Stain for roof shingles

Lise A

Hi everyone, My Pierce has decided that it needs to be white with dark grey trim. Has anyone had success with staining roof shingles grey? I don't want to paint them but I also think they need a grey tone. I would appreciate any tips and/or recommendations.

Yes Lisa I have used grey twice.  There are pics in my albums.  I got the stain in the dollhouse section of Hobby Lobby. You just mix it with water.  And dip a lot at a time.  I then air dry hem on an old screen. 

• Like 2

I stained the shingles on my Fairfield grey using water based black wood stain. Usually I buy the stains in a basic colors ('red', 'yellow', 'blue', 'black'), then adjust by mixing them and adding water. For grey you can go as dark or as light as you want using the basic black (the shingles have a very light color as base), just add in as much water as you need to get the color you want. Test a few samples on spare bits of wood and let it dry for a few days to make sure. For this medium grey I added about 2/3 portions of water for 1 portion of black, for light grey I would try 6/8 portions of water for the same amount of black, depending on your base. 

• Like 2

If you want that silvery "aged" gray mix India ink into isopropyl alcohol and brush it on a test shingle until you get the color you like; start with just a couple of drops of ink into a cup of alcohol, and add more ink a drop or two at a time until you get the color.  You can also take black and white acrylic paints and mix them to get the shade of gray you want, and then add water until it's a wash and use that.

• Like 3

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm going to give it a try...in a few months at the rate this construction is going. I must have lost a box of pieces in one of the many moves. I have had to recreate, not just the staircase but, walls and doors and roof parts. Its a work in progress. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures to the gallery. Nothing I do seems to work. I get a picture uploaded but then when I hit continue everything disappears wa waaaa!

Ha! As soon as I finished complaining I thought I would try one more time and sure enough, pictures uploaded.  Now I'll have to get over my "neighbor envy" and post my pictures even though I never think my work is as good as everyone else's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lise A said:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm going to give it a try...in a few months at the rate this construction is going. I must have lost a box of pieces in one of the many moves. I have had to recreate, not just the staircase but, walls and doors and roof parts. Its a work in progress. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures to the gallery. Nothing I do seems to work. I get a picture uploaded but then when I hit continue everything disappears wa waaaa!

Sorry for your troubles but thanks for the reassurance that I am not alone. I think you actually described my entire existence. 

• Like 1

I used the method of steel wool in vinegar for grey stain on shingles.    I let it soak for a week.  The steel wool dissolves in the vinegar.  I thinned it some with water during the dying process.  I did a test of a couple of shingles for color.  It only took about 5 - 7 minutes total to get them this.

medium.2017-03-22_21.33.06.jpg.b68305e0dmedium.58f82859ebfa2_2017-04-1922.08.25.