, I like to look at color combos in fabrics. That yellow is popular in Home Deco fabrics. Greys, dark browns, and and navys etc...

The tile is really pretty and would look great as a boarder on the wall, or on the floor for a decorative  accent so it mimics a rug, and then maybe have a solid color tile? Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Hmm so many choices would look great with yellow, I usually like the yellow + blue mix, but green looks great as well or even terracota. I find it easier to decide when I have an idea on my mind for the decorations I'll use, color/style of the fixtures and other acessories. 

4 hours ago, mks said:

I am trying to decide what to use for flooring for the bathroom in my Tennyson and I came across this yellow patterned delft tile that I bought several years ago.  I am thinking this is more suited for wall tile and not floor tile.  If so, what could I use on the floor that would complement this tile?  Interior design and color combinations are not my strong suit, unfortunately!  

Ooooh, it is really, really pretty tile! I agree that it would be lovely as wall tile.

I think that I would be tempted to go with either a very pale blue or very pale yellow tile on the floor, and put white wainscoting and chair rail between the floor and this beautiful tile.  But that's just me. *shrug*  It's going to look amazing whatever you do! Can't wait to see!

You could try finding inspiration in real life that you can translate to minis. Try a Pinterest search for yellow patterned wall tile bathroom ideas and see what comes up. I'm imagining white floors with blue or lavender accents in rugs etc. I don't think you'd want to compete with the pattern on the tile with more patterns. 

20 hours ago, mks said:

I agree that it is more suited to wall tile because it has a definite direction or grain. I would do a plain white or very pale yellow tile floor and use yellow or white accents, like a small rug, towels, etc. I think any other color, complementary or contrasting, would take away from the overall effect of the pattern.

Edited: I like Karin's suggestion (in the next message below) of lavender and green accents.  What I meant above is that any large areas of complementary or contrasting colors would be distracting.

I can see some lotions and potions in lavender scent. One of my favorite accessories is the mini Crabtree and Evelyn bottles. You could make some lavender soaps out of polymer clay and add some greenery with a fern, etc. 

• Like 1

TWO WORDS:

Shag carpet. 

Four more words:

Yes I am serious!

large.58f52252c5325_carpetinbath.jpg.4b4

I have never even thought of Yellow Delft Tile. Has anyone ever see yellow delft before?! Usually it has some blue in it. That isn't butter yellow either - that is bright yellow looking to me. 

So, if it were me I'd embrace the 1970s vibe of this yellow tile and mix it in with 70s wallpaper and a 70s-tastic floor that might incorporate harvest gold, avocado and burnt orange. OR yellow gold shag carpeting. I mean all of this in a good way. 

I heart my 70s Lundby house, but sometimes I want a Harrison all done up in 1970s over the top stereotypical shag/brown/gold/orange/avocado/wall paneling. Weird nostalgia I guess.

I realize tho that you may not love the 70s decor like I do...

That tile would look great in a non 70s setting as well. It would be adorable in the Tennyson's small kitchen. You can go as small as a sink or counter backsplash or do up the entire kitchen with tile wainscot. If you go with it, I hope you will share pics!

Thank you all for your input!  I am using part of the attic of the Tennyson for the bathroom and the other half for a bedroom.  Because of the sloping of the attic ceiling, I don't have much wall space for either room.  I was leaning toward a solid white floor with the delft tile on the wall, but Sable's idea of the delft tile on the floor leading up the back wall could definitely be an option.