Favorite power tools?

WyckedWood

I love my new battery-powered Dremel.  It is just as powerful as my old corded one but not nearly as noisy.  I recently purchased the wood-cutting blade, and it has made my life so much easier- no more hand-sawing through wood.

• Like 1

Power tools?? Me??

I shy away from them as my limited experiences have been less than satisfactory. Can't cut a straight line with a jigsaw, the dremell I bought just seems intimidating,  and can't guide it even with drawn lines. 

OK so my cordless drill - I can safely say it's my fav!

• Like 1

Cordless is amazing!  I'm always untangling cords.

And I have both a battery (not very strong) and 2 plug in dremels.  I really like the battery for reaching into stuff, it also is easier on tiny tips for tiny holes.  ... and since I have issues with changing the tips, my husband seems to think each birthday is "buy Sharon a dremel for her favorite bits" day.  I really think he is thinking, (I'd rather not have to keep climbing to the attic to switch Sharon's bits"

oh, and one day he came home with one that attaches to the hose of my shop vac, it's supposedly powered by the suction of the vac.  It's basically useless. 

Oh!  Why do I never think, when I'm asked about your favorite tool in your workspace, the shop vac.  I could not live without mine, it is so nice, just vacumns up all my messes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, smjsome said:

...Why do I never think, when I'm asked about your favorite tool in your workspace, the shop vac.  I could not live without mine, it is so nice, just vacumns up all my messes.

Because we take them for granted.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, disneyfo said:

My favourite power tool is  track saw

Are you aware that this is a forum for miniaturists? A chain saw would be a major overkill for our purpose.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Are you aware that this is a forum for miniaturists? A chain saw would be a major overkill for our purpose.

Agreed. If I wasn’t so terrified of them I could use one for my tree stump fairy house. 

On 4/26/2017, 4:01:41, Khadi said:

I love my new battery-powered Dremel.  It is just as powerful as my old corded one but not nearly as noisy.  I recently purchased the wood-cutting blade, and it has made my life so much easier- no more hand-sawing through wood.

wait - there's a wood sawing blade for the Dremel?  You've changed my life today!  I love power tools!  

2 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

wait - there's a wood sawing blade for the Dremel?  You've changed my life today!  I love power tools!  

Tophatter has had several lots of mini sawblades up for bid.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018, 3:03:58, Qubanqtee said:

It's not as clean a cut as a regular saw, but for basic cuts it's great.  I find it especially helpful for cutting new doors, windows, etc.  It's so much easier than trying to do it with a handsaw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMK8FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

48 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

With any of those round cutting wheels, DO mount your Dremel in a horizontal clamp.

The EZ blades are the safer blades. They don’t break apart. They require a special EZ Lock Mandrel. You can easily use it freehand to cut door and window openings. I use the diamond blade to cut stone and the wood blade is being used to cut the steps on my 4 foot tree stump fairy house.

My sister reorganized her sewing room and gave me a surplus 6-foot table, which is now in the garage under an electrical outlet. I have two sets of shelves to assemble to go on either side of it, and voila! a real workbench of sorts for using power tools other than the Dremel. Right now they are all packed in tool boxes. I look forward to being able to spread them all out and take inventory. If I get really ambitious, I will hang pegboard over the table and get a piece of half-inch plywood cut to size to to protect the table's masonite surface.

This is especially exciting as the craft room is carpeted. Sawdust, ugh!

My favorite - Dewalt full-sized miter saw, with the finest blade I could get. Cuts everything from 2 x 4's to the smallest dollhouse baseboards and trims. I don't seem to need anything else but would love to have a combination belt/disk sander to reduce sanding time.

On 3/4/2018, 1:40:06, Khadi said:

It's not as clean a cut as a regular saw, but for basic cuts it's great.  I find it especially helpful for cutting new doors, windows, etc.  It's so much easier than trying to do it with a handsaw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMK8FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good to know and I actually think I have this wheel in my stash but I had no idea what it was for!  

3 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

good to know and I actually think I have this wheel in my stash but I had no idea what it was for!  

Make sure you have the correct mandrel for it. It won’t fit on standard mandrel (post).

• Like 2