Cozy reading roombox

55 posts in this topic

Wow, this is really looking good!  Love your book idea.  The wood, oar and rug all look great.  I'd go with foam and fabric for the chaise, too, but I don't have the tools for shaping wood, and I'm terrible at polymer clay.

1 person likes this

I've been patiently waiting to see the oar. Love it!

1 person likes this

I like the idea of gluing the printed rug to poster board. Much more realistic than cloth alone.

1 person likes this

This is looking Fabulous Mike! I love seeing this room come to life! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• My first project is complete and it has special meaning!
      By rocks911
      I spent a lot of time at my grandparents when I was a child. After my grandpa's passing I wanted to create a room box of their kitchen, as this is where we spent most of our time. I can still remember my grandpa sitting at his special place at the table and my grandma slaving over the store making one of her many, delicious suppers! It took me years to complete the room box because of time restraints but I can happily say that I think I'm complete! I actually completed it just in time to showcase it at my grandma's funeral. It was a huge hit!

Started w/the outside; Family pictures at my grandparent's over the years

In progress- Photo of my Grandpa and niece at the kitchen table. Starting to looks so real!

My grandpa taught me how to color so a coloring book and crayons on the table were a must!

Walking into the kitchen; I always remembered the duck on the counter holding pens and bills, the family tree plaques and antlers above my grandpa's chair, some type of pie or baked good being prepped for baking on the counter, green Kool-Aid was always made in the waiting in the frig, my grandpa's inhailer always on the window sill by his chair at the table, the latest family photos stuck in the trim behind my Grandpa's chair, the rug that my Grandpa had to have under his feet when sitting at the table and the most important- cards on the table from the hundreds of crazy 8 games that were played!

The retro metal sink and dumplings cooking on the stove (a family fav!)

My grandparents only source of heat! This was also grandma's favorite way of cooking. Notice the huge burn mark on the floor- that was Grandma- she dropped the stove cover one day! Opps!

Top view of the entire roombox

My grandpa and his annual growing of his amaryllis. Notice it on the table!

My grandparents! My Inspiration! Miss them dearly!

• rsz-img-4467.jpg
      By Mid-life madness
      I decided to add a little lamp to the room box so It would serve 2 purposes.
      The roof was a DIY faux verdigris on cardboard.
      I really wanted to add chatskis on top of the cabinets, but I really want to start the Laurel!
    • German Roomboxes
      By thriftymini
      There were also RL room displays in addition to factory equipment.
    • German Roomboxes
      By thriftymini
      We just happened to visit the Deutsches Schuhmuseum in Hauenstein Germany when they had special exhibit,"Nostalgie im Museum".
    • First Roombox Disaster - Help?
      By Leoin
      Hey guys! I started making my first roombox (a kitchen) last week out of foam core after seeing a few tutorials listed as using it. I added my wood flooring and wallpaper before putting the box together, and when I came back after a few days to look at the finished dried product everything was horribly warped. I attempted to glue it together and force it to straighten out since I was desperate, but that didn't end so great. Now I'm just discouraged.

How do you go about making a roombox out of foam board? I just stumbled across something that said to glue/paper the backside too, but I don't see how that would prevent warp. Should I have glued it all together first? I have plenty of matboard, but since that is thinner, wouldn't it also warp?

I really want to try my hand at making my own rooms, and I have no access to any kind of tool that would cut sturdier wood. Advice/links appreciated.