House Foundation

angt29

I finished part of my house foundation with clay stones that I made and painted, and Andi' Mortar.  When I was working on the house house yesterday I accidentally flicked the stone with my finger, and the mortar just started crumbling apart.  I decided to just take it as a learning experience and removed it to start over with something new.  I'm glad I didn't get that far, and I was able to clean it up pretty much good as new.  Anyhow, now I've got to do something different.  I don't want to use mortar again.  I'm sure some people have wonderful luck with it, but I don't think it's the right product for me.  I think the egg cart stones come out great based on some work I've seen from people here and online.  Are there any other techniques I haven't seen that turn out well?  I know some mentioned paper clay, which I'm going to use for stair treads, but I'm not sure about all over the bottom of the house.

I understand the method of the egg carton bricks, and I've read some blog posts, but what do most people think works best as a sealer?  For anyone who has used this technique over the years, how do the egg carton pieces hold up to time?  

Thanks!!

Angie

Since I live in a humid environment, I use real stone for my foundations. Kitchen backsplash tile works well when applied with construction adhesive. You need a Dremel with a diamond wheel to make a few cuts. 

Wow, that's wonderful that you cut up real tile, Sable!  I know I wouldn't do that, but I bet if you wanted to use it, you could just drop the tile on the floor and let it break into random pieces.  They would definitely look like real stones.  I guess those could be glued on.  Seems that would make the house super heavy if it was around the entire foundation.  Thank you both for your input!

13 minutes ago, angt29 said:

Wow, that's wonderful that you cut up real tile, Sable!  I know I wouldn't do that, but I bet if you wanted to use it, you could just drop the tile on the floor and let it break into random pieces.  They would definitely look like real stones.  I guess those could be glued on.  Seems that would make the house super heavy if it was around the entire foundation.  Thank you both for your input!

No breakage involved. They are precut into small thin pieces and attached to netting. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017, 9:49:24, Sable said:

You need a Dremel with a diamond wheel to make a few cuts. 

Have you tried cutting the tiles with a tile nipper, the kind people use who make mosaics? 

12 hours ago, KathieB said:

Have you tried cutting the tiles with a tile nipper, the kind people use who make mosaics? 

It's too hard on the hand and the shards tend to fly uncontrollably. The Dremel with the diamond wheel is nice because I line my cut with painters tape and just cut along the line. The tape holds the waste cuts. The wheel can also polish the ends for a smooth finish.

10 hours ago, Sable said:

It's too hard on the hand and the shards tend to fly uncontrollably. The Dremel with the diamond wheel is nice because I line my cut with painters tape and just cut along the line. The tape holds the waste cuts. The wheel can also polish the ends for a smooth finish.

Good points. Thanks.