Scale of dollhouse

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I am excited to be here. I just found this new hobby and passion yesterday. 
To be honest, I can't wait to begin building! But there are so many things to consider before jumping into it. 

I have tried to find out which scale I want to build. 

A lot uses 1:12 inch scale. And I am sorry, but I don't get the inch scale. I have tried to google it in centimeters, which is what I use. 

If you take this door for example: http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Dollhouses-Miniatures/Building-Electrical-Components/Miniature-Carolina-Door/p/21689

Then in centimeters it should be 19.69 high and 8.57 wide and 1.27 thick. 

Is this a 'normal' scale to use? I think it sounds a bit large for a dollhouse/miniature house. 

Thank you :)

Edited by Sunrise

Seems fine to me looking at the inches and your cm calcs  the door size listed will be for the overall size so if you measured a door at home including the casing and the frame it should be somewhere near  although not all doors are created equally in real life as in the dolls house world so as the hobby lobby door state it would be nearly 8 foot tall this includes the bottom plinth which most RL doors don't have to the top of the casing,  most UK doors are 6 foot 6 inch high or taller but add on the plinth and casing and it could be bigger.

Some of the UK stores tell you the size of cut out it fits to make it a bit easier

Hope this sort of helps

Welcome to the little family, Trine.  I have a ruler with 12 inches measured out in increments of 1/16" along one edge and in 0.10 of a centimeter along the other.  I work in 1:12 and in 1:24 scale.

I just ignore the calculations and just get things which fit into the scale I am using, as I am not into imperial measurements either. (All the metric I did at school and uni has made imperial measurements a mystery to me.) I did make a 16th scale bookcase once as I have an old Lundby house and what I did with that I just measured a 16th scale wardrobe to see how high and long it should be.

Other times, I can tell by looking at something to determine if it is too large - I bought a '24th' scale cauldron online which when I opened it, I could tell that it was a 12th scale one because it was too big.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Miniature Power tools
      By scalemodelplanet
      I have made working miniature power tools like Power drill, angle grinder, circular saw, air blower...and more with the name of "SAZOH miniature power tools"
      Here are the video links of my working power drill model (Please subscribe my youtube channel for more videos)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQumYgobBhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCyQfGLsajI

• Greetings from scale model planet
      By scalemodelplanet
      Hi I am new here and i love making scale models of different things, specially tools. 
      https://scalemodelplanet.blogspot.com/2019/10/miniature-scale-model-power-drill.html
    • help to Identify these from mixed lot of minis
      By fleabags3
      I bought a lg box of minis and wanted some help identifying these- age etc if possible .  Thank you in advance! 

• 1:16 scale furniture in 1:12 scale house?
      By mininewbie
      Hello there,
      I am new to the mini community but have been an admirer for years.   I am giving my daughter a house full of furniture for Christmas this year and in the last two days have learned a lot of things about scale that I had no idea existed.   My problem is that I fell in love with some 1:16 scale furniture and ordered it not knowing that the home kits are specific sizes.   I LOVE the 1:12 scale homes more than the 1:16 scale home and am wondering if the 1:16 scale furniture will look terrible in a 1:12 scale home?   I plan on using all 1:16 scale furniture and dolls. 
      Do any of you have both a 1:12 scale home and 1:16 scale furniture that you could show me a picture of the size difference.  I've searched everywhere online and have only been able to find pictures of the furniture compared to each other but not a 1:12 scale home with all 1:16 scale furniture inside.  
      Thank you so much!   I'm sure as I get building, I will have a million more questions as well. 
    • Dura-Craft Newberg Help
      By Stacy Nicole
      Hello,
      I stumbled upon a Newberg at a local thrift shop for $3 the other day & obviously couldn't pass bringing it home. It was spray painted pink, had glitter glue adorning the exterior window casings & the roof was a lovely sponge painted gold & purple -- OOF. Anyhow, I've repainted the exterior to mimic local Victorian home I'm in love with, but wanted to reach out for some suggestions to replace the missing trimmings for the arched window frames. Reframing the square frames was easy enough, I just used some bass wood from the craft shop, but for the curved frames I'm at a standstill. Would you suggest cardstock or mat board? I supposed  I could cut them all from wood, but it would be pricey & I'd likely ruin quite a few in the process. 

I'd also love some suggestions to add back the lovely gingerbread work to the window panes. I was thinking just adding the designs to some clear plastic with a paint pen...I've attached the house as it stands currently.