Stair rail supplies

MaryBethD

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good source to purchase components for a stair rail? My kit came with extremely basic stairs that I've jazzed up but as I'm looking for stair rail components, I'm not able to tell in most cases which spindles will fit in the groove of which rails. I've checked several sources, but this is new to me since this is my first dollhouse. I'm basically just googling for the pieces. Any recommendations? By the way, here are pics of the kit version of the stairs as well as my non-glued-in-place steps. Gotta paint and do flooring  enforce making it permanent. Thanks for any recommendations you can give me!

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

• Like 3

Hobby Lobby carries the railing and has some spindles that fit. I can't remember if they had newel posts. Just a suggestion if you don't want to wait on shipping. Here is a picture of the spindles http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=128286

12 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Hobby Lobby carries the railing and has some spindles that fit. I can't remember if they had newel posts. Just a suggestion if you don't want to wait on shipping. Here is a picture of the spindles http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=128286

Thank you so much!! We have a hobby lobby in Cincinnati, about 45 minutes away from me. That's much better than waiting for shipping. I wish I knew of better local miniature stores. So far those that I've been able to find are mostly for trains, etc. Not dollhouses.

I have used the handles of cocktail picks for balusters and stripwood for banisters and I have made newel posts with square stripwood and also with dowels and beads.

• Like 1

Hi Mary Beth!  

I too am a first time doll houser.. And welcome!  I'm from Michigan, but there is a doll house store in Harrison, OH. Called "Little girl in you". .  Google them to see how far the are from where you live.  They may have what you are looking for.  

I too am limited on stores and turn to the Internet.  But, nothing like talking face to face and actually seeing the items to see it they will work.  I'm working on an original stairway too, plus the whole house. I removed the stair case and fell apart; so old) . Not sure if I'm going to try to restore it or go new.  TBD :-)

Good of luck and love your staircase!  Please post progress.  

Gloria. 

2 hours ago, Just G said:

Hi Mary Beth!  

I too am a first time doll houser.. And welcome!  I'm from Michigan, but there is a doll house store in Harrison, OH. Called "Little girl in you". .  Google them to see how far the are from where you live.  They may have what you are looking for.  

I too am limited on stores and turn to the Internet.  But, nothing like talking face to face and actually seeing the items to see it they will work.  I'm working on an original stairway too, plus the whole house. I removed the stair case and fell apart; so old) . Not sure if I'm going to try to restore it or go new.  TBD :-)

Good of luck and love your staircase!  Please post progress.  

Gloria. 

Thanks, Gloria! I will check out that store. It's probably only about 45 minutes away. (That's close for me. I live in the middle of nowhere! Lol!) Post progress on yours too, ok?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017, 4:15:04, MaryBethD said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good source to purchase components for a stair rail? My kit came with extremely basic stairs that I've jazzed up but as I'm looking for stair rail components, I'm not able to tell in most cases which spindles will fit in the groove of which rails. I've checked several sources, but this is new to me since this is my first dollhouse. I'm basically just googling for the pieces. Any recommendations? By the way, here are pics of the kit version of the stairs as well as my non-glued-in-place steps. Gotta paint and do flooring  enforce making it permanent. Thanks for any recommendations you can give me!

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

What house are you building? 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017, 5:41:33, Littlebirdieb said:

What house are you building? 

I'm building the RGT Mountain View Cottage. Apparently it was discontinued quite a few years ago but I found this one on eBay. Since I wasn't sure if I would really get into it, I didn't want to spend a lot. I love it though!

• Like 1