(Almost) Between Weddings

armymom166

Hi, all, I haven't been on in awhile, busy planning three weddings (one for a friend and two for my children).  The first one went off without a planning hitch in January, second one is in a couple weeks, third one is not until next February, thank goodness!  I have not worked on any minis since last November as my shop has been taken over by tulle, centerpieces, lanterns, ribbon, pearls, and everything else "wedding".  Of course none of the brides have even close to similar styles, so almost nothing can be re-used, but I am now considering a full-time career change!  Did I mention we also catered the first one? 

My question to you all is this - how do I make time for my mini passion?  I really miss working on my houses!  Do I wait and hope things calm down, or do I carve out some time just for mini making?  I think my sanity is slipping a bit right now (did I mention my company now wants me to travel internationally?  AARRGGHH!)  I am looking for some words of wisdom from the wonderful members of this Forum.  :0)

I don't want to sound mean, but how about "no",   it's different for your kids, but you need your time before friends.   After the next wedding,  set your wedding stuff aside for a month since the last one isn't until nextyear. .. ..as for me, my minis went into hibernation for nearly 20 years.   Once I retired and the kids were gone, the minis and me got back together. What elsecan I do,  I have no life.

• Like 2

All I can say is, without working on the dh, I am not myself. Sometimes it is hard to put my needs before others' (I think we are trained to do this because of being mothers, etc.). The older I get, the more I am realizing that I need to make time for ME, even if it's only a couple of hours on the weekend - it's like a tonic for my soul. Then I have something in me to give to someone else.

• Like 1

Who is holding a gun to your head to make you consider a career change, much less leave your minis?  If it were me I'd find some other place to play wedding planner/ caterer and keep my workshop for minis.

• Like 2

I am a cake artist by trade, I've won competitions, been on TV, etc etc ...before that I catered.  Catering to me is the worst - no one appreciates the time involved in cooking for 20 people and when they have to PAY they really don't appreciate it.  Now I take 2 cakes a week and have stopped delivering.  I finally have something that resembles sanity (don't want to get too carried away) and I couldst be happier.  There are weeks the cakes are heavy designs and I can't get to my mini, but I still have sanity.  It's been 29 years since I built a house.  I wouldn't give this up right now for anything!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

I am a cake artist by trade, I've won competitions, been on TV, etc etc ...before that I catered.  Catering to me is the worst - no one appreciates the time involved in cooking for 20 people and when they have to PAY they really don't appreciate it.  Now I take 2 cakes a week and have stopped delivering.  I finally have something that resembles sanity (don't want to get too carried away) and I couldst be happier.  There are weeks the cakes are heavy designs and I can't get to my mini, but I still have sanity.  It's been 29 years since I built a house.  I wouldn't give this up right now for anything!

I understand catering.  My beloved sister was a caterer until she passed.  I helped her on many occasions.  It's not fun and games for sure.  I could never do that job as a living, not that I couldn't do the cooking, but I would go off on guests that are past rude and just horrible.  Mary catered my oldest sons reception, my niece was helping her.  She came up stairs obviously ticked.  When I asked, she she said they are demanding ice water.......wait, this is the grooms cousin, not hired help.....water went in the sink.  They went without.  I won't post what I said, but you can figure it out lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I understand catering.  My beloved sister was a caterer until she passed.  I helped her on many occasions.  It's not fun and games for sure.  I could never do that job as a living, not that I couldn't do the cooking, but I would go off on guests that are past rude and just horrible.  Mary catered my oldest sons reception, my niece was helping her.  She came up stairs obviously ticked.  When I asked, she she said they are demanding ice water.......wait, this is the grooms cousin, not hired help.....water went in the sink.  They went without.  I won't post what I said, but you can figure it out lol.

Catering is a brutal career in my humble opinion - and I know what I would've said to the ice water demanding &@$;(:/ so I'm sure I was close to how you felt.

My deepest sympathies about your sister. I adore mine and lost my brother many many years ago ... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, my sweet mother-in-law passed away somewhat unexpectedly.  She was the best m-in-law anyone could ever ask for, and the kindest lady I have ever known.  We will miss her dearly. 

Thank you all for the advice!  I have been missing my minis, they help me relax and unwind.  At least one wedding will be over this coming week.  I would love a career change, I have been in customer service since I was 14.  I will retire in a few years and will need to supplement my income, so maybe wedding planning will be the thing.  Minis will definitely be a part of the plan, too.  

Lawanda, "no" is a word I struggle with on a regular basis, lol!  I've been brought up in the service industry, and "no" just isn't part of the vocabulary.  I do need to start redirecting the conversation, though! I definitely need some "me" time.  

Thank you all for the advice, it feels so good to be back on the forum again!  And I can hear those houses calling me again...  ;0)

Debra, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have to say, when I worked for the bank, we had to say 'no' many times. But when I transferred to a little bank in a rich, rich town, it was figure out how you can do whatever the customers want. I've never seen so many entitled people in my life. Fortunately, after that I ended up working in a 7-11 where I not only could tell the customers no, but I could also tell them to get their a$$ out of my store before I threw them out when the occasion merited it. When you have control like that. you feel so good. And some people wondered why I liked that minimum wage job and stayed at it as long as I did.

• Like 1

I am feeling swamped right now with my mother's health deteriorating - I'm still working a seasonal job - trying to keep up with my mother's business / doctors / needs - trying to get an online business going so I can quit my other job - and on and on. I came to the conclusion that I NEED some mini time. If I don't create, I stagnate!  Right now I am compromising by making little fairy gardens for a Home & Garden Show coming up soon. I'm taking the plunge and getting a booth for my own business. It's not a craft show and I will have fairy miniatures to sell, but I am also making a few things. I have so many dh kits I'm itching to start, but can't right now.

Debra, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL.  These things are so hard to take! :console: