Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need a runny spackle product.. Suggestions?

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I need to spackle over some foam but traditional spackle in Australia is too dry for this job... it just won't stick to it very well... I need something with a consistency more like cake frosting.. :D

(all I could think of to explain consistency lol)... Does anyone have any suggestions? Generic terms would be most helpful rather than brands (but I'll take anything) so I can find an Aussie equivalent. 

Thanks!

Have you tried thinning the spackle with water?

1 person likes this

What about Caulking? There are several different types.

Is it Styrofoam? This stuff?

1 person likes this

Durham's Water Putty is a powder that is mixed with water to any consistency you like.

In Australia its Agnew's Water Putty, Multi-purpose Filler.

Agnews%20Water%20Putty.jpg

People usually add glue to the mix - you can also add water-based paint for some color...

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Have you tried thinning the spackle with water?

Or paint?

1 person likes this

I had some luck thinning too-dry premixed spackle with white glue (Elmer's all-purpose).

1 person likes this

Great suggestions! I knew you guys would come through for me! :D

Extra points to @mesp2k Mike for finding me an Australian product!...

I'm not sure my spackle will mix well with anything but I'll give it a try... also going to try the caulking and I'm off to the hardware to get some of that water putty.. because I have a tree I want to make too and I read on Otterine's blog that she uses it.

:thankyou:

1 person likes this

I love using texture paste from art supply stores. But it's pricey.

1 person likes this

My 1st time using Water Putty -

I made (pancake batter) :eatyum: river rocks:

river+rocks.jpg

Using an eye-dropper I added water to the mix drop by drop 'til I got the consistency I wanted,

also stirred in a bit of white glue. Using the same eye-dropper, I plopped puddles of batter down

on the sample board.  Notice the foil as a disposable container - do not dump this stuff down the drain.

I think Brae [Otterine] asked me about this & thought to use it for her tree bark...  :peace:

4 people like this

2 hours ago, mesp2k said:

My 1st time using Water Putty -

I made (pancake batter) :eatyum: river rocks:

river+rocks.jpg

Using an eye-dropper I added water to the mix drop by drop 'til I got the consistency I wanted,

also stirred in a bit of white glue. Using the same eye-dropper, I plopped puddles of batter down

on the sample board.  Notice the foil as a disposable container - do not dump this stuff down the drain.

I think Brae [Otterine] asked me about this & thought to use it for her tree bark...  :peace:

Those (pancake) river rock tiles are adorable :D

... Such a great idea! 

But now I want pancakes!:chef:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

But now I want pancakes!:chef:

...will they be ready in about 17 hours? Oh an' I'll need a ride from the airport.  :plane: 

2 people like this

I've never used spackle, this has got me intrigued and perhaps I will give it a try. Sorry for the noob question, but if I understood the diference between spackle and other plaster products is that 'glue' is added to the mix? Can it be sanded when dry? I am trying to think of an alternative to using foam/celulose based stuff for my ceillings, not sure if I should try this. :hmm:

I would try making a thick chalk paint, kill 2 birds with one stone.  the recipe i use for furniture is 2 cups latex paint to 2 tablespoons plaster to 1 tbsp water.. if you upped the plaster to maybe 4 and a bit more water.. it should work.  the paint will thicken, but slowly, so it will give you time to work with it.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I've never used spackle, this has got me intrigued and perhaps I will give it a try. Sorry for the noob question, but if I understood the diference between spackle and other plaster products is that 'glue' is added to the mix? Can it be sanded when dry? I am trying to think of an alternative to using foam/celulose based stuff for my ceillings, not sure if I should try this. :hmm:

Yes, Ashley, you can sand spackle when it is THOROUGHLY dry.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Yes, Ashley, you can sand spackle when it is THOROUGHLY dry.

Thanks I went and bought a small bucket today, will try on a spare piece of wood first. Package says dry time 24-48 hours, to be safe I'll leave it for 2 days before sanding.