The Willow Half Scale

Roxxie2

I was wondering if anyone has built the Willow Half Scale dollhouse and replaced the stairs that comes with the kit with the Houseworks  half scale stairs?   I need to know if it fit?   I am not crazy about the stairs as it is hidden.   Thanks

Hi Sarah!    I tried that....crooked as heck!   lol    The more I search on the internet,  the more I see that half scale is really lacking.  I do love the ease of working in this scale.  Has anyone else noticed a complete lack of furniture?   I have to go check Greenleaf and see if they have some half scale furniture I can modify. 

• Like 1

Well, not a complete lack (but almost). :-)  Bespaq and JBM both make beautiful 1:24 pieces, but they tend to be a bit pricey.  Check out Mountain Miniatures for a really nice selection of half-scale items.  You can also get kits for furniture from SDKMini EtchersKaren Benson, and Teresa's Miniature Creations.  And I regularly check eBay for OOAK pieces or some of the nicer pieces used.  

• Like 1

I used houseworks stairs in place of the kit stairs in the half scale Diana I built. You will most likely need to add a small shim at the base to make them fit (I added it at the top, but would do it differently now), and you will need to either enlarge the floor openings on the Willow or cut down the stairs through the width. I cut the stairs through the width to create a narrower staircase for the Diana so that the stairs fit the existing floor opening. 

• Like 1

Deborah   great links!  I have scoured the internet for 1/2 scale and found some of these sites but not all.   Interesting how there is so little for kitchens.   I would love to continue with this scale because I have run out of space for the 1 inch scale but for lack of accessories I would be putting the same items in all the houses.  LOL    Thanks for the response!  :)

• Like 1

I hear you.  Accessories are another problem area for half scale.  You really need to think outside the box sometimes.  I use a lot of unpainted metal minis (do check out the Virtual Dollhouse if you haven’t already).  I also really love using charms and beads (particularly Peruvian ceramic beads) for my accessories.   Have used charms for kitchen items (muffin tin, meat grinder, coffee pot), wall art, figurines, high-button boots, picture frames, and the like.  Check out our own Emily (FOV)’s blog for incredibly cute uses for Peruvian ceramic beads.  And don’t be afraid to order from the UK.  They tend to have more half-scale options there.  I really like A Trifle Small, but there are lots of other good vendors there.  I just had someone who was making a food item for me in half scale say, “You’ll never be able to find a casserole dish in half scale,” but I already had one that I had gotten from A Trifle Small.  :)

• Like 1

I do make a lot of my own things for all of my houses .  I have ordered from Canada but the shipping was ridiculous!   I save tons of
junk in hopes of turning it into something for my mini houses.  You never realize just how small a teapot is in half scale until you try and make one!   I like to go to Hobby Lobby if I can get there and buy charms ( I live 65 miles from the nearest anything!)   Its a challenge maybe more fun like a treasure hunt!  lol  I am going to build another half scale and use up the odds and ends in my stash and make the rest.  :)   I found a RGT half scale house in my stash that I totally forgot that I had.  I must have gotten it before I moved because when digging around for something else I came upon it in the bottom of a big box!   Yay!  

• Like 1

I think you will find the RGT house easier than the Fairfield.  ;-)  It's amazing how differently we see things once we start creating miniatures.  Everything has potential.  I've even trained my spouse, who recently came home with a found guitar pick (?) in a swirly copper color and said, "Wouldn't this make a great top for an end table in the Merrimack?"  And now it's in my stash.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I think you will find the RGT house easier than the Fairfield.  ;-)  It's amazing how differently we see things once we start creating miniatures.  Everything has potential.  I've even trained my spouse, who recently came home with a found guitar pick (?) in a swirly copper color and said, "Wouldn't this make a great top for an end table in the Merrimack?"  And now it's in my stash.

LOL, my hubby does this too. Yours is a keeper! :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Deborah   great links!  I have scoured the internet for 1/2 scale and found some of these sites but not all.   Interesting how there is so little for kitchens.   I would love to continue with this scale because I have run out of space for the 1 inch scale but for lack of accessories I would be putting the same items in all the houses.  LOL    Thanks for the response!  :)

I also sell 1/2 scale kits (furniture, houses and accessories), and am slowly building up a range. I am trying to make things that would go into different time periods or styles, and making what is not currently available.

here is my etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/RedCottageMiniatures

• Like 2

Yeah,  I opened the box to the half scale colonial and it looks so simple.  I could use one that wasn't so crazy.   I am proud of myself for getting the Fairfield together in pretty good shape.   I had to chop off a lot of tabs and make a lot of adjustments but it was a fun challenge and learning experience.   :)
I got the Fairfield for a Christmas present so I felt obligated to build it even though there were times when I so wanted to throw it in the trash bin!
The only mini object that Ray ever saved for me is beer bottle tops!   I told him once that I could use them to make a pie dish in 1 inch scale so every so often he saves one for me.  
Too funny!  

• Like 1

Another half scale Willow question.  Has anyone reversed the stairs so that it is back facing instead of to the front where you can't see it?  Why even put a stairs in if you can't see it?  I already did that with my Fairfield.   LOL :p