Newbie Questions--Arthur Kit

Marcy

I'm really new to dollhouse building but not new to crafting.  I can usually make almost anything.  My one (and wish only) flaw, I analyze everything before starting.  I've tried several times to find answers to these questions but I don't think I'm very good at navigating the forum yet. I apologize if there is a place to find these answers...I've tried.

*Prime first, build first?  I understand I must prime the wood before painting.  But I have read some people like to prime the pieces before they even take them out of the sheets.  I've heard others say they dry build first (and I assume before priming) but how many pieces do you actually put together?  Obviously not the fancy details but all of the big pieces?  Including the roof?

*What kind of primer and paint is best?  I've read some people only use paint used in houses...and others say acrylic is good.  Then again, I've also read where acrylic shouldn't be used.  I even saw where one person used Kilz primer.  With so many differing opinions, I really don't know what to buy.

*I've already bought Aleen's wood glue...it is yellow.  I thought it was white.  Should I use it?  Should I not?  I do have Aleen's white glue too...just because I craft. :)

*I read where I should label each piece...so many pieces!  How do I do that?  Do I read through the directions to get the name of the pieces?  I've labeled the sheets but some sheets have already started to come apart.  I'm kind of worried about how to organize the pieces so I can find them again.  

Sorry...I usually try to research on my own but with so many conflicting reports, and of course my over-analyzing, I'm wondering what I need to do first with my kit.  Any help will be so appreciated and hopefully, I can return the favor some day.  Thank you!

PS...Do you record each step with a photograph?  I've seen a lot of people doing that but I don't have a blog, but it might be fun just for me.  Are there any tips of what I should be photographing if I do decide to make that pictorial journal?  I can just see me saying to myself, "I wish I would have taken a picture of that!" :D  Over-Analyzer here...

Welcome, Marlyce. I think you're in the right crowd. :p

I like to prime after I've removed the pieces and dry-fit them, so that I can avoid getting primer where glue needs to be. I like to use Kilz water-based (easier to sand) for large pieces, acrylic for smaller, and I do like to sand well after priming for a smooth finish. I prime where I'm going to wallpaper.

I do like wood glue, colored or not, for main structural joints. I keep cloth scraps handy so I can wipe down excess glue after the joint is in place.

I label larger pieces-- for many smaller pieces, I'll put them in a plastic container to keep them separate and maybe label one of them.

I don't photograph everything-- just milestone steps or particular things I want to remember, or areas that will be hard to see when assembly is complete. I've taken to photographing my supply labels (scrapbook papers, paints, etc) for reference.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcy said:

I'm really new to dollhouse building but not new to crafting.  I can usually make almost anything.  My one (and wish only) flaw, I analyze everything before starting.  I've tried several times to find answers to these questions but I don't think I'm very good at navigating the forum yet. I apologize if there is a place to find these answers...I've tried.

*Prime first, build first?  I understand I must prime the wood before painting.  But I have read some people like to prime the pieces before they even take them out of the sheets.  I've heard others say they dry build first (and I assume before priming) but how many pieces do you actually put together?  Obviously not the fancy details but all of the big pieces?  Including the roof?

*What kind of primer and paint is best?  I've read some people only use paint used in houses...and others say acrylic is good.  Then again, I've also read where acrylic shouldn't be used.  I even saw where one person used Kilz primer.  With so many differing opinions, I really don't know what to buy.

*I've already bought Aleen's wood glue...it is yellow.  I thought it was white.  Should I use it?  Should I not?  I do have Aleen's white glue too...just because I craft. :)

*I read where I should label each piece...so many pieces!  How do I do that?  Do I read through the directions to get the name of the pieces?  I've labeled the sheets but some sheets have already started to come apart.  I'm kind of worried about how to organize the pieces so I can find them again.  

Sorry...I usually try to research on my own but with so many conflicting reports, and of course my over-analyzing, I'm wondering what I need to do first with my kit.  Any help will be so appreciated and hopefully, I can return the favor some day.  Thank you!

PS...Do you record each step with a photograph?  I've seen a lot of people doing that but I don't have a blog, but it might be fun just for me.  Are there any tips of what I should be photographing if I do decide to make that pictorial journal?  I can just see me saying to myself, "I wish I would have taken a picture of that!" :D  Over-Analyzer here...

When I open the box I remove the clear acetate sheet of window & door inserts and the Warm-Up sheet and put the acetate sheet between the pages of the Warm-Up sheet nd lay it beside the box.  Next I remove the instructions sheet and read through it and lay it on top of the Warm-Up sheet.  Next I remove the schematics sheet and look it over, then I take the plywood sheets and go over the number on each one with a black Sharpie marker.  I lay them face down in the box lid as I check each one with the schematics sheet: any small pieces that try to fall out I put back in & slap a piece of masking tape (or painter's tape) across the back to keep it with its sheet until I need it.  Once I see that all the sheets and pieces compare with the schematics sheet, I put the ox bottom over the pile o sheets in the lid and turn the whole mess back right side up.  then I pick up the schematics in one hand and the instructions in the other and read through the instructions again, this time finding the pieces on the schematics.  I then lay the schematics, the instructions and the Warm-Up sheet back in the box and go find my utility knife, glue, primer, etc.  If the house has not begun by now to talk to me I then o back in the house to eat a piece of chocolate or fix a stiff drink of an adult beverage and await communication; usually the house has already begun to chat, or I wouldn't have it.

I dry fit the shell with painters tape and trace along where pieces join along an edge to be glued.  When I take the house back apart I mask off the areas I'll glue with tape or stain.  Then I prime the pieces won't stain; I like to use flat interior white latex paint to prime with.  I can mix acrylic paints from the tube with the interior latex paint to get custom colors.  I also like the little sample paint jars I get from the hardware store.  I use wood glue to glue wood to wood.  I use clear-drying white 'Elmer's all-purpose glue to glue the acetate inserts.  Once I thought it would save time to prime the pieces before I punched them out.  Trust me, you don't want to do that!

Before my pacemaker I was building houses quite rapidly, and I built a fair few of them, so I left my perfectionist frets behind me, learned 1. to make test samples if I was skittish about trying something new and 2. there is no catastrophic mess-up that cannot be spackled over, covered with wainscots or other trim, or bashed to look like something awesomely unique.  My energy levels bottomed out when I got the first pacer, and the insurance waits until one is FTD to replace the old battery; so I build more slowly and I spend more time making things to put into the houses.  There is no one "right" way to build a dollhouse.  Go with what works for you. 
There is no law against having more than one.

• Like 3

Hi Marlyce,

I'm in the process of my first build too.

~ I wrote the sheet number(in pencil) on every piece that corresponded to the sheet. If the piece was already out of the sheet or looked as if it would come out easily , I put them in zip-lock bags and wrote on the outside of the bag what sheet number they were from. (The shingles were all over the box) So I have about 7 bags total

~ then I removed the main building structures to do the dry fit.

I didn't prime until it was partially  complete and glued together together. (I don't know if this good or bad, but it seems okay)  None of the trim etc is on, or widows etc.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

• Like 1

For primer I have used the least expensive white,  white interior base paint.  Most of my color paint is the sample jars from Lowe's and home depot.  I'm an "oops" shopper.   I don't think I've ever actually labeled much.  I keep the pieces in the sheets for as long as possible.   Pictures? ? When I remember to.  But just for me mist of the time.

• Like 1

There are conflicting, or differing answers because there are many ways to do it, just different peoples thought processes not necessarily better than your own. It's just wood so I can't imagine why anyone would say not to use acrylic paint. Wood glue...tacky glue both work fine. Ziplock bags are great for organizing. I basically don't glue anything until I have to.  Windows, etc can be finished and propped in place with tacky wax until it seems they won't get in your way if you glue them. Wood filler works good on the windows (frames) then sand for a smooth paintable surface. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎37‎:‎54‎, WyckedWood said:

There are conflicting, or differing answers because there are many ways to do it, just different peoples thought processes not necessarily better than your own. It's just wood so I can't imagine why anyone would say not to use acrylic paint. Wood glue...tacky glue both work fine. Ziplock bags are great for organizing. I basically don't glue anything until I have to.  Windows, etc can be finished and propped in place with tacky wax until it seems they won't get in your way if you glue them. Wood filler works good on the windows (frames) then sand for a smooth paintable surface. 

When we built & blogged the Magnolia for the Team Magnolia build:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&id=59 I was asked to build the bare, undecorated kit as it came from the box.  Since that isn't what the house wanted I went ahead and glued the shell and placed the windows doors, etc on with poster putty and slid the stairs in for the photos, since I normally never install windows or doors until after I finish decorating everything else.  After I finished my part of the blog I took off the windows and door and took out the stairs, finished them properly and set them side whilst I decorated the rest of it.  Because it was already glued together and because it wanted to be a Florida Cracker house I did the interior walls in beadboard, which made things interesting...

KathieB's photos:  the master bedroomKathieB's Maggie photos:  The living room

• Like 1

Oh, thank you all so much!  You have been very helpful!  Holly, you must have taken an hour to write those details!  I did do a dry build but some of the tabs aren't staying because I used blue painter's tape.  It's not very strong and many pieces have pulled away.  I'm wondering if I start to glue and use squares if it will mess up the tabs for later on?  Anyway, I'm so anxious to get started.  I just didn't choose a very good time to catch a flu-type bug! :(  I've had to put everything on hold until I'm a bit stronger.  Thank you for the encouragement, the suggestions, the pictures.  I'm glad I found this forum!  I'll try to take pictures and post to let you know how things are progressing.  This is my first...of the partial dry build.  I can't figure out how to put on the porch roof...or the porch yet.  So the house will sit there a few more days until I can concentrate a little better.

Oh, and Holly, the house started talking to me.  At first it wanted to be an old Victorian family's home.  Then I saw a Santa's workshop...and Christmas came into the picture.  So I saw the family with the house decorated for Christmas.  Then I saw an old fashion Christmas shop.  I think the house keeps saying Christmas...now I just need to pinpoint what view of Christmas.

Thank you again!  

04-29-17 Arthur DH.jpg

04-29-17 Arthur DH front.jpg

I've replied to so many "how do I get started?" posts that it goes quick.  Whilst dry-fitting I whittle tabs & slots for a more perfect fit, so that when it's time to glue it goes together nicely.  I also use the tape to hold the edges together until the glue dries, although I have also been known to pop a few heavy-duty staples along the edges to help hold them together.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I've replied to so many "how do I get started?" posts that it goes quick.  Whilst dry-fitting I whittle tabs & slots for a more perfect fit, so that when it's time to glue it goes together nicely.  I also use the tape to hold the edges together until the glue dries, although I have also been known to pop a few heavy-duty staples along the edges to help hold them together.

Do you ever square it up with squares?  I just don't want to mess up the tabs later on.  If I square up the first glued walls, it should be ok for the rest of the house, right?  I'm also wondering about sanding.  When everyone says to sand before gluing together, I first pictured sanding the walls to be able to paint them later.  But then, after doing the dry build (GREAT advice!), I realized the edges, where the glue goes, needs to be sanded too!  The kit came with one little square of sandpaper but it doesn't say the grit size.  So now I need to get more sandpaper but I probably should get different sized grit.  What size do you usually use?  

DH (aka the Hubs) made us a sanding block out of scraps of wood several years ago, so as one piece of sandpaper goes bald I pop out the old staples with a flathead screwdriver and cut the piece of sandpaper that comes with the kit to size and staple it on the sanding block.  I use emery boards to sand fiddly bits of trim.  When I use sandpaper from my stash it's usually 100-1200 grit, because that's what I have the most of.  I also use sandpaper to make bricks:

gallery_8_151_53121.jpg

& shingles:

large.56d858872c42b_theUSAGeneralStore.j

Wow...nice!  Thank you!  How did you make bricks?  Are the red ones in the top picture made from sandpaper?  Did you have red sandpaper in several shades? Did you paint them?  what a great idea!

Not sure if this is what you mean by "squaring it up", but I often glue wood blocks or scrap wood into the underside of the foundation to help keep it square, and then masking tape and clamps to keep the walls on while the glue dries. I use a lot of wood glue glopped up in the corners. It'll be covered up by wallpaper and flooring, etc., so it doesn't matter if it's yellow.

Take a look at the Arthur team build to see pictures that might help as you build yours: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&id=7&sortby=entry_date&sortdirection=desc&page=1

I think those display in reverse order so you need to go to the last page to start at the beginning.

3 hours ago, Marcy said:

Wow...nice!  Thank you!  How did you make bricks?  Are the red ones in the top picture made from sandpaper?  Did you have red sandpaper in several shades? Did you paint them?  what a great idea!

I describe all about making the "bricks" from sandpaper in my part of the Team Glencroft blog on page 2:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&id=9&page=2  I colored sheets of 240-grit sandpaper with chalk pastels, rubbing each sheet with two different color chalks per sheet:

blog-241-1125282419.jpg

I had already drawn cutting lines on the back of each sheet, so after I got them colored I cut them out:

blog-241-1125282508.jpg

until I had bazillions of little sandpaper rectangles.  After I got them on the house the hubs said the color was too loud, so I made a wash of light gray paint that toned them down nicely.

WOW!  I would have never thought of adding chalk to sand paper...or painting it--especially with a wash.  I would be too afraid the grit would come off! :)  It's beautiful and a lot of work!  But it is the kind of work that is quite satisfying once it is done, isn't it?  

1 hour ago, Marcy said:

...It's beautiful and a lot of work!  But it is the kind of work that is quite satisfying once it is done, isn't it?  

It's why we do it, isn't it?   BTW, if you dip your brush into the wash and wipe it along the edge of the cup you mixed your wash in, the brush isn't so loaded with water that you need to worry about the grit coming off the sandpaper.  I have been playing with the properties of various art materials for a lot of years and still discovering new things.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017, 5:37:54, WyckedWood said:

When I first started teaching, I did everything the way my mentor teacher and another teacher suggested until I felt comfortable being me. I learned a lot of valuable things that way and then had the confidence to go my own way, as long as the students learned. I think this can be applied to working on our houses - in the beginning, or when I'm doing some technique for the first time, I follow the instructions/advice, then I learn enough to start branching out on my own.

• Like 2