Mixed Media Dollhouses

I haven't worked on any of my regular dh's in a couple of months. I've been trying some other creative outlets. I recently borrowed a book from the library on creating mixed media dollhouses

This is the book, in case anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Media-Dollhouses-Techniques-Doll-size-Assemblages/dp/1592535887

I've made a couple so far. It was interesting to make them because it involves presentation more than function- like, it doesn't matter if there are different sizes/scales mixed, or if some stuff is glued down or if something doesn't look "real" because they're meant to reflect an idea, rather than a reality.

I've made three, and the first two have images in the gallery: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7953

I write more in-depth about the challenges on my blog, though: http://thetiedyedlibrarian.blogspot.com/2017/05/mixed-media-dollhouses.html

Has anyone else read this book, and/or created some dollhouses like these before? I'd love to talk more about these ideas with someone!

• Like 2

I have seen this book and was wondering about it - thanks for the info. I have always wanted to experiment with mixed media/outside the box dollhouses...but I'm short on time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I have seen this book and was wondering about it - thanks for the info. I have always wanted to experiment with mixed media/outside the box dollhouses...but I'm short on time.

The best thing about these types of dh's is how cheap they are! I use just regular cardboard boxes (reinforce them w/ gesso before painting/papering), and I use magazine pages alot.

They are a great way to experiment, or try a new idea out, without the commitment of tons of time and money.

• Like 1

That looks fun! I did some work sort of like this... usually with spare materials I have laying around from other projects, I see it as a fun way of recycling stuff. Perhaps one day I will post some pics, they are a bit more diorama-ish... not exactly your tipical roombox/shadowbox kind of work, more like as someone mentioned above: a '3D collage' of mixed materials and random bits :P

8 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

Reminds me of the dollhouse that Phoebe (from "Friends") made .

That's one of my all-time favorite episodes!

And I always wondered afterwards where Monica kept the dh in her apartment. If she just tucked it away in the corner, or put it in storage, or what because it's never seen or mentioned again.  .  .

The thing I really like about this sort of project is, you can pick it up and just do it without any planning. Go to your stash of supplies, pull out what you think looks good together and make something. Complete freedom to do what you please! And you could do something great in half an hour. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

The thing I really like about this sort of project is, you can pick it up and just do it without any planning. Go to your stash of supplies, pull out what you think looks good together and make something. Complete freedom to do what you please! And you could do something great in half an hour. 

Yes! The first one I did (the 1/144 scale) came together in no time. And since I don't have any 1/144 scale dh's, it was a good way to use that random bit of furniture that had been kicking around in my supplies for years.

• Like 1

I've seen this book too, I really like the idea, and that's one reason I loved doing my fairy house..and still add to it with found objects etc., anything goes in the fairy kingdom.

• Like 3