Frustrated

Beulah

I am soooo frustrated.  Can you hear me yelling?  I swear if I ever get this 1/2 scale house built, I will NEVER buy another 1/2 scale.  Nothing fits.  I bought 1/2 scale parquet flooring. Now, does it fit? Of course not.  It's not even out a 1/16 of an inch so I could fill it in, in the back.  I am about ready to paint the floor and put the house in the attic.  

No I still feel like crying.  lol.  I  just can't get the things to fit.  I've spent to much money and time on this little house, and it just won't come together.  Thanks for the Hugs :) 

I am so very sorry for your frustration.  I wish I could help.  For the bungalow, I made my floors three ways:  Plastic tile (half scale) in the bathroom.  Wood veneer cut into strips for the bedroom and living room.  In the kitchen, I printed a "linoleum tile" floor, glued it to a template, and put ModPodge over it for sealing/a bit of sheen.  (The beauty of that approach was that I could size it exactly to fit before printing.)  ((hugs)) from me, too.  I hope you can get it to work out.

• Like 2

OOh, I hate to hear someone is frustrated over something that should be a happy experience. Sometimes it takes walking away for a while to sort out the challenges. Putting it in the attic for a while may be the right thing to do. If it's fighting you this hard, life isn't going to get better very soon.

• Like 1

It may just be time for Happy Hour lol.  It just makes me so upset that I bought all the parquet.  If they can't make them to fit, they should not sell them.  Looks like I will be doing different floors. (after happy hour lol)

• Like 1

I used to have fights like this with my Glencroft. Take a deep breath, count to ten. Google some images of other dollhouses like yours...for inspiration/distraction.

I ended up scraping a spackled-onto-the-wood stone floor (that installed) off my glencroft's kitchen, redoing all window frames, and don't even get me started on those &*^%$ stairs in the glencroft.

But we are happy now. It will work out for the best. I know it doesn't seem like that.

On the flip side, I once put a partially started Buttercup shell in the trash. DONE. Over. I got so mad at it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beulah said:

It may just be time for Happy Hour lol.  It just makes me so upset that I bought all the parquet.  If they can't make them to fit, they should not sell them.  Looks like I will be doing different floors. (after happy hour lol)

Can they fit somewhere else? Entry way, hall? Well...good luck! I hear ya.

• Like 1

fov, the length by the width, of the house is not the right dimensions for the parquet when placed on the floor.  It is out by less than 1/16 "  So there will be a space at the back wall.  If I move them back then the space will be at the edge of the floor on the back. The baseboard is not thick enough to hide the space either, tried that too 

36 minutes ago, Beulah said:

fov, the length by the width, of the house is not the right dimensions for the parquet when placed on the floor.  It is out by less than 1/16 "  So there will be a space at the back wall.  If I move them back then the space will be at the edge of the floor on the back. The baseboard is not thick enough to hide the space either, tried that too 

Consider adding a border trim piece either all the way around (which means cutting down your parquet) or at the edge. Will finishing trim cover the gap? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

Consider adding a border trim piece either all the way around (which means cutting down your parquet) or at the edge. Will finishing trim cover the gap? 

Ooooh yes...all the around would be lovely and fancy. 

• Like 1

Push the parquet all the way to the rear and place "L" trim in the front.  I've had to do the for most of my builds. The trim gives it a clean finished look.

Not a great picture but look how the carpet edge is covered by the trim:

Also hard to see be look in the right corner how the trim is covering the tile and wood floor edges.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101057

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sable said:

Push the parquet all the way to the rear and place "L" trim in the front.  I've had to do the for most of my builds. The trim gives it a clean finished look.

Not a great picture but look how the carpet edge is covered by the trim:

Also hard to see be look in the right corner how the trim is covering the tile and wood floor edges.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101057

That looks fantastic. And seems easier than all the way around. Nice tip!

• Like 1

It's also called corner trim or angle trim. Something like this: http://www.miniatures.com/12-Corner-Moulding-P16863.aspx

Or if you only have access to plain strip wood, you can create your own by gluing one piece to the front edge and then gluing a second piece that butts up against it to create the corner.

If it's only off by 1/16", another thought is to put a piece of strip wood the same height as the parquet at the back to fill up the gap, stained to match the parquet - once the baseboard is on only a tiny sliver should be showing and it will be at the back so not very noticeable, it should blend right in.

Or, if you haven't wallpapered yet, add a piece of cardboard to the back wall that bulks up the wall just enough to make your floor the correct size.

There's always a way to fix this sort of thing! :) Personally I think it's easier to deal with things like this in half scale, everything's smaller so little fudges are less in your face, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

You could also check Micro Mark to see if they have the smaller corner molding.  Northeastern Scale Lumber carries all sorts of moldings; you want to scroll down the page to see what they show:  http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/uploads/pdfs/NESLCatalog_2013.pdf

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You could also check Micro Mark to see if they have the smaller corner molding.  Northeastern Scale Lumber carries all sorts of moldings; you want to scroll down the page to see what they show:  http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/uploads/pdfs/NESLCatalog_2013.pdf

Thanks holly, I couldn't remember northwestern. That's a great choice.

• Like 1