Half scale siding/clapboard

aussieguy84

Hi Everyone,

The measurements on clapboard/siding are doing my head in! I've look and got the old trusty tape measure out but I'm just as confused as ever. LOL I read a topic on here about 6 months ago regarding this same issues but now I can't find it. : - (

SOS half scale peeps!

Can anyone advise the sizing for half scale chapboard/siding and where you bought it from? Also - I'm going to need so finishes to hide the corners where my outside walls meet and where my roof joins. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers : - )

I use 1/4 inch clapboard siding sheets and basswood corner trim for my half scale (1:24) houses. You can simulate corner trim with two straight trim pieces overlapped at the edge. MicroMark http://www.micromark.com/hobby-supplies/wood carries a lot of these supplies, but there are other suppliers too.

I've experimented a lot with heavy card stock too. On the Chanticleer I've used card stock for the roof trim pieces. On the White Rose I used scrapbook trims for the shingles. You could cut strips to use as clapboard. Just make them slightly wider that 1/4 inch to allow for the overlap. :D

• Like 1

For half scale anything close to 1/4 of an inch wide will work, are you looking for strips or sheets?

I used sheets on mine, they are very easy to apply evenly if you are going for the horizontal siding with slight overlap. I don't remember where I bought them from, somewhere in the uk, for the Farfield I used around 3 sheets per wall (vertically) if I'm not mistaken. They look something like this:

CLA75465.jpg

• Like 1

I used 1/4 inch as well.  Mine came in long sheets, like this: http://www.manchesterwoodworks.com/lap-siding-14-basswood-24-long-1pc-houseworks-124-scale-7035-miniature?search=siding   I got mine at a local hardware store that has a large section for model railroads (1/2 scale is also roughly G scale).  I think I used 6 total on the Fairfield, although I also used fish-scale strips on the outside of the attic walls, so that would have cut down on the amount of siding I used.  I also used angle molding to cover the edges.  http://www.manchesterwoodworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2547  It's a good idea to give your siding one coat of paint and then sand it well before cutting and installing.  The paint helps protect the wood as you're working with it.

• Like 1

You can do either. Over the clapboard is so much easier. Cutting around the frames can be challenging. It depends on your skill level and how much extra clapboard you have in case you mess up a cut.

• Like 1

I've done it both ways.  IMO putting the frames over the clapboard looked too bulky, and that was in 1:12; so now I lay the frame over the window opening, trace around it, set it aside and trim the clapboard to fit around the trace line.  Once the clapboard is installed and painted I pop the window frame 9nto place.

• Like 1