windows

debbru

I accidentlally ripped the windows that came with my dolls house 'storybook cottage', I've cut out replacement windows out of some transparency film but can anyone tell me can you draw designs on the transparency film & what do you use?

I have used acrylic paint straight from the tube with a liner brush (00 or smaller) for lead lines when I make "stained glass" windows.  You could also just leave them plain.

5 hours ago, debbru said:

I accidentlally ripped the windows that came with my dolls house 'storybook cottage', I've cut out replacement windows out of some transparency film but can anyone tell me can you draw designs on the transparency film & what do you use?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have used acrylic paint straight from the tube with a liner brush (00 or smaller) for lead lines when I make "stained glass" windows.  You could also just leave them plain.

I've never been able to paint precise lines with a liner brush, no matter what the size. I'd look at permanent markers for drawing and narrow tape for a more solid look..

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I read somewhere that someone used Magic Markers.

You could have read it a couple posts above this one. :roflmao: 

• Like 1

Debbie, you can also order a replacement window sheet from Greenleaf directly. There are so many different options for windows, depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it. Its hard to draw the lines by hand and get them straight, you'd want to put the old windows under the transparency to give you a guide. 

On 12/05/2017, 10:11:16, havanaholly said:

Thank you for your help. I have decided to leave them blank, can you tell me how you remove hot melt glue 'whiskers', I know you can just peel them off but can you use a wet cloth. Can you explain what a liner brush is.

On 13/05/2017, 10:55:32, WyckedWood said:

Debbie, you can also order a replacement window sheet from Greenleaf directly. There are so many different options for windows, depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it. Its hard to draw the lines by hand and get them straight, you'd want to put the old windows under the transparency to give you a guide. 

Thank you for your help. I have decided to leave them blank, can you tell me how you remove hot melt glue 'whiskers', I know you can just peel them off but can you use a wet cloth. Can you explain what a liner brush is.

Peel. Water won't do it.

A liner brush is a very narrow brush used to paint narrow lines. No matter how hard I try to keep my hand steady, I find slight flaring and narrowing in the line. For me, it is not possible to paint the clean lines necessary for window muntins and mullions.

I can't paint straight narrow lines for muntins & mullions, but for the stained glass lead lines it doesn't look wonky; so I suppose for short, controlled strokes I can do it.

Hot glue....maybe you've come to this conclusion on your own, but it's not the best to use. Just messy and doesn't hold well over time, creates bulk and it can melt the windows. I don't know if a cloth would work you might have to just roll the glue off by hand. Probably best not to wet them or the glue could smudge. Tacky glue like Alene's brand is much better. 

Liner brush is a just a thin paint brush, in painting it's used for making thin lines and details. 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I can't paint straight narrow lines for muntins & mullions, but for the stained glass lead lines it doesn't look wonky; so I suppose for short, controlled strokes I can do it.

As the former proud owner/operator of a stained glass shop, wavering lead lines make me crazy. If the piece is leaded, the lead should be as precise as a wooden muntin or mullion. If it's copper foil, it should still be a clean, even design. Wavering lines are an example of poor craftsmanship in my book. But that's just me.

(And I accept that with copper foil, varying the width of the line can be an essential component of the design, but that's another facet of the craft, art glass, not window glass.)