Putting on the shakes?

Mineejv

I'm putting my shakes on the roof. My instructions say to measure 11/4" up from the bottom of the gables,draw a line parallel with the bottom edge. Then draw 1" intervals the rest of the up. The shakes are 11/8",that leaves a 1/8" space. Am I missing something?

I would lay one of the shakes so that one short edge is even with the bottom edge of one side of the roof and draw a line along the top, then do the same thing at the other side of the roof, and connect those lines with a line across the roof; then draw the rest of your lines 1" (or 7/8" if they're only 1 1/8" long) apart.  For a more realistic appearance you may want to lay a 1/4" wide strip of 1/8" thick strip wood along the bottom edge of the roof to glue the bottoms of the first course of shakes.

• Like 1

Thinking about this it's probably to get your other lines to overhang the first row.. So first row shake bottom butts up to the edge of the eave and covers you first drawn line, then all other rows, top of shake lines up with the line and overhangs the shakes below by just a smidgen. .

Thanks you all.  I think I'm getting a clear picture of what to do,not looking forward to doing it though. I'm kind of a perfectionist...

So it's going to take me a long....long...time to do the roof ! I started to paint them before I put them on, it's just taking to long...so I'm going to put them on and then paint them. I Think that might be faster. There's 10pages of instructions and there not very helpful.

Sable; There is mostly rectangle and less octagon shakes. Dose that matter?   Hope your feeling better. 

Once you hit your groove I think you will find shingling rather relaxing; I tend to hit a meditative state somewhere between the second and third row. If you're waiting until they are on the roof to paint them you will want to paint each row before laying the next, because otherwise you will never get that brushload of paint all the way up under the preceding rows, and that would drive the perfectionist in me totally nutzoid (I made that mistake with the Laurel, waiting until all the shingles were on to wash them and found the glue drips along with the wash not reaching all the way up under the overlap to tint the row beneath; I donated it anyway!).

Hadn't thought of that if I'm going to paint them when there on. That's  only about 1'000 + -.......to paint.... 1...by 1.....I might be done by X-Mass. Will it be better to do it now or can I wait until it's almost done? Dose it matter?

I've successfully painted a shingled roof by using a fairly stiff bristle brush by pushing the paint up under the overlapped bits and scrubbing it into the cracks between the shingles to get the edges that show. It takes a bit of doing, and once it's dry you may need to do some touch-ups. One thing you may want to do, though, is to paint the roof pieces the color that you will be painting the shingles, so the bits that show through won't be a glaring contrast. It's hard to poke the paint down into those tiny openings.

All in all, I think Holly's idea of painting one row at a time as you go will help soothe your perfectionist gene and cut down on the assembly time considerably.