Lighting

Beulah

I'm in the midst of it for the first time using tape wire. So far the most difficult thing is nailing the teeny brads in place. I had to order more because I dropped them or bent them. I did the battery operated LED lights in my room box. Those are pretty straight forward and I think they were good for a small project. There is a tutorial on this site and You tube videos out there. Research it and see if it something you might want to attempt. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people swear by the tapewire system.. but I just couldn't get my head around it... I've decided to go with round wire because that's what makes sense to me... you just need to have a look at all the options and then decide on the what you think is the easiest for you. Don't be afraid of it, the worst that can happen is it won't work first time... and you can always try try again. :D

Carrie,

Instead of using brads I think it's a lot easier and more stable connection if you use the eyelets instead.  I used the brads when I first started working on the Beacon Hill and had the same trouble you are having.  I watched a youtube video that made it so much simpler to wire.  Not sure if anyone else uses this method, but so far it's worked for me. Instead of using regular tape over the connection I am using black electrical tape.  This could be a problem if you use light colored wallpaper, but I make most of my connections on the floor, and then put my flooring on top of the connections.

I tried to put the url in here, but it keeps showing up as a video.  On youtube search for "How to Electrify a Dollhouse - Updated.  It's by Dollhouses, Trains and more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

Carrie,

Instead of using brads I think it's a lot easier and more stable connection if you use the eyelets instead.  I used the brads when I first started working on the Beacon Hill and had the same trouble you are having.  I watched a youtube video that made it so much simpler to wire.  Not sure if anyone else uses this method, but so far it's worked for me. Instead of using regular tape over the connection I am using black electrical tape.  This could be a problem if you use light colored wallpaper, but I make most of my connections on the floor, and then put my flooring on top of the connections.

I tried to put the url in here, but it keeps showing up as a video.  On youtube search for "How to Electrify a Dollhouse - Updated.  It's by Dollhouses, Trains and more.

Thank you Colleen. It is definitely tedious. I wish there was some sort of tool, like a staple gun, that would pop the brads in easily.

I agree on the eyelets.  There is a tool to help you place the brads, but even still I drop them half the time, and I do find the eyelets are more stable.  I have found that if I drill pilot holes for them, then put the tape over the holes and pound the eyelets in, then cover with electrical tape, that works pretty well.  The half-scale bungalow is actually a pretty simple straightforward house to wire, and it doesn't take a lot of tape.  You might want to take the plunge with this one.  :)  

• Like 2

I'll be honest. I had 0 clue what I was doing when I started making lights. I just went for the gusto and if I messed up I was only out a few bucks. I say have at it and have fun! Your first tries may look like the thing from the black lagoon but that's ok! you've learned new skills and learned what doesn't work. Even learning what doesn't work is valuable information.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I have found that if I drill pilot holes for them, then put the tape over the holes and pound the eyelets in, then cover with electrical tape, that works pretty well.

Now there's a great idea! I'm going to have to do this when I put my living room lights in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

I agree on the eyelets.  There is a tool to help you place the brads, but even still I drop them half the time, and I do find the eyelets are more stable.  I have found that if I drill pilot holes for them, then put the tape over the holes and pound the eyelets in, then cover with electrical tape, that works pretty well.  The half-scale bungalow is actually a pretty simple straightforward house to wire, and it doesn't take a lot of tape.  You might want to take the plunge with this one.  :)  

Your method makes total sense!  My initial problem was that my pilot holes were too big, and the copper wire was not making contact with the brads. I made the hole big and deep because the brads kept bending. LOL!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mid-life madness said:

My initial problem was that my pilot holes were too big, and the copper wire was not making contact with the brads.

Yep.  That was the problem I had.  By the time I'd made a hole big enough to get the eyelet in, it wouldn't make contact with the tape.  This helped solve the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Sable said:

he tool is called the Bam Bam. Works for large grommets/eyelets which I prefer anyway.  

Now that sounds like an awesome tool.  Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

Oh gosh.  I have already started wallpapering.   Maybe when I am done this house I'll go back to my first house the Beachside bungalow.  There is no paper on it.  Thanks everyone.