Cozy reading roombox

mesp2k

I finally found a room that inspired me to start building again! :cloud9:

89a8032c.jpg.8a21ebfa6afa0d548fe9baba4bc 

Local artist John Dowd's house in Provincetown. The photo is by photographer William Waldron & it was done for Elle Decor magazine.

5911d1c0df51e_readingroom2017.png.9e0240

Where I'm at now:

Floor, walls, & paneled stair wall constructed...nothing painted yet.

I finished the bookshelf & tried my hand at making an oar - I shall try again :D

Img_1989a.thumb.jpg.22c7cd23d8d7318ddc3d  click image to enlarge

I need to tackle the staircase & landing next,  :hmm:& those shutters!

• Like 4

Your copy is wonderfully faithful to the original. But considering the original, I think I'd want a better reading lamp if this is to be a room where one reads. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Your copy is wonderfully faithful to the original. But considering the original, I think I'd want a better reading lamp if this is to be a room where one reads. 

...maybe a floor lamp to the left of the chaise lounge...

I see one ceiling light over the landing - there could be more?

I'm thinking of using, out-of-sight, spot lights to highlight certain areas of room. :hmm:

18 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

...maybe a floor lamp to the left of the chaise lounge...

I see one ceiling light over the landing - there could be more?

I'm thinking of using, out-of-sight, spot lights to highlight certain areas of room. :hmm:

Maybe a slightly shorter chaise and the floor lamp to the right? A good reading light should shine over the left shoulder, I think. Lowering the existing wall light would provide better reading light and eliminate the need to jam a floor lamp into that corner. An additional spot over the end of the chaise could also help. :) 

<Wondering why I'm so concerned with the residents' eyesight :hmm: lol >

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Maybe a slightly shorter chaise and the floor lamp to the right? A good reading light should shine over the left shoulder, I think. Lowering the existing wall light would provide better reading light and eliminate the need to jam a floor lamp into that corner. An additional spot over the end of the chaise could also help. :) 

<Wondering why I'm so concerned with the residents' eyesight :hmm: lol >

Well - the first few descriptions I found of this photo were "reading room" - so I went with it...  :dunno:

Checkout the interior of John Dowd's house. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th photos are part of the - what is actually the sitting room. :doh:

New title: Cozy sitting roombox

I love the weathered look on the rug in the picture, are you going to try something like that? I never did 'ageing' effects on dollhouse rugs, I wonder if they stain well with a light wash. Now I'm feeling tempted to try it... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I love the weathered look on the rug in the picture, are you going to try something like that?

I'm too cheap to buy a rug & too impatient to make a rug, so I'll probably print a rug from an internet pic. 

I think you can iron a piece of cloth on to some freezer paper & run it thru a printer. 

The freezer paper keeps the cloth taut & flat so it hopefully does not get shut in your printer.

All of the aging would happen within a photo software program - we'll see?

I think there's a GL topic or two about printing on paper towels.  :)

If you use a picture of a rug from a magazine (Architectural Digest and other home décor magazines are good sources) you can glue a single ply of facial tissue over it (use a clear-drying tacky glue & make the tissue sheet just as flat & smooth as you can) to get rid of the shiny nd make a more realistic-looking texture that's in scale.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you use a picture of a rug from a magazine (Architectural Digest and other home décor magazines are good sources) you can glue a single ply of facial tissue over it (use a clear-drying tacky glue & make the tissue sheet just as flat & smooth as you can) to get rid of the shiny nd make a more realistic-looking texture that's in scale.

Low tech! Thanks Holly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

Low tech! Thanks Holly.

I read that trick in an old Chilton publication, back when they published Helen Ruthberg & Virginia Merrill & other books on making dollhouses & miniatures.  I have a low tech mind!

• Like 1

I'm using 'Tiny Trim' basswood molding 21/64" x 5/8" x 4 ft.   TT14.     

Got it at Home Depot - might be available at Lowes also.

There's about 17 different ones, all 4 feet long & most are only a couple bucks.

1st I ripped the TT14 molding down the center, this gives me 2 crown moldings for the price of one.

The extra crown molding I sanded down flat to create the window casing:

I put the decorative side down then ran it thru the thickness sander to about 1/16" thick.

Lastly I squared up the edges on the mini table saw.

To the right is the chair rail - same as window casing but added small strip of wood on top,

591316c0a3ec3_windcaschairrail.png.542d8click image to enlarge

& rounded front edge with a wood block / a rounded groove, sandpaper glued in the groove.

I use this sanding block for stair tread front edges also.

59131df3ea69b_rdnosesandblk.jpg.d11080c9

• Like 2

I recently checked out a decorating book from our local library called Decorating With Books. I don't know the author but you may find it by searching with the title. I thought it may be useful for making copies for images that could be used in your box. I love books and I love decorating with books too. I also really love the idea for your room box! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

I'm using 'Tiny Trim' basswood molding 21/64" x 5/8" x 4 ft.

Wow.  Excellent use of materials.  Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.  For the rug, I'll bet you can find an image of a rug already aged online.

• Like 1

I cut out the 4 shutter frames - now the louvers? :hmm:The frames are grooved just in case I want movable louvers??

shutters.jpg.85dceba1f6726f33a7ed5e16bfe

...piece of wood at the foot of the bookcase:

I ripped a 3/16" dowel - made 2 halves, then ripped the 2 halves - got (4) wonky 1/16" quarter moldings.

I need to make some kind of jig??  The room has no baseboards -  just 1/4 rd. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mesp2k said:

The room has no baseboards -  just 1/4 rd

Good eye.  I hadn't even noticed that.  You know, they do make 1/16 quarter round:  http://www.miniatures.com/One-Piece-of-116-Quarter-Round-Moulding-24L-P21007.aspx  I know you are really, really good at DIY, but just in case you get tired.  :)  I like that you set up the shutter frames so that the louvers could be moveable.  Have you thought of using HO scale "lumber" for the louvers themselves?  Not sure on the size, as I am used to half scale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mesp2k said:

I'm too cheap to buy a rug & too impatient to make a rug, so I'll probably print a rug from an internet pic. 

I think you can iron a piece of cloth on to some freezer paper & run it thru a printer. 

The freezer paper keeps the cloth taut & flat so it hopefully does not get shut in your printer.

All of the aging would happen within a photo software program - we'll see?

I think there's a GL topic or two about printing on paper towels.  :)

And if you want a crossed stitched rug to test things out with have a look Here (scroll down a little and the rugs start) 

• Like 1

Stairs in dry fit - 3 stringers, the risers fit behind the treads.   :construction:

The risers are 1/16" thick & the treads are 0.104" thick, that's about 1-1/4" at 1/12 scale. 

stairs.jpg.d10767971d42923f4d12d66b90908

...analyzing why I like this photo: 

I noticed that the tufted lines of the chaise & its shape compliment the

stair wall planks & its triangular shape.

Don't get me started on the bookcase shelves, the books, louvers & steps.

591450f980419_sittingrmpaneltrianglechai

...ok, so I get'n a little punchy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Adore they way you Connect the sota so to speak, and I see it too :) and it is indeed a nice composition that ties the Linnés together perfectly

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mesp2k said:

It was probably all a coincidence, but now that you've pointed it out you're going to have to keep it all tied together.  

• Like 1

Paint party! :cheers:BYOB

If you click the image to enlarge it you might see the walls have a slight texture - I was going for a vintage plaster look.

I might rub the walls with a brown paper bag here & there for a bit of shine - maybe parts of the floor too.

I mixed the color, so not sure what it is - kind of cool beige?  The ceiling is still damp & shiny.

I used black paint to fill in the grooves of the floor & stair wall planks, then wiped

off the excess - leaving the black in the grooves, also in the pores of the wood.

I sanded them a bit - will add thinned layers of blues/greys to the stair wall.

The floors are more of a charcoal grey.

The bookcase & trim will be an off white - semi-gloss. 

5914e053018d9_textureblackplanks.thumb.j