Fair offer on vintage Artply Tennyson 99 Kit

Hello everyone! I'm hoping you all can help me determine a fair offer on a vintage Tennyson Kit 99. It is the 1/12 scale and there is a listing on EBay for the exact model for $49.95. Considering the distance I would need to drive to pick it up, and the estimated value using the EBay listing as a guide, I was thinking about offering $35-40 with a cap of $45. (maybe $50?) Is this a reasonable offer? Does anyone have experience with the vintage Tennyson kit? ( not the current laser cut) Thanks! 

Hi Amber,

I just bought this house off of Ebay.  I paid $59.99 + $30 dollars shipping.

I totally misread your initial post. If you are going to pick it up, haggle. The worst they can do is say no.

Edited by Mid-life madness
error

18 minutes ago, KathieB said:

An item is worth what you're willing to pay for it. Period. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks is a fair offer.

I can't argue with that. I've disregarded the value vs price many times when I've found the perfect item to fit what I have created in my imagination. I think in this instance, I am coming from how much I am willing to offer based on knowledge that I am a newbie and have not completed my first house. So how much is a realistic price for an item that will not be used for a while? This I know is really more of a personal question. In addition, I would feel guilty if I was really lowballing the price but I do not believe that is the case.  Offering $35 with expectation of paying $40 because I do think that it is worth more than $35. So maybe I would like some feedback on a fair price that does not seem insulting the seller. Does that make sense? 

If it were me, I would offer $30. Or less. But that is how I am with kits.

You can haggle from there if you have to. But I'll bet you won't have to - do you think there are a lot of miniaturists in the area who would go for it? If you know the mini-market isn't hot in your area, make a low offer to start the ball rolling...

I totally agree with the "offer what you want to pay". Don't worry about offending - it will start a conversation. At worst, the seller will say "I can't go that low..." and then you can go up. Or you can walk away. I have made offers deemed too low then they were accepted later. I also made a very low offer on a dollhouse that was for sale for months and the seller counter offered me a very reasonable price (75% off)...so I bought it. So - try something/anything!

I think you have answered it - you took a value from ebay, subtracted the travel effort...seems like you have a fair price. You aren't trying to rip them off. And if you really want to - you can mention that in your email (gas/travel time). Not insulting at all. I think you are being really fair.

• Like 2

Sounds fair.

Whenever it's available I make good use of the "make offer" button on eBay. I low ball and expect a counter offer..that's how it should work, but 9 times out of 10 they surprisingly accept my low offer without a counter. Probably just glad to make the sale and not have to relist. 

• Like 1

Should say...Unless it's an artisan handmade item...in that case I have a hard time negotiating even with a "make offer" because I appreciate handmade so much and wouldn't want to insult the artist. In that case it would be more, this is what I can afford to offer, not this is what I think it's worth..

On 5/4/2017, 12:35:46, Mid-life madness said:

Hi Amber,

I just bought this house off of Ebay.  I paid $59.99 + $30 dollars shipping. I believe you can search your item that you want to sell on Ebay and it will show you what other houses have sold for. I was the only watcher and bidder, so maybe it would have sold faster for a lower price. I think the shipping costs deter a lot of buyers. If you can offer free shipping but offset it by raising the price it might sell faster.

BOO! I would have bought it from you first.

I am actually hoping to buy it. Your cost does help me so thanks for replying. My costs are a lot less picking it up than what you paid in shipping. Even at the high-end of what I can offer I would be close (less shipping) to what you paid. I'll let you know if I get it. 

I got the vintage Tennyson for $55. It is lower than the asking price and $5 more than what I was hoping to cap. I emailed stating that I had checked EBay and had asked for feedback from all of you. I also told the seller that my intent was not to try and lowball but with my travel time and expense I felt it was what I could afford. The seller countered with $55. I didn't think twice. I pick it up tomorrow. I'm super excited because my current project is modeled after our actual house that is under renovation. The choices for it take me forever because I am constantly thinking about how authentic I hope that it will be when it is finished. I think this house will be much more of a childhood fantasy dollhouse. I'm already debating paint choices. Thanks everyone!

• Like 3