Glencroft!

uppitycats

I'm so excited!!  I found a Glencroft on craigslist already built but unfinished, for only $25!  I don't have it yet....husband will be picking it up later in the month...but from the pictures there is a lot to be done in it.  I love rehabbing and redoing, so it's gonna be a fun summer!  I'm thinking the tricky part is getting around that staircase.  Any other major obstacles I should know about?

Edited by Catdancer

I built mine and then finished it - it was easy to paint. I redid my window trim and added more timber trim after the fact. I think it will be fun. 

The window seat areas might be tricky to paper/paint, but I think everyone is better at that than I am...good luck! $25 is great!

That's a Really good deal!! The stairway is the hardest part to decorate! I think building the kit was the most difficult part of this house! If I could find one at that price, boy, I'd pounce on it too! That's a true deal indeed!! :) Congrats on the Awesome fine! Any ideas of what it will be? Or are you waiting to get it in your hands to  "feel" what it wants to be?

2 hours ago, Minis On The Edge said:

That's a Really good deal!! The stairway is the hardest part to decorate! I think building the kit was the most difficult part of this house! If I could find one at that price, boy, I'd pounce on it too! That's a true deal indeed!! :) Congrats on the Awesome fine! Any ideas of what it will be? Or are you waiting to get it in your hands to  "feel" what it wants to be?

I'm sure when I lay hands on it, it'll figure out just how to fit in with the rest of Catterville!  I am already thinking about story lines for another chapter of my little book, and the characters that will live in it.  Catterville has grown significantly, now with Graham's Grub-N-Stuff moving to it's new, larger quarters (General Store), with Elise Fuhr's Music and Dance studio on the second floor.  Graham's old shop has been bought by Maggie GoodCat's girls, and they're planning to open Sew Nice! in there.  And the villagers are watching the Lighthouse being finished, wondering just who is moving in there. Talk is, it's a retired sea captain who went to the trouble of moving the lighthouse from the ocean to Catterville, which is far from the sea!  The Bayer Brothers, two polar bears, are looking for a den, too.  It'll be a busy building summer in town, this year!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I got my Glencroft.  It was advertised as "complete, except for the roof, which needs shingles".  Well, not exactly.   :)

Turns out the house was built with hot glue.  Pieces are already breaking off.  And slots are all exposed.  And it had been papered some time in the past, and somebody tried (without much success) to remove the paper, so it's all lumpy.  And it has a strange beam thing in the upstairs room (not the one with the staircase).  The staircase seems to be constructed well..which I guess is a good thing, as it looks tricky.  But it, too, was hot glued...and some steps are loose...so I'll probably have to dismantle it as well.  And some of the beams on side are missing.  And there are no doors, or windows.  I'm not sure what else is going on -- this was only a preliminary examination. I'm sure when I actually get in to it, there will be more. I need to find some pictures of completed Glencrofts to see just what else might be missing...  :) 

It's going to be a fun rehab!!   :)  :) 

8 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Ann, check out the Team Glencroft building blog.  I would grab the heat gun and some new transparent plastic.Y

Yes, I just read through your blog.  Looks like the beam that Is in mine is where it is supposed to be, a good thing!   But much of the construction will need to be de-constructed, and put back together.  I'm not sure how the wallpaper was put on; I'll dry a couple of things to try to get it off, including some water (hoping it is just white glue that was used), or a heat iron.  I think I'm going to call Greenleaf and ask for windows and window trim...hoping all the trim will be on one or two sheets...I don't want to buy a whole other kit just to bash this one!  :)  I can do myself, have lots of plastic, but I do like the look of the "originals".. 

Anyway, I don't have any more time to play with it today, but am looking forward to arming myself with that heat gun....

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You can make the window trim and new doors & trim from basswood and skinny sticks.

Window trims, etc., can also be made from mat board. If it is painted, no one will know it's not wood.

Windows:  Yes, I have to find some close up pictures to see just what the Tudor windows looked like, but I've made windows before, so no big deal if I go that route.  I'm a long way from windows though:  have to tackle all the structural problems first....

• 3 weeks later...