Stained Glass

angt29

I would like to add a 'stained glass' window to one of my windows in my house.  I have seen some sticker sheet types of things, but nothing that has really made me want to buy it.  What are some ideas for doing this, or is there a product I am missing?  Thank you. 

I'm somewhat open, but not something that is very flowery.  My house is green, so probably something with some green in it with some nice accent colors.  I have seen some handmade ones, and I *think* I could do it if I followed a template for straight lines, but I'm wondering what I would use to make the outline.  I thought of a puffy paint type of thing, but it seems that would be hard to get nice even, thin lines.  You know how suddenly a glob will come out at once?  I'm not sure what people use on the ones I see.  I wonder if they use glass paint to fill in the design? 

I am replacing the plastic sheet windows that came with my house with my own window frames and I am cutting plexiglass (the kind the dollhouse stores sell) to fit into them.  So, I have to have a specific size to fit in there.  I have seen pre-made stained glass, but they all seem to fit a specific product.

Oh, I also saw a book on Amazon that has templates printed on transparent paper (maybe something like vellum?) that you color in yourself.  Those would be easy to fit to size, and customize for color.  But I'm not sure what the final product will look like, and it comes with a lot I probably won't use.

I've used Gallery Glass to create stain glass effects. They make a Liquid Leading to use with it. I've never mastered that part. I've used premade strips called Redi lead put out by the same company - Plaid. You can find it in craft stores or online. I lay the image underneath and set the lead lines first. Let that dry and then float on the color. There is learning curve to it so make a few practice sheets first.

That Gallery Glass product looks really cool, and has the exact effect I want to produce.  I'm going to try the liquid lead stuff first and I'll practice quite a bit, so we'll see if I can make it work.  I did look at the strips as well, which seem like a good second option.  Do you think it will go on the plexiglass as well as glass? Thank you for sharing that product with me! 

It can go on either glass or plexi. I just used an acrylic sheet and cut it to size. The sheets come in different thicknesses. You want it sturdy enough to not bow once installed but having it on the thinner side (rather than glass thickness) helps with making your window trims easier.

You can look around for some tutorials, this is one that I know of. But it's just for the diamond Tudor type look. The diamonds could be colored in with the gallery glass, that's what I do. The clear gallery glass gives an old glass look that's kinda neat. I use that technique a lot.  I know people use the lead tape (mentioned in tutorial) to do curves beautifully but I personally have a really hard time getting it to curve. It obviously can be done though. 

http://glorioustwelfth.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-dollhouse-miniature-lead.html

• Like 1

Thank you all for the wonderful and creative ideas!

Glad to hear that the products will work fine on the acrylic.  Susie, I love those patterns, and will definitely need one, so those will be very helpful. 

Karen, those diamond windows look awesome.  I think I'm going to do a colored stained glass on one of the front windows, and try the diamond, clear panes on the top portion of a triple panel window on the side of the house.  The woman in that tutorial used that 'Thick' product in the jar.  I love the way the old glass looks.  So, you've used the clear Gallery Glass product to achieve a similar look?

You guys gave me much better ideas than I would have found on my own.

• Like 1

When I was building the Arthur for the first-ever Team Build the transparency for the bathroom window was damaged & unusable, so I found a piece of flat clear plastic packaging material (blister pack) that would fit, I drew a cartoon and taped the piece of plastic over it.  I tried Liquid Lead for my lead lines, which SO did not work for me! so I mixed a little white into my black acrylic paint from the tubes (I use acrylic paints in the tubes) and a liner brush to draw my lines; MUCH better! and filled in the colors with acrylics I made transparent with the gel medium:

blog-13-1115775223.jpg

Very creative!  You must be very good at finding uses for things.  I am wondering about my ability to draw the lines on as well, so we shall see.  I can picture them being very uneven.  If they are, I'm only out five bucks, I guess.  As Karin mentioned, I can also picture myself getting frustrated with the tape, though.  I guess it will be trial and error.

This looks interesting...from Angie Scarr food artist...uses a 3D pen to do the lead lines for stained glass...looks like she found other mini uses for the 3D pen too if you look at her other videos. (She says early in the vid 3D "printer" but she means 3D pen...I know this because I read description and watched the other videos where she's using the 3D pen.

https://youtu.be/AQS0Xwgpd00

• Like 1

I use gallery glass on clear plastic. For the lead lines, I cut thin strips from adhesive backed lead tape. I place my clear plastic over a printed version of my design so I can work from a template. I like the texture & realism you get with this method, but printing a design on clear transparency sheets is a nice alternative. 

PhotoGrid_1493384154276.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Those are gorgeous Ericka, are they both mini? They look life size...beautiful. 

Thanks! Yes, they're both mini. The left window is one of a set of 3 for my Alison Jr. The right window was the first one I made so I just used a clear transparency sheet for the experiment. I now use thin, rigid acrylic/plexiglass sheets from hobby lobby. It supports the weight and holds shape better than the transparency sheets. 

• Like 1

I use those acrylic type plastic windows too, but I just do a diamond pattern with my lead tape, I can never get the curves to look good. Yours are fantastic. I need to practice more, I'd love to be able to get more intricate shapes. 

13 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I use those acrylic type plastic windows too, but I just do a diamond pattern with my lead tape, I can never get the curves to look good. Yours are fantastic. I need to practice more, I'd love to be able to get more intricate shapes. 

I use 3M lead tape, I would have to check on the thickness. I've read that the lead golf tape is difficult to make curves with. I cut it in very thin strips and that keeps it flexible for curves. Still takes a lot of time and patience. 

Thanks for all the helpful links!

Wow, Ericka, those are amazing!  I know for sure I would never be able to make curved lines like that look that good.  The Gallery Glass really does give it a very nice texture, and it turns out great on the acrylic sheets.  I was impressed with how well the acrylic scores and breaks.  I didn't think it would be so easy to break it into smaller pieces.  Thanks for posting those pictures.  It's very inspiring, and it's totally worth it to do it myself and make exactly what I want.

17 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

This looks interesting...from Angie Scarr food artist...uses a 3D pen to do the lead lines for stained glass...looks like she found other mini uses for the 3D pen too if you look at her other videos. (She says early in the vid 3D "printer" but she means 3D pen...I know this because I read description and watched the other videos where she's using the 3D pen.

https://youtu.be/AQS0Xwgpd00

I watched her by accident the other night.  3d pen in on my want list now.

• Like 2