Favorite power tools?

WyckedWood

Karin, if you can use a sewing machine you can use a scrollsaw.  The biggest difference for me between the bandsaw and the scrollsaw is the tightness of the cuts.  Where I could have cut my dining chair sides in three or four continuous passes on the scrollsaw, on the bandsaw I had to do one directional cut, stop and reposition the piece for the next cut.  The upside for me with the bandsaw is not having to stop and replace the blade!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mesp2k said:

The big boy's workshop: To cut down 4' x 8' sheets of plywood I use a circular saw & straight edge.  Once the pieces are small enough I can use the table saw.  I cut 3/4" thick poplar boards down using the table saw.

Chronologically -

• Mini table saw (cut poplar down, yes even more, to stripwood, cut bevels, dadoes, etc.) (I made a sliding table to do cross-cuts & angles) Buy blades from Thurstons
  • Dremel (clone) w/extension thingy (cut out windows, etc) Cheap bits from Widget Supply
  • Digital calipers (they run on a battery - so its a power tool to me & its a powerful tool) :)
  • Scroll saw
  • Thickness sander (sand stripwood down to exact thicknesses)
  • 5" Disk sander (sand edges - straight & beveled) I should have gotten a 12" sander...
  • 1" Belt sander (rough cut shapes with scroll saw, then sand edges to outline)
  • Trio & lots of bits (cut out openings, make moldings, bevels.) (odd size bit shank tho -3/16")

I think the first three tools are the most important to me...:bear:

Mike, how do you hold or keep flat the large sheets of board to cut them? I just recently bought some clamp bar things to cut large sheets of board but not sure how to keep the boards flat to then cut them. I am guessing saw horses, but wondering if you had any ingenious solutions. 

And thanks to everyone for the tool suggestions. It's very interesting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Ok thanks everyone, really appreciate it.  Excuse my ignorance I feel like this is probably a really dumb question but I'm looking through the micro mark catalog as I'm reading your comments...did answer my own question about whether a mini scroll is available....but in comparing products that both seem to have similar qualities, what is the difference between the bandsaw and the scroll as far as which would be better for mini furniture?  I'd love to have the big workstation that can cut glass, that would be awesome, 

If you want to cut curving shapes then the scroll saw is the better option. 

36 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I have never ordered from micro mart...but they send me a catalog every once in a while.   SO.....tempting 

When they have sales they can't be beat!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Thanks so much Mike for all of the info and pictures. My husband has his big power tools/ saws etc. but I'm the kind of person who gets startled by turning on the garbage disposal so I'd like to try to get used to using the smaller power tools that I can keep in my workroom and not have to wait around until he's available to help.  I really like the looks of that mini table saw. I am comfortable with the mini cut off saw I have but that's about my limit right now. 

Do they make a mini scroll saw? Husband has a scroll saw in the garage but it's kind of intimidating to me.

I wasn't exactly recommending these tools - these are tools I collected over a 10 year period.  Most of them I got at Home Depot because it was so close by - lots of Ryobi stuff.  The others I got at Micromark & Harbor Freight.

I'm not crazy about the big boy's table saw.  Most Home Depots, etc. can cut 4 x 8 sheet products for you.  Or you can buy half or quarter. etc. size sheets.

And for boards & trim there might be a rolling table with a chop saw or hand saws to cut your own at Home Depot. And there's always hubby.

Did you mean band saw - scroll or fret saws, I think are pretty small?

6 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

This is the Micro-Lux tilt table saw right? I want this SO BAD lol, from the vids I've seen it looks really fantastic (even has a compartment to connect a vaccum cleaner to collect the dust!).  Proxxon KS230.

Yes the MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor Table Saw - its the larger table saw of the 2 Micromark sells, I believe.

I think the Proxxon KS230 is similar to the smaller Mircomark Microlux table saw

Proxxon makes the Micromot FET Table Saw very similar to the larger Microlux.

I found in on Amazon UK > click 821034_BB_00_FB.EPS_400.jpg

Might be cheaper on eBay UK??

4 hours ago, smjsome said:

Also have the harbor freight "table saw" bought it with the coupon too.  It's nice and small and can be moved around easily.  But I have issues finding the right small enough cutting blades 

less than $40 though! 

What size blades do you need?   And what size arbor?

Try Thrustons

Jeweler's saws: diameters 1" to 6", kerf (cut thickness) 0.004" - 0.090"

Cutting saws: dia 2" & up, kerf  0.020" - 0.065"

I had to buy a saw adapter from Micromark

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

What is the digital caliper used for? 

As sparklepuppies said, "...calipers are very good at measuring things very precisely..."

I think I got mine at Harbor Freight for like 10 bucks?

49_923_150.jpg

The longer jaws measure the outer size of something - you roll the wheel with your thumb 'til the jaws are snug around a piece of stripwood for instance - the display will show you the decimal measurement (to 3 places) in inches (or some models inches or millimeters - it can be switched between the two.) There's a thumb screw on top to lock it in position.

The shorter jaws measure the inner size of something.

The metal bit sticking out on the right measures depth - like inside of a slot, etc.

I never look at the numbers printed on it :dunno:

It uses a disk type battery.

THE END

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Mike, how do you hold or keep flat the large sheets of board to cut them? I just recently bought some clamp bar things to cut large sheets of board but not sure how to keep the boards flat to then cut them. I am guessing saw horses, but wondering if you had any ingenious solutions. 

Woodsmith Shop TV show just solved this for me - they used a 4 x 8 sheet of insulation foam to lay the plywood on - perfect!

See the details in their plywood tips pdf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

There are so many different dremels on the market, any recommends for the best one for our hobby? 

I forgot to mention, if you get the dremel 3000 another bit I'd recomend is the 670 mini saw attachment. This transforms the tool into a mini saw, but I'd recomend using it with a ruller/guide to cut with precision. With a bit of practise these tools can perform a ton of functions with good precision, but it may seam a bit confusing at the start with so many options and parts to pick from. Checking vids of the tools in action really helps!

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

I also have the proxxon mini scroll saw and like Holly said it's much like I imagine running a sewing machine would be.

I haven't tried this kind of saw yet, that sounds a bit intimidating :s I imagine it must be the best thing to cut odd curved shapes thou, usually I have to either use a drill bit or a small disk for that, I try to keep the lines straight by tracing the shape with a file before cutting, I bet it would be way easier with the right saw.

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

We have a small saw horse, very basic thing that can be folded for storage, cheap too (14 USD) but very handy. Before that I was using two chairs as a makeshift 'saw horse' lol, if you have to use a saw (either manual or electric) it's really good to have confortable surface to work.

1 hour ago, mesp2k said:

Yes the MicroLux Mini Tilt Arbor Table Saw - its the larger table saws of the 2 Micromark sells, I believe.

I think the Proxxon KS230 is similar to the smaller Mircomark Microlux table saw

Proxxon makes the Micromot FET Table Saw very similar to the larger Microlux.

I can find the Proxxon tools at the local stores, never saw the Micromot in action but I think it also has a dust compartment. It doesn't have the 'tilt' function from the Microlux, I think I haven't found any other mini table with that system, it's really nice.

7 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Woodsmith Shop TV show just solved this for me - they used a 4 x 8 sheet of insulation foam to lay the plywood on - perfect!

See the details in their plywood tips pdf

Thanks Mike. Probably not a fantastic option as I would end up with heaps of leftover bits of foam, foam dust everywhere, the cost and trying to get it in country Australia. But I guess I could just set up a piece of board on two saw horses and just rest the boards on top, not actually cutting through the board.

3 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Thanks Mike. Probably not a fantastic option as I would end up with heaps of leftover bits of foam, foam dust everywhere, the cost and trying to get it in country Australia. But I guess I could just set up a piece of board on two saw horses and just rest the boards on top, not actually cutting through the board.

Check this out

etip040220sn-1.gif

20 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

We have a small saw horse, very basic thing that can be folded for storage, cheap too (14 USD) but very handy. Before that I was using two chairs as a makeshift 'saw horse' lol, if you have to use a saw (either manual or electric) it's really good to have confortable surface to work.

Yes, done that too! And not had great results, unsurprisingly!

1 hour ago, smjsome said:

isnt the dremel trio discontinued? I hope not

I have one I have used once (bought it from a forum member) and my husband has stolen 

I hadn't heard that.  I have had mine 2 years or so, and use it not only for minis but other tasks.  I've used it quite a bit on the Cape May.

4 hours ago, smjsome said:

I recommended it to someone, and they told me it was discontinued 

I googled Dremel Trio & found it online, but of course it was either sold out or not available.  Not showing up on Dremel's site either, so probably discontinued.

If anyone really wants one it'll have to be secondhand I guess, :( 

On the upside - all the bits & accessories seemed be available. :)