Shadows on the Teche Replica

Erkgoer

I thought I would share a picture of this fun house with fellow mini enthusiasts. This is a 1:12 scale replica of the 1834 Shadows on the Teche plantation in New Iberia, LA. 

This replica belongs to my MIL. It's massive - 60 W" x 24 D" x 36 H". It was built from plans in the 1970's or 1980's for her mother by my MIL's aunt and uncle who were both artisans. None of them had much interest in miniatures so I'm not sure how it came to be, but it is quite unique. It was hectic with the holiday so I didn't have time to take any pics of the interior but it is fully decorated and electrified. About 9 rooms with an attic that runs the length of the house. It sits on a custom built table with a plaque displaying the name. 

This is the house that got me interested in miniatures. Hopefully I can remember to take some better photos one day! 

PhotoGrid_1492382138291.jpg

• Like 6

I bet I could do some digging and find out. The original owner gave quite a few tours of it to local groups and I know there are pamphlets that tell the story floating around in boxes somewhere. The builders were well known local artists and included some nice custom paintings and woodworking pieces. 

It has been through several moves and could use a rehab & some rewiring so my fingers are twitchy. Unfortunately my MIL doesn't have much interest in it aside from the sentimental attachment. 

WOW! What a great item to have in the family. I hope it eventually ends up with someone who loves it.

I came across this:

https://www.themsv.org/artwork/shadows-teche-house

So I am curious if your house is the one that inspired this person to build his.

"In the late 1970s, R. Lee Taylor read a newspaper article about a miniature of Shadows-on-the-Teche, a Louisiana historic home."

1 hour ago, KathieB said:
32 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

WOW! What a great item to have in the family. I hope it eventually ends up with someone who loves it.

I came across this:

https://www.themsv.org/artwork/shadows-teche-house

So I am curious if your house is the one that inspired this person to build his.

"In the late 1970s, R. Lee Taylor read a newspaper article about a miniature of Shadows-on-the-Teche, a Louisiana historic home."

Maybe! The one in your link is decorated much more lavishly. But it gives me ideas of how it could be remodeled. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Doesn't Matt have a mini painting of that house?

Nope, I have San Francisco and Parlange plantation paintings.  This house was built off plans by Dollhouse Domiciles from the 70s.  Here is one that is listed for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doll-House-1-12-scale-Replica-of-Shadows-on-the-Teche-in-Lousiania-/322237837646?hash=item4b06df314e:g:zTEAAOSwRgJXhQAW