Victorian Slum House PBS

Mid-life madness

I just received an email about a new series that PBS is broadcasting in May named Victorian Slum House.

I like watching period dramas mainly because of the designs of the houses, clothing etc...and the drama LOL! This one is a reality show and I thought perhaps other mini-lovers might be interested as well and possibly that the show  might spark ideas for future minis.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, me-barbie said:

While I would not want to make a slum mini, even for historical purposes, it's been a fascinating series!

No slum minis for me as well, but I  do enjoy the historical perspective of this show. I am  enjoying the show too. PBS did a show very similar named Frontier House years ago.

I like period dramas, and since this show is a realistic look at the time period I thought it might spark ideas as to furnishings etc.

After all some People do make apocalyptic miniatures ???

I remember Frontier House. What a memory you have, Carrie! I think that was done back in the 80s. They also did an 1800's London Victorian House and a 1620s early Colonial setting as well and maybe one more that I can't think of right now. They would get some families and people to volunteer and they'd spend - what, 3 months or more in the houses? What amazed me with Frontier House was all the wood that had to be chopped for heat during the winter.

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

No slum minis for me as well, but I  do enjoy the historical perspective of this show. I am  enjoying the show too. PBS did a show very similar named Frontier House years ago.

I like period dramas, and since this show is a realistic look at the time period I thought it might spark ideas as to furnishings etc.

After all some People do make apocalyptic miniatures ???

Sounds interesting to me. I love the Kate Morton book 'The Forgotten Garden' and sometimes think about recreating some of the things from it, including the room she lived in with her brother for a bit - it was based in the Victorian era (or might've been Edwardian or thereabouts) and they lived in poverty.

The Great American Dollhouse Museum in Danville, Kentucky, has an other-side-of-the-tracks display as part of its interconnected neighborhoods. It is fascinating for its detail. Not the charm of upscale Victorian, yet it presents a valid segment of history. There's a reason for the reluctance to recreate this era as expressed above. We control the world in which our creations exist, so it's understandable that we'd want our little people to live good, comfortable lives as we tell their stories. 

BBC also did an Edwardian one: Manor House (which you can both see on YouTube and buy on DVD). My house is Edwardian (of a family with enough money to have pretensions! :bigwink:).

Manor House is quite interesting as well, although one does wonder what the volunteers for the downstairs thought they would be doing....they do not cope well with the sheer hard work and lack of 21st century worker's rights.