Seasonal Landscaping

Erkgoer

I am starting to plan my first landscaping project but I get hung up on how to switch it up to account for different seasons as I decorate the house accordingly. 

Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to incorporate a large tree that could be swapped out? I'm thinking of making 2 - one with a lot of green leaves and one with a few late fall leaves. I can't visualize how to anchor it to the base, while making it interchangeable. 

My friend weighted her trees bottoms.  She built out from the trees with appropriate seasonal flower beds, does that make sense? So it's not just the tree, but a bit around it.  Then left a spot on her board, and each tree has the same size base.

so like a flower bed, a bench for summer, and snow drifts and such for winter.

3 minutes ago, smjsome said:

My friend weighted her trees bottoms.  She built out from the trees with appropriate seasonal flower beds, does that make sense? So it's not just the tree, but a bit around it.  Then left a spot on her board, and each tree has the same size base.

so like a flower bed, a bench for summer, and snow drifts and such for winter.

That's a great idea, thank you! That makes a lot more sense than what I originally had in mind. I would love to see hers, does she have pictures posted anywhere? 

No, she's not an online kinda gal.

its very cute, a giant house with real rock exterior, weighs a ton, with a huge garden.  Basically a large kitchen table size, and it is on a twirly thing, so it can turn, but she has it placed so she doesn't need to turn it.

she has summer, winter and fall trees.  Also, she puts a lot of her flower beds on little boards, so she can pick them up and move them.  I have learned a lot from her!  She even has done the same for many of her  fireplace mantels, a bit of cardstock painted to match, with the Xmas displays glued to it, and she can just set them in on her fireplace mantels.

just FYI, for her snow scenes - she was given an old torn white chenille blanket, so she cut it to fit, lays it over her summer grass, and spreads the snow flakes stuff on that.  She and her daughter made snow drifts and snow angel scenes out of air dry clay, and mixes those in.

Makes clean up in the spring very easy.

so, she and my husband found and bought me a cute porch, just a porch, that I'm going to do the same to, boards that fit into the flower beds, I can change out winter, fall and summer

Well the way to handle major seasons in smaller scales is a base that you swap out for each desired season. You decorate one base per season, then move the house onto it/store the other seasons when not in use.

I realize this might not work for 1:12, but in some cases it could. I always wanted to do a small square base with trees that I could do for each season, or even just the same tree but in 4 different foliages - even if that was on a small external base-thing. Anyway - just ideas. Good luck!

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smjsome said:

No, she's not an online kinda gal.

its very cute, a giant house with real rock exterior, weighs a ton, with a huge garden.  Basically a large kitchen table size, and it is on a twirly thing, so it can turn, but she has it placed so she doesn't need to turn it.

she has summer, winter and fall trees.  Also, she puts a lot of her flower beds on little boards, so she can pick them up and move them.  I have learned a lot from her!  She even has done the same for many of her  fireplace mantels, a bit of cardstock painted to match, with the Xmas displays glued to it, and she can just set them in on her fireplace mantels.

just FYI, for her snow scenes - she was given an old torn white chenille blanket, so she cut it to fit, lays it over her summer grass, and spreads the snow flakes stuff on that.  She and her daughter made snow drifts and snow angel scenes out of air dry clay, and mixes those in.

Makes clean up in the spring very easy.

so, she and my husband found and bought me a cute porch, just a porch, that I'm going to do the same to, boards that fit into the flower beds, I can change out winter, fall and summer

That sounds really neat and the porch projects sounds like a lot of fun! 

11 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Well the way to handle major seasons in smaller scales is a base that you swap out for each desired season. You decorate one base per season, then move the house onto it/store the other seasons when not in use.

I realize this might not work for 1:12, but in some cases it could. I always wanted to do a small square base with trees that I could do for each season, or even just the same tree but in 4 different foliages - even if that was on a small external base-thing. Anyway - just ideas. Good luck!

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

This is a really good idea but as you mentioned, I don't know how well it would work with a larger 1:12 scale house. I was thinking of landscaping for a RGT house and they are so heavy! 

12 minutes ago, Erkgoer said:

That sounds really neat and the porch projects sounds like a lot of fun! 

This is a really good idea but as you mentioned, I don't know how well it would work with a larger 1:12 scale house. I was thinking of landscaping for a RGT house and they are so heavy! 

Yeah...a big house would be tough to drop onto a base. Maybe the base just needs removable portions - so you can put down the snow covered ground/trees or the leaf covered ground/bare trees, etc. without having to do much "gardening" of individual things.

I feel very "all or nothing" with the seasons. I want snow covered ground, bare trees, no flowers, etc., along with the option of a full on floral fantasy of spring. I have a great set of trees - one is wintery with lights and now on the bare branches, the other version has the red and gold leaves of autumn, one is just bare and sorta creepy (halloween). I love switching them out. Show us what you come up with!