Frustrated

Beulah

Maybe we have moon madness...I also wanted to scream, cry, stomp my feet, pull my hair out, throw something, etc today. A mini project I'm working on is turning out to be 1000 times more frustrating and difficult than I expected. Just know that you're not the only one who feels this way right now lol. And I did keep asking myself...this is supposed to be fun right?

Hope you find the best solution...get a good nights sleep, look on it with fresh eyes tomorrow. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

You could also check Micro Mark to see if they have the smaller corner molding.  Northeastern Scale Lumber carries all sorts of moldings; you want to scroll down the page to see what they show:  http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/uploads/pdfs/NESLCatalog_2013.pdf

11 hours ago, Sable said:

Thanks holly, I couldn't remember northwestern. That's a great choice.

Not Northwestern; I don't think they exist any longer.

• Like 1

Hi Joanne,

Hang in there! Dollhouse are meant to temp us in with their cozy possibilities. What they really are is a series of complicated problem solving puzzles with a (hopefully) big payoff at the end. Look at all you've overcome to get to this point, breathe, remember that inspirational dream that began you on this journey, then begin again when you feel ready. Some of us leave a project sitting for a long time before we feel ready to take it on again. 

This search page from http://stores.ebay.com/Manchester-Dollhouse-and-Wood-Works/_i.html?_nkw=corner&submit=Search&_sid=137160344 has several corner molds depending on how large your gap is.

Sending peace, luck and hopeful wishes that this problem will be in your rear view very quickly!

Jodi

• Like 1

Happy to know you are feeling better, taking a break and looking for advice does help to clear our thoughts :) 

Your bungalow is looking lovelly so far, I have also tried 'pre-fab' parket floors but I didn't have any scaling issues (I used Brodnax parket on 2 floors of my Fairfield). At the time it hadn't occured to me to try veneer, later I used it to make floorboard and now I just love working with the material! It's very thin so works really well for half scale, it's also much cheaper than the pre-made parket I bought, so now it's my no. 1 choice for floors. On my 1:12 I'll be using veneer to make the parket floors as well, it's a good option to keep in mind for the future. But in the meantime, do use the parket you already have! If it's the same brand I got it is accurate to scale and stains very nicely, a bit pricey but it will look good when finished.

• Like 1

Ashley, I think Joanne's problem is that her parquet floors don't fit her Fairfield.  I didn't have that issue because I made myself nearly blind scribing the "boards" into the kit floors in 1:24.

Sable, enjoy your fuzzy drugs and rejoice when all of this is behind you.  I really miss Northwestern Scale Lumber, I got some mini furniture kits from them, including my Mission-styled dining set:

the parlor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ashley, I think Joanne's problem is that her parquet floors don't fit her Fairfield.  I didn't have that issue because I made myself nearly blind scribing the "boards" into the kit floors in 1:24.

I don't know what kind of kit she is using, the ones I tried come in pre-cut pieces that fit in a pattern. I had to trim the ones on the back row because of course the size won't fit 100%, but they were easy to cut with a hobby knife. I think with those kits it's easier to start flooring from the 'open side' of the house, if using a border you can also start from the middle/center of the room to make sure the pattern will be centered.

I admire your patience, I scribled 'boards' in the inner portion of the staircase and my fingers felt sore for days lol.

• Like 1

Thank You everyone for your help and support. The "L" idea is working.  Now I have run out of parquet.  Lol.  It's not perfect. But for the first time at parquet it's just fine.  Thank you.  

IMG_2398.JPG

• Like 3

Very nice!  Which room is this?  Did you shift the kitchen wall on the first floor?  (And you know, you could always just put plain wood/mat board in that gap, and cover with a rug.  I've seen people do that in real life!)

• Like 1

I never thought about doing a rug in the middle.  They want as much to ship as they do buy one pack of parquet.  I'm not sure if I switched the rooms around, just looked better with the upstairs the way it was separated lol 

Very pretty! Another solution for the gap is to remove the parquet you have around the outer edge -- put those pieces in the center instead -- and put plain floorboards around the outer edge. I Googled "parquet with border" and it seems fairly common to have a fancier design inside the border and regular floorboards outside the border.

• Like 1