Favorite power tools?

WyckedWood

I'd like to know which are your favorite power tools...both for furniture making and general house building. Thinking about getting more self sufficient when it comes to making furniture, etc. and just having a better stocked workshop. 

I like my little table saw (it's from Harbor Freight, has begun to sound like its dying and needs replacing, but it was cheap) for straight cuts, but I learned how to use DH's bandsaw to make fancy cuts when I was making the Farmhouse's dining chairs:

parlor 2.JPG

I love my Dremel Stylus for sanding fiddly places.  I use DH's belt sander for sanding straight edges (like the dining table in the above picture).

38 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I just bought this saw from Harbor Freight tools to do trim pieces etc. The price is right plus you can use a 20% off coupon. It is much faster and less frustrating (to me) compared to a miter box. And, it is quiet.

I have that same cut off saw! In fact that is one of my few power tools and it does make it so much easier. 

Holly thanks, I have a dremel but it's really outdated and not working well anymore. I think a cordless one would be pretty handy. 

Wondering if anyone has a mini wood lathe and their experience with it?  

16 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Too many to name.  My most go to is a little hand saw.  For bigger pieces I use the Rockwell saw my spouse picked out for me.

I like my Rockwell Versacut for cutting down large pieces of plywood. Then I can place the smaller sections onto the Micromark mini table saw.  I also use the diamond blade in the Micromark to cut and grind stone.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/versacut-mini-circular-saw-rk3440k.html?mkwid=sFdTyLmuQ&crid=191937149172&mp_kw=rockwell&mp_mt=e&pdv=m&gclid=CLWeuc20udMCFUNbhgodkscCrA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I have that same cut off saw! In fact that is one of my few power tools and it does make it so much easier. 

Holly thanks, I have a dremel but it's really outdated and not working well anymore. I think a cordless one would be pretty handy. 

Wondering if anyone has a mini wood lathe and their experience with it?  

I have a mini lathe I got from Harbor Freight before we moved, but DH has decided he wants one of our wood turner friends to help him set it up for me.  Meanwhile, I turned the legs on the pub's kitchen table

large.P3150069.JPG.823c0232e34b65d4046ea

on DH's big lathe.

• Like 1

I love power tools - couldn't live without my Dremel or my Unimat Basic (jigsaw, sander & lathe all in one), and I love my bandsaw too! I have a scrollsaw but I need to start building my confidence & skill with it yet. 

• Like 1

The big boy's workshop: To cut down 4' x 8' sheets of plywood I use a circular saw & straight edge.  Once the pieces are small enough I can use the table saw.  I cut 3/4" thick poplar boards down using the table saw.

Chronologically -

• Mini table saw (cut poplar down, yes even more, to stripwood, cut bevels, dadoes, etc.) (I made a sliding table to do cross-cuts & angles) Buy blades from Thurstons
  • Dremel (clone) w/extension thingy (cut out windows, etc) Cheap bits from Widget Supply
  • Digital calipers (they run on a battery - so its a power tool to me & its a powerful tool) :)
  • Scroll saw
  • Thickness sander (sand stripwood down to exact thicknesses)
  • 5" Disk sander (sand edges - straight & beveled) I should have gotten a 12" sander...
  • 1" Belt sander (rough cut shapes with scroll saw, then sand edges to outline)
  • Trio & lots of bits (cut out openings, make moldings, bevels.) (odd size bit shank tho -3/16")

I think the first three tools are the most important to me...:bear:

80463_R-1.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=265&resryobi_rotary.jpgimage_11339.jpg

64a8dddf-7515-4346-b9fc-c506c29385ef_300th?id=OIP._6fFF8tRSX5dLJOwAawMWwEsDh&pid82889_R.jpg

image_11211.jpgth?id=OIP.RYT-zwLBdhhNdKhP4KWstgEsDh&pid

• Like 1

THHANK YOU, Mike, for the link to Widget!  I got router bits from them, then we got a new 'puter & I lost the link.

Cath, if you can use a sewing machine you can use a scroll saw; the "magic" word with saws is "push stick"

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

...link to Widget!  I got router bits from them, then we got a new 'puter & I lost the link.

Same here Holly...couldn't remember company name:doh: had to google: router bits, dremel, alternate, cheap, whatchamacallit, (widgetmacallit?) :) I'm exhausted...

• Like 2

Thanks so much Mike for all of the info and pictures. My husband has his big power tools/ saws etc. but I'm the kind of person who gets startled by turning on the garbage disposal so I'd like to try to get used to using the smaller power tools that I can keep in my workroom and not have to wait around until he's available to help.  I really like the looks of that mini table saw. I am comfortable with the mini cut off saw I have but that's about my limit right now. 

Do they make a mini scroll saw? Husband has a scroll saw in the garage but it's kind of intimidating to me. 

There are so many different dremels on the market, any recommends for the best one for our hobby? 

4 hours ago, mesp2k said:

80463_R-1.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=265&res

This is the Micro-Lux tilt table saw right? I want this SO BAD lol, from the vids I've seen it looks really fantastic (even has a compartment to connect a vaccum cleaner to collect the dust!). Sadly can't find it outside the US, probably would cost me a ton on import fees too :ermm: But that's the saw table I'd definitelly go for! In the meantime, here's a decent alternative for us UK and EU miniaturists: Proxxon KS230

Proxxon-KS-230.jpg

The tool I end up using the most is a handheld rotary 'all purpose' tool, I've recently upgraded to a Dremel 3000 and can say it was a good investment. I've also got the extension cord which makes it really handy to work inside the dollhouse (my previous tool was a bit smaller bit still too bulky to reach some areas). Rotary tool + extension arm + circle cutter really makes it easy to do most of the cutting/drilling required to build a house. I also have the carving tips, which are really nice to work on furniture or other details: but I think it's easier to do this kind of work with the extension arm connected: the tool itself is a bit heavy and big to hold with one hand and do precision work for a long period of time.

We also have a Dremel Versatip for heat cutting and engraving, I don't use this one so much but it's a great multi-purpose tool as well.

I'm hoping to get a vertical saw sometime soon, I will probably go for the Dremel Motosaw for versatility and easy storage. I don't have a lot of space to have a 'workroom', I usually look for tools that can be easily stored and won't take too much space.

• Like 1

Look up the dremel moto saw.  

It's a type of scroll saw, and I love mine.  Got it at Menards too, and can just stop in if I need new blades.

only issue, they have a guide but you have to order it separate by phone - but I love my moto saw!! 

• Like 2

Also have the harbor freight "table saw" bought it with the coupon too.  It's nice and small and can be moved around easily.  But I have issues finding the right small enough cutting blades 

less than $40 though! 

• Like 1

Karin, calipers are very good at measuring things very precisely. And I guess the digital ones are even more precise. I've never used digital, only the plain. I've got some on my want list... I love calipers, any ki d of rulers really. Speaking of, I found a 18" metal ruler at Hobby Lobby yesterday!! I need one of those.

• Like 1

I have the proxxon  KS230  mini table saw and love it!

I also have the proxxon mini scroll saw and like Holly said it's much like I imagine running a sewing machine would be. Sadly for me, I suck at sewing and scroll sawing... more practice needed. They are also a bit tricky to set up with blades... I've snapped heaps because I've had the tension wrong or something... now that will scare you! :eek:

However, if you have the blade inserted correctly it's not a frightening tool at all.. The speed on the mini ones is not particularly fast and it moves like a sewing machine needle. If I could master the installation of blades, I know I'd use this tool way more.

Ok thanks everyone, really appreciate it.  Excuse my ignorance I feel like this is probably a really dumb question but I'm looking through the micro mark catalog as I'm reading your comments...did answer my own question about whether a mini scroll is available....but in comparing products that both seem to have similar qualities, what is the difference between the bandsaw and the scroll as far as which would be better for mini furniture?  I'd love to have the big workstation that can cut glass, that would be awesome, 

I read in one of my older dollhouse books, like from the 80s that (the then new) dremel moto tool was a true blessing to miniaturists for furniture making. I looked at Home Depot yesterday and didn't see one thought maybe it wasn't made anymore. Thanks for the info!