Cosplay fun!

SewMini

I am in full gloat mode so I apologize in advance hehe. I've been away for a bit partially because of travel but also because my daughter and I went to C2E2 which is a HUGE comic con here in Chicago. My profile name is SewMini because sewing is my other passion and I mostly do cosplay. My daughter and I LOVE to cosplay and truly love being a part of this wonderful, creative community. Yesterday I got to see the Force Awakens Kylo Ren I made for my friend in person for the first time after shipping it off last October. I admittedly got a bit misty-eyed just because it's the biggest project I've ever worked on and to see it in person was just a joy. In total it consists of two sets of pleated sleeves, a sleeveless pleated tunic, a floor length double guaze mid-coat, a surcoat made from a specialty double weave tweed, the hood/caplet, elbow length gloves and boot covers. WHEW! Every piece is a fully functional garment so no Velcro was used for fasteners. It's tough to see but sleeve shirt and sleeveless tunic are made of hand pleated heavy duck canvas which took A LIFETIME to pleat, edge with piping and set in the zippers (some by hand). Every layer screen accurate thanks to studying over 100 screen shots and I even built in zippers that he can undo to replicate the scene after he gets slashed at the end of the movie. In quite possibly the weirdest picture at con, I got a snap of him and I in front of the C2E2 sign in full costume. I'm wearing my Phyllis Nefler of Troop Beverly Hills fame. I made this costume 2 years ago for con and am continually amazed at how many people know it since Troop Beverly Hills is a bit of a cult classic. If you've not seen it do find the time to! It's a great movie. Pardon the sandals but con is really hard on the feet!

18033546_10158485903860398_2185553185988

Today I debuted my "Ms. Hufflepuff" Hogwarts Pageant cosplay which was so much fun. I'm a giant Harry Potter nerd and a Hufflepuff through and through.  I actually made this gown for a fashion show last year but turned it into a cosplay for C2E2 this year since I needed two costumes in a pinch. Admittedly when I made it I was going for a big couture style final piece for my fashion show but when I finished it, I stepped back and said "OMG I made a Hufflepuff gown" oh well! I finally found a practical use for it. The mascot of House Hufflepuff is the fierce badger thus the black and white hair and badger-esque make-up. :) 

18057817_10158488615110398_2551452971439

17952747_10158488967600398_7358023344958

Maya did cosplay both days as well but her costumes were thrifted so I didn't make those. I've made quite a few cosplays for her in the past but she wanted to do more modern characters for this con. Next con. though, I'm making her costume.

• Like 4

I actually love the Hufflepuff one because I can still walk around in full cosplay but its not TOO big and its not a recognizable character. People flip out over Phyllis just because no one ever cosplays her but the movie has a huge cult following. If you love it you reeeeeeeaaaaallllly love it and Shelley Long owns that movie lol i get asked for pics fairly often in her.

Sounds so much fun, and your costumes are great - but I have no idea who any of those characters are..... I have a closet full of fabrics for costumes on the drawing board. I hope one day to get to making them, but nowhere I could wear them here. I need a chateau....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly working on a Steampunk cosplay to wear to Dragoncon in Atlanta - I've always loved costumes, but being a plus sized woman, I have trouble finding nice and/or affordable costumes, so I've been making my own - however with 5 kids, teaching full time, minis, and life in general, it is slow going, but it is going.  

• 3 months later...

Here are some snaps of my most recently cosplay: a pair of pants and faux boots for my friend to cosplay Peter "Starlord" Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Sadly, I really think this is going to be my last costume. They are just so time consuming and I'd rather do things like see my family, work on the Casa and, you know, see the light of day lol.

21148432_10159142161325398_550429424_n.jpg

21208372_10159142161285398_771872710_n.jpg

21175210_10159140953160398_1044054143_n.jpg

• Like 1